Author Topic: IR Keypad (not full keyboard) Suggestions?  (Read 1594 times)

ran

• View Profile
IR Keypad (not full keyboard) Suggestions?
« on: March 04, 2004, 12:16:28 am »
I\'ve got zRoadmap running in my truck (more or less:  I still haven\'t figured out how to set it up with waypoints so it can play \"navigator\" and warn me of upcoming turns and such),  but it\'s awkward,  and downright dangerous,  to try to control it using \"normal\" screen taps and such.

What I\'d like to do is connect a simple keypad to it,  and hack the zRoadmap code so I can do common operations like \"zoom in\",  \"zoom out\",  and \"How far to the next instruction?\" with a a single push of a button I don\'t have to take my eyes off the road to find.  I\'m thinking about 8-10 buttons max:  more than that,  and the problem of finding the right one crops up again.  The minimum is probably about 5 buttons.

The serial port is already tied up with the GPS,  so using it is out.  I\'m thinking maybe IrDA,  or a consumer remote with a few big buttons.  Although this poses the challenge of mounting it so it can communicate reliably with the Z.

I could use something like a PocketTop keyboard for development,  but that\'d be too awkward to mount in the truck,  and having so many buttons makes it only slightly better than using the screen.

If necessary,  I\'d be willing to desolder the IR LED from a consumer remote,  and put it on a wire so I could mount the remote in a convenient location without having to worry about having it pointed right at the Z.

I\'ve thought about Bluetooth,  but,  while it would be be fun,  I\'d rather do something that could be used by lots of other people.  The extra $150 or so needed to for a Bluetooth link would probably turn most potential users off.

Has anybody successfully tried something that could be adapted to this purpose?

Thanks,

Ran

V-Man

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 10:39:46 pm »
I have seen some seperate number pads for laptops.  I don\'t remember if they were IR or ps/2 connections.  If they are (or are \"hackable\" to) IR, that would problably be perfect for your needs.  Keep up posted, this sounds like it could be very useful for a lot of people.  I have too many other projects going right now (re-writing the training manual for the PD, re-building my ham radio station, constructing new satelite antennas, care and feeding of wife, etc, etc,) to actively participate in this though.

V-Man
SL5500 w/Sharp ROM 3.10
Netgear MA701 WiFi
Sharp  CE-AG06 Camera Card
Various memory cards
Various homemade power/battery packs
HP 2215 iPAQ

Corona_B

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 12:29:42 am »
Have you considered a cf usb card and maybe some type if usb input device?
You could use the joystick driver and joy2key to map joystick buttons to keyboard strokes

I used that combo so i could use a gamepad with snes9x

Just a thought,
SL-5600 Clocked up to 471mhz, Zynnergy Rom. Linksys WCF12 Wifi, Sandisk 256 mb CF, Toshiba 256 mb SD, Ratoc CFU1U USB Host CF card,  2X Radioshack 23-047 Battery ExtendersChargers.