Author Topic: Qtopia 2.2 Compilation And Pngscale Error (solved!)  (Read 8220 times)

zensei

• View Profile
Qtopia 2.2 Compilation And Pngscale Error (solved!)
« on: January 28, 2008, 06:16:53 pm »
Hello all,
I am trying to compile qtopia 2.2 with gcc 2.95 (sharp arm). On the internet I can found the same error, but no answer. The same error come, when I try to compile it with gcc 4 (angstrom). Can anyone help? The error for GCC 2.95 (Sharp arm toolchain):

P.S: Qtopia tools compiled, qt - compiled.

********* Build Qtopia ************
QPE_CFG=" '-edition' 'pda' '-displaysize' '640x480' -no-qtopiadesktop -prefix '$HOME/arm/qtopia' -release -platform 'linux-g++' -xplatform 'linux-sharp-g++'"

The following configuration values have been guessed or autodetected:
-arch sharp
-fontfamilies helvetica fixed micro smallsmooth smoothtimes
-fontsizes all
-fontstyles 50 50i 75 75i
-languages en_US

Symlinking header files to include directory
Creating qmake...make[1]: Entering directory `$HOME/src/qtopia-free-2.2.0/qtopia/qmake'
.make[1]: Leaving directory `$HOME/src/qtopia-free-2.2.0/qtopia/qmake'

Creating pngscale...make[1]: Entering directory `$HOME/src/qtopia-free-2.2.0/qtopia/util/pngscale'
..make[1]: *** [../../bin/pngscale] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `$HOME/src/qtopia-free-2.2.0/qtopia/util/pngscale'
Failed to make pngscale

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 03:53:55 am by zensei »
Alexandr.
Zaurus SL-C1000, CF WLAN D-LINK 660, 2Gb SD Transcend 133x
Angstrom 2007.12r3 with altboot

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:49:28 pm »
I recall trying to build qtopia 2.2 and having problems, lpotter of trolltech was even surprised I got as far as I did using gcc2.9x as it's not AFAICT a supported combination.

Not sure whether there's any benefit in trying to get qtopia2 running with old kernel and sharp-based distros, excepting you trying to make a hybrid system replacing some components with qtopia2 but trying to keep old libs and apps for compatibility?

If you just want qtopia2 you'd be better off looking at angstrom as your baseline distro... but then you might as well leap ahead to qtopia4 - I think qtopia4 has been built/tested for it, but you'd have to check for yourself!
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

zensei

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 03:33:36 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
If you just want qtopia2 you'd be better off looking at angstrom as your baseline distro... but then you might as well leap ahead to qtopia4 - I think qtopia4 has been built/tested for it, but you'd have to check for yourself!

Qtopia 4 is good, but wat with performance? I had heard, that the qtopi4 is very slow on zaurus machines.
Alexandr.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 04:39:47 pm »
Quote from: zensei
Qtopia 4 is good, but wat with performance? I had heard, that the qtopi4 is very slow on zaurus machines.

qt-embedded-3 was apparently a real hog, but qt-embedded- (oops, qt-core-)4 is said to be better as it's more modular? I would guess that, inevitably, because it's more advanced it will need more resources, but whether that makes it unusable also depends on how well the applications can make use of shared libraries etc to maximise efficient use of code space.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

zensei

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 03:48:50 am »
I have build and run it.
The Qtopia 2.2 for Sharp ROM on SL-C1000.

1. The png-problem was: while I don't have png/uuic developer libraries on host pc.
2. In the qtopia directory exists "utils", and one of them qdwag (smth-like this) should be build for host system, but if you have the -I and -L switch in the qpe section, then it cannot link libraries (while it try to link ARM libraries for X86 build). The Makefile.target  should be modified by hand (i.e. remove -I and -L options for RAM), then source setQpeEnv, cd to it and compile, then run "make" for complete build again.
3. In the QtPalmtop/etc/default/qpe.conf, we need to add new section [Startup], and add the new key: FirstUse=1, and before start delete /etc/pointercal (ths calibration will not work with the /etc/pointercal from previous qtopia.
4. For the run, you MUST add "helvetica" fonts in the QtPalmtop/lib/fonts directory. Without this, the qtopia will start, but you see nothing except splash screen.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 04:54:38 am by zensei »
Alexandr.

lumag

• View Profile
    • http://tosa.lumag.spb.ru
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 02:54:46 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
Quote from: zensei

qt-embedded-3 was apparently a real hog, but qt-embedded- (oops, qt-core-)4 is said to be better as it's more modular? I would guess that, inevitably, because it's more advanced it will need more resources, but whether that makes it unusable also depends on how well the applications can make use of shared libraries etc to maximise efficient use of code space.

I've tried qt-extended 4.4.2 on my tosa. It looked pretty much impressive from the point of "beauty/sexy/etc.". However it was really resource hungry. Maybe it's just the lack of graphic acceleration, maybe not, but it feeled a bit "sloow". Just a bit, but not that bit one could probably live with.