Author Topic: My C3000 Won't Start  (Read 6034 times)

mowgly

• View Profile
My C3000 Won't Start
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:59:17 am »
Hello,

Be sure that i read a lot of topics here about C3000 troubleshootings and key combinations.

I own a C3000 for 3 years now and i might have used it just a week, having a bunch of different problems.

The first thing i did when i owned it was to plug a custom AC adapter without taking care of the polarity, then i burned the charging circuit (i guess). Symptoms are : Z is working but only when it's plugged, the battery can handle 30 minutes max i would say.

So every 10 months when i decide to heal my Z i can't remember what was the key combination which makes my Z start, fighting for hours i finally understand that my battery has to be charged for a few hours for the Z being able to understand something (am i wrong ?).

Now my battery is kind of charging for a few hours and i can't make my Z work, the only thing which makes it react is [D] + [C] + Reset then both leds are blinking.

I tried all the key combinations of the wiki but still others parameters can interfere in the debugging process, so what i expect from you is just to guide me : tell me what keys to press, what things to check and then we can maybe find out what the problem is (if you don't already know).

Ps : How much a charger for these batteries cost and has anyone replaced fuse(s) in a C3000 ?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 07:02:45 am by mowgly »

utx

• View Profile
    • http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/
My C3000 Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 02:45:15 pm »
Quote from: mowgly
Hello,

Be sure that i read a lot of topics here about C3000 troubleshootings and key combinations.

I own a C3000 for 3 years now and i might have used it just a week, having a bunch of different problems.

The first thing i did when i owned it was to plug a custom AC adapter without taking care of the polarity, then i burned the charging circuit (i guess). Symptoms are : Z is working but only when it's plugged, the battery can handle 30 minutes max i would say.

It's hard to say what happened. Maybe charging circuit is broken, maybe other part makes nearly short circuit.

So every 10 months when i decide to heal my Z i can't remember what was the key combination which makes my Z start, fighting for hours i finally understand that my battery has to be charged for a few hours for the Z being able to understand something (am i wrong ?).

Yes, when battery is completely empty, you cannot turn on your Zaurus, even with AC adapter.

Now my battery is kind of charging for a few hours and i can't make my Z work, the only thing which makes it react is [D] + [C] + Reset then both leds are blinking.

I tried all the key combinations of the wiki but still others parameters can interfere in the debugging process, so what i expect from you is just to guide me : tell me what keys to press, what things to check and then we can maybe find out what the problem is (if you don't already know).

D+M = diag mode, Fn+D+M = back-up diag mode (when NAND flash contents was corrupted)

Ps : How much a charger for these batteries cost and has anyone replaced fuse(s) in a C3000 ?

About $100. CE-BC21 cannot be used for SL-C3000 batteries directly. It needs a small modification - removal of a piece of plastic. But it's use is a bit impractical - you have to reboot and set date and time every time you want to charge.

There are two SMD fuses 3.15A on the board. Your fuses are probably OK:

AC adapter fuse is broken => orange LED would never work

battery fuse is broken => it would not run from the battery at all

pelrun

• View Profile
    • http://
My C3000 Won't Start
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:38:52 am »
Yes, the C3000 and later don't have the easily blown fuse of the c860's.

Your battery is probably dead, if it's been discharged for that long. A new battery might make all the difference.
SL-C3100 with usb power mod running debian eabi
pdaXii13 still on the NAND for dualbooting
16GB SDHC! (a new one, after I sat on the old one and it went kaput)
D-Link 660 wifi, Socket Bluetooth rev H
External 9800mAh LiIon battery and slimline dvd drive
Homebrew microphone and remote

mowgly

• View Profile
My C3000 Won't Start
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 05:44:39 pm »
Thank you for your replies.

The Fn + D + M combination works, the D + M doesn't and the one I need OK + ON doesn't as well.

My SD is ready but i can't reach the Maintenance Menu (OK + ON). The thing is that if my battery has been charged, how ? I mean when i go to the Diagnostics Menu it shows Charge : OFF and my Charging Led is off, of course.

Any idea about that ?

Note that i have 2 batteries, and the same symptoms happen for both of them.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:46:37 pm by mowgly »

utx

• View Profile
    • http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus/
My C3000 Won't Start
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 05:15:04 am »
The Fn + D + M combination works, the D + M doesn't and the one I need OK + ON doesn't as well.

Well, if your Z wouldn't work at all, it may be symptom of corrupted contents of NAND. You can verify it by a checksum verification utility in the diag menu. If it is true, complete restore of NAND from a backup should be done. You need a complete NAND backup, not only the system backup. I think the English one is available from Trisoft, Japanese maybe from the CD.

Another NAND setup that has influence to charging is charging threshold.

But if you Zaurus works except charging, the problem may be elsewhere.

The thing is that if my battery has been charged, how ? I mean when i go to the Diagnostics Menu it shows Charge : OFF and my Charging Led is off, of course.

You can charge it "manually". Diag menu contains item, which allows to switch: Charge Off/Slow/Fast. You can even verify your charging circuit. Open your battery cover, connect voltmeter to the left and right pin without disconnecting the battery. You should see voltage change when switching charging On/Off.

mowgly

• View Profile
My C3000 Won't Start
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 02:08:36 pm »
I forgot to answer and yes that was a NAND issue, that's now working my debian is installed I now have some CF Wifi problem but that's an hardware problem.

Anyway thank you.

Ps : I didn't know for the manual charging, thanks.