Author Topic: Battery Mod For Sl-6000l Model  (Read 14042 times)

the_oak

• View Profile
    • http://
Battery Mod For Sl-6000l Model
« on: July 16, 2008, 09:59:53 pm »
I have both a 6000L and C1000 Zaurus, and was checking the battery output with a multimeter. Both batteries seem to have the same 3.7 volt output. Both batteries have 3 contacts, and voltage between the outside contacts are the same. And there is no voltage between the middle contact and either side (probably the middle contact is for charging [?] the battery). So I was thinking about fabricating a battery case that fits the 6000's battery compartment (except it will stick out about a 1/4" from the back to accomodate the thicker battery in the C1000). Then I propose to make some copper or brass contacts that are soldered to wires and to contacts on the other end. Then put the EA-BL08 battery in this box, with the contacts polarity matched up properly, and see if the 6000 can use the C1000's battery.

If it can, then I will have a 2000 mAh battery in the 6000 instead of a 1500 mAh battery. Also EA-BL08 batteries can be purchased much more cheaply than EA-BL09s.

The only thing I am not sure about is that the EA-BL09 says it is lithium polymer at the top, and lithium ion at the bottom of the same battery. (Not sure how it can be both?) The EA-BL08 is just labeled lithium ion.

Those of you who know about electronics see any obvious flaws with this plan? This shouldn't blow up my Zaurus should it?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 10:01:37 pm by the_oak »
SL-6000L running Sharp 1.12 rom, (SOLD)
Fujitsu U820 with Windows 7
White Intel MacBook

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 12:01:58 am »
I don't see any issues with it, unless you make some mistake like switching the contacts around, which may cause issues..

Another thing you may want to look at is fabricating your own battery (as long as you're making a new compartment anyway). I saw some at SparkFun that were 3.7v, 6000mAh and looked relatively small. Something like that may be fun (they were cheap, too, at 10 USD).

You may want to wait for a response from somebody who has a little better handle on things, though.

HTH
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

utx

• View Profile
    • http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:12:30 am »
The middle contact is the termistor sensor. If you don't care about temperature of your battery (you should care to prevent explosion in fire), you can replace it by resistor of a decent value. If you will ignore this pin, Zaurus will reject your battery.

Unless you plan case hacking as well, simpler solution would be improving kernel charging code (to allow charging force off: If running from external battery, there is low benefit to charge internal battery from) and then use external charger connector. You wil lose few % of energy and you should provide 5V.

the_oak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:29:19 am »
Quote from: Capn_Fish
I don't see any issues with it, unless you make some mistake like switching the contacts around, which may cause issues..

Another  thing you may want to look at is fabricating your own battery (as long  as you're making a new compartment anyway). I saw some at SparkFun that  were 3.7v, 6000mAh and looked relatively small. Something like that may  be fun (they were cheap, too, at 10 USD).

You may want to wait for a response from somebody who has a little better handle on things, though.

HTH

Do these batteries have the center contact?

Quote from: utx
The middle contact is the termistor sensor. If you don't care about temperature of your battery (you should care to prevent explosion in fire), you can replace it by resistor of a decent value. If you will ignore this pin, Zaurus will reject your battery.

Unless you plan case hacking as well, simpler solution would be improving kernel charging code (to allow charging force off: If running from external battery, there is low benefit to charge internal battery from) and then use external charger connector. You wil lose few % of energy and you should provide 5V.

Are you talking about the C1000 battery, or the one Capn_Fish mentions? I was hoping that the center contact in the C1000 battery has the same circuitry. Meaning no need for the resister. Just plug-n-play.
White Intel MacBook

Capn_Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 12:28:34 pm »
No, I don't think so...I was more thinking of using that as a semi-external battery (keep the internal one, have this one attached with a switch to activate it acting as a charger. You probably need 5v for that, though...).

My idea was muddled/flawed (it was late last night), I guess.
SL-C750- pdaXrom beta 1 (mostly unused)
Current distro: Gentoo

utx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 01:36:41 pm »
Quote from: the_oak
Do these batteries have the center contact?

Quote from: utx

Are you talking about the C1000 battery, or the one Capn_Fish mentions? I was hoping that the center contact in the C1000 battery has the same circuitry. Meaning no need for the resister. Just plug-n-play.

Both batteries have temperature sensor contact and both SL-Cxxx and SL-6000 have batter temperature check circuit (well, it is half software thing, so you can hack it a bit). Actually, temperature sensor is mandatory for all Li-Ion/Li-Pol batteries, otherwise charging is slow or risky.

If you will provide an external power via the internal battery contacts, you have to provide correct value to the center contact, otherwise zaurus rejects to boot and LED will blink (people who purchased cheap third party batteries can tell you about it). I can ask my colleague for the value, as he built a fake battery.

If you will provide an external power via the AC plug, there is no need for any resistor, but as Capn_Fish wrote, you need 5V.

the_oak

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 03:08:50 pm »
Then do you think if I use a thermal conductor (don't know if there is such a thing) to the middle contact, this would be safe to try? If so, can you suggest the part that would carry the temperatures from one contact to another?
White Intel MacBook

deluxe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:20:41 am »
Quote from: Capn_Fish
No, I don't think so...I was more thinking of using that as a semi-external battery (keep the internal one, have this one attached with a switch to activate it acting as a charger. You probably need 5v for that, though...).

My idea was muddled/flawed (it was late last night), I guess.

I have a switchable voltage power supply from Radio Shack. My sl-c1000 will charge fine when it's switched as low as 4.5 volts (and I have checked the output with a multi-meter to ensure the 4.5 volt figure is accurate).
Neill Currie
Hillsborough
Nh, USA.
---------
SL-C3100, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
SL-C1000, Cacko "heavy" ROM.
A SL-5500 with TKrom.
Ambicom and Symbol CF wifi, 8gb Seagate Microdrive, <4gb Transcend SD. Assorted other digital detritus.
---------
Owner of a Nokia n810 Internet Tablet.
Also a Nokia n800, and a 4th generation iPod Touch.
---------

the_oak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 05:06:21 pm »
I already have an external battery extender. It is my hope to make an internal battery. So my question is whether or not the C1000 battery is enough like the 6000's battery to be used with a home-made adapter. I'm hoping that since they are the same voltage, and same number of contacts, that they are compatible (other than being shaped different).

I started this about 2 years ago, originally thinking to put a battery holder with 3 NiMH 1.2 volt AA batteries in the battery holder and putting the make-shift battery adapter in the back of the Z instead of the battery that came with it. The problem with this was that I would have to remove the batteries to recharge them.

So my latest brilliant idea (?) was to use the C1000 battery in my battery box. Maybe it is easier to see what I intend with pictures:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:33:49 am by the_oak »
White Intel MacBook

the_oak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 05:14:01 pm »
One more picture:

EDIT: I intend to paint it flat black, and probably make a case to use with it. I have also thought about cutting open an iRiver USB adapter, and seeing if I can make it flat on the end that plugs into the Z, and fastening the other end into either the battery box or the case (so that I will have a typical USB host port, not needing to carry around an adapter).
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 05:22:59 pm by the_oak »
White Intel MacBook

the_oak

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 05:57:40 pm »
To give an idea of the caae, here is one I already made. It allows me to use it in landscape mode with an IR keyboard. It is simply leather glued to a holder made out of HVAC galvanized sheet metal. As you can see from the comparison shot, it is about 5/8 inch less thick than the C1000 in it's PDair case. If I remade it 1/4 inch thicker to accommodate my battery hack, it would still be 3/8 inch less thick than PDair case.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 06:03:07 pm by the_oak »
White Intel MacBook

utx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 08:03:37 pm »
I think (i. e. with no guarantee), that you can use NiMh batteries with say 2.7-3.6V using internal contacts and smart wiring of the middle contact.

But you cannot charge them. Charging technology and response of Ni-Mh and Li-Ion differ.

While for charging Li-Ion you need a constant voltage keeping the maximal current and temperature at defined value (if any of them exceeds, limit the current), for NiMh you need constant current keeping temperature (and internal resistence) in limit (checking for over-charging, better chargers could use pulses and response measure).

However the charging control chip inside Zaurus (Semtech SC801) is Ni-Mh capable (see the datasheet on my pages). In theory, the circuitry can be modified to charge Ni-Mh, but it would need a lot of hardware skills and circuitry study.

The holder on the photo has 4 battery slots, sou you can get 4.8-5V. It is sufficient for the AC jack, and you will not have to shutdown, reboot, set the clock to recharge them (if you keep internal battery as a backup source).

the_oak

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 08:39:22 am »
I gave up on my original idea (the AA battery holder with only 3 of the battery slots used), in favor of using the C1000 battery in my battery box. Do you think the built-in charging circuit can handle that?
White Intel MacBook

utx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 11:47:48 am »
Quote from: the_oak
I gave up on my original idea (the AA battery holder with only 3 of the battery slots used), in favor of using the C1000 battery in my battery box. Do you think the built-in charging circuit can handle that?

I think that yes. Trisoft sells battery chargers for older models and say, that they are compatible with new batteries after small mechanical modification. Maybe other Li-Ion/Li-Pol batteries may work as well.