Author Topic: Intermittent lost of USB network connection between Z and XP  (Read 1476 times)

Spoon

• View Profile
Intermittent lost of USB network connection between Z and XP
« on: March 29, 2004, 11:56:24 am »
Hola !

My USB connection (TCP/IP) between my Z and WinXP works fine. I can ping, do VNC, ssh, everything, to and fro.

However, I notice many times that the USB network connection gets cut off between the Z and PC after having been connected for a while. How long is \"a while\"? Well, it\'s random. Sometimes the connection holds for a long time (e.g. 45mins or more), whereas on other times, it can get disconnected within a few minutes. It\'s un-predictable.

There are 2 methods to re-enable the USB network connection:
1. remove the Z from the cradle and replace it in the cradle again
2. with Z still in cradle, power-off the Z and power-on again

Although it\'s simple to perform these 2 methods, it\'s irritating to have an unstable network connection. Many times I lost my ssh session while I was halfway working on the Z via the PC.

Is there any way to make this USB network connection more stable? Is there some kind of timeout parameters that have to be tweaked?

I tend to off the LCD frontlight, or even off the LCD completely via the lcdswitchapplet v1.0, so that I can work on the Z without straining the display. Could that constitute to this problem?

I\'m using the SL-5500 with SharpROM 3.13. Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Spoon

dawest

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 01:20:28 pm »
You may want to look at your power settings on the Winders Axe Pee box... something like \"this connection can be powered down when not needed\" or the likes is the default setting for the USB hub so if you are not transfering data the box powers off the USB and when you restart the Z it sends a check packet and poof the interface is powered back up!  I think you can change that to \"do not power down this device\" and the problem will go away

Be Well
DW

padishah_emperor

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 01:32:37 pm »
I experienced that and was never able to sort it out, I was using Linux but doing the same thing I ended up just thinking USB was crap, odd thing is, since moving upto a C860, that problem has not come back once.

I also blanked my screen, I would start with not doing that and see if it makes a difference.
Left Linux and Linux PDAs... sorry, got boring.  Switched to Mac.

Spoon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 08:34:13 pm »
dawest, I tried your suggestion, navigate to \"Network Connections\", right click on the Zaurus connection, go to Properties -] Configure -] Power Management, and found that the option \"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power\" is already unchecked, i.e. all along it is disabled.

any other ideas?

padishah_emperor, if your C860 never gave you this problem, then it sounds like it\'s a problem to the SL-5500 only. Hmm, guess we\'ll have to think along this line...