Author Topic: Z Won't Write To Sd  (Read 4956 times)

uriahgreer

• View Profile
Z Won't Write To Sd
« on: June 11, 2010, 08:18:44 pm »
With the new driver (fantastic, btw) I've been using an 8 gig sandisk class2 sdhc card in my z3200 for the past couple months without a hitch.

Until now.

I can't fathom why, but I am completely unable to write to or delete files from the sd card when it's in my zaurus. In my netbook, piece of cake. I tried rebooting. I tried flicking the switch back and forth. I unchecked that box that said "protection" in the files menu. I even went on windows and un-archived, and un-read-only'ed every file and folder just for kicks. No soap. I can read files, no problem. But I can't save to or edit anything on it.

And if it's a hardware issue, I can't wrap my head around it--I put in a 2gig non-sdhc and wrote and deleted sans trouble.

I'm on Cacko 1.23. Any thoughts? I'd greatly appreciate it.

xamindar

• View Profile
    • http://www.radnimax.com
Z Won't Write To Sd
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 05:16:12 am »
You didn't format that card as ntfs did you?
SL-C3100 happily Dualbooting Japanese Rom 1.02 and Debian Eabi
Replaced internal CF with 8gb seagate cf hard drive
Ambicom CF GPS
CyberPower battery powered USB hub
D-link DCF-650W (MAN THIS THING IS HUGE!!)

uriahgreer

• View Profile
Z Won't Write To Sd
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 11:16:59 pm »
Quote from: xamindar
You didn't format that card as ntfs did you?
Negative. Properties says, "FAT32". Never even tried formatting it. I can't fathom it... Works fine in my other SD slots... Just not on my terrier. No idea what could've prompted it...

xamindar

• View Profile
    • http://www.radnimax.com
Z Won't Write To Sd
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 11:48:44 pm »
Could also be file system corruption on that particular SD card. Linux will mount damaged filesystems as read only. Did you try running a filesystem scan in windows on that card to see if it was able to fix anything? That doesn't explain why it works fine in your netbook though.
SL-C3100 happily Dualbooting Japanese Rom 1.02 and Debian Eabi
Replaced internal CF with 8gb seagate cf hard drive
Ambicom CF GPS
CyberPower battery powered USB hub
D-link DCF-650W (MAN THIS THING IS HUGE!!)

uriahgreer

• View Profile
Z Won't Write To Sd
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 12:12:10 am »
Well, I actually did try that, and that came up nada as well. So I did what I probably should've done in the first place: I backed up all the files, formatted the card (fat32), and then put the files back.

Problem gone.

Not technically solved, of course, as it seems I'll never know what'd happened, but at least it does write correctly now. Thanks so much for the timely responses tho! I am glad to see these forums still kicking, and I'm sure I'll need help with some other things in the near future (my list is reaching critical mass). Good health, and happy coding! (Or is that bashing? ...hacking? Or is that a misnomer? ...You get me.)

koan

• View Profile
    • http://www.lyndonhill.com
Z Won't Write To Sd
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 03:57:43 pm »
Quote from: uriahgreer
Not technically solved, of course, as it seems I'll never know what'd happened, but at least it does write correctly now.

Perhaps Flash memory wear and tear ? By reformatting the bad blocks got mapped out... ?
Zocalo Feed Reader : Thai on Zaurus : Dictionaries for zbedic : Sharp ROM package feed
HELUX Handheld Embedded Linux Blog
SL-C3200 Multiboot : SL-C750  Sharp ROM