Author Topic: Smbmount problem  (Read 2932 times)

Anonymous

Smbmount problem
« on: October 28, 2003, 10:13:06 am »
I\'m having a bugger of a time getting smbmount to work.  When I using the command, I get a message about libncurses.so.5.  I know that it is a needed library.  I did install it (or thought I did) through add/remove packages from the settings.  I copied the package to my SD. Then installed from their.

If anyone can shed a little light on my dilema,  I would greatly appreciate it.

Cory Schafer
cscha@gbpinc.com

Taim

• View Profile
    • http://www.lgvfc.org
Smbmount problem
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 11:57:59 am »
If I recall correctly, it\'s a no-no to create a link to lib files.  Installing them to either SD or CF would create a link.  If you insist on leaving libncurses.so.5 where it is installed at, edit /etc/ld.so.conf.  Add the path to where libncurses.so.5 is installed at (IE /mnt/card/something/or/other/ for /mnt/card/something/or/other/libncurses.so.5).  Then run ldconfig.

The easiest method would be to uninstall and reinstall ncurses to internal memory as links would not be used.

One other thing to consider.  You may need to have the EXACT version of ncurses as smbmount was built with.  Checking what version requires ldd /sbin/smbmount.
Taim

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Zaurus SL5500
Sharp 3.10 ROM
128, 256 MB Sandisk SD
16, 32 MB Sandisk CF
Ambicom Wireless CF

lardman

• View Profile
    • http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/Zaurus/
Smbmount problem
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 12:22:49 pm »
Hmm, I have lots of libs installed on my MMC card. I also don\'t think that ld.so.conf is used, but I may be wrong.

Anyway, I\'d create a symlink from the lib (wherever it may be) to /usr/lib (which is where ncurses should be). The other thing to check is that the correct files actually exist, for example if you installed to a FAT device they symlinks will have failed (so libncurses.so.5 will not have been created, as it\'s only a symlink to libncurses.so.5.2), on the other hand, if the postinst script failed for some reason you\'ll get the same effect.

One final thing, not knowing the exact error message, is that some programs actually dynamically load libncurses.so (which on a Sharp ROM points to .4.x), in this case you\'d need to alter the symlinks again.

Make sure the file is in /usr/lib (whether the real thing or just a symlink), then create the second symlink (ln -s libncurses.so.5.2 libncurses.so.5) and you should be fine.

Hope that makes some sense.

Si
C750 OZ3.5.4 (GPE, 2.6.x kernel)
SL5500 OZ3.5.4 (Opie)
Nokia 770
Serial GPS, WCF-12, Socket Ethernet & BT, Ratoc USB
WinXP, Mandriva

Anonymous

Smbmount problem
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2003, 12:51:52 pm »
If I recall correctly, it\'s a no-no to create a link to lib files.  Installing them to either SD or CF would create a link.  If you insist on leaving libncurses.so.5 where it is installed at, edit /etc/ld.so.conf.  Add the path to where libncurses.so.5 is installed at (IE /mnt/card/something/or/other/ for /mnt/card/something/or/other/libncurses.so.5).  Then run ldconfig.

The easiest method would be to uninstall and reinstall ncurses to internal memory as links would not be used.

One other thing to consider.  You may need to have the EXACT version of ncurses as smbmount was built with.  Checking what version requires ldd /sbin/smbmount.
I tried the uninstall/reinstall.  I copied to internal flash and then did a install through settings.  I still get the same thing.  I even started to look for libncurses.so.5 file.  It doesn\'t seem to exists anywhere.  I\'m not sure what to do next.  A alternative way to installing a ipk file.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the reply!

Cory Schafer
cscha@gbpinc.com

Anonymous

Smbmount problem
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2003, 01:05:54 pm »

I tried the uninstall/reinstall.  I copied to internal flash and then did a install through settings.  I still get the same thing.  I even started to look for libncurses.so.5 file.  It doesn\'t seem to exists anywhere.  I\'m not sure what to do next.  A alternative way to installing a ipk file.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the reply!

Cory Schafer
cscha@gbpinc.com
I do have a libncurses.so.4.2  in /lib  and I have a libncurses.so in /usr/lib.  Why isnt libncurses.so.5 not installing and how do I get it installed.  The web page that had smbmount had a link to this exact libncurses version.

Any help is appreciated.

Cory

Taim

• View Profile
    • http://www.lgvfc.org
Smbmount problem
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2003, 02:47:48 pm »
you could try and cheat.  Create a link from libncurses.so.4.2 to libncurses.so.5.  Also try lardman\'s approach as well.  Lardman knows best as I don\'t have my Z in front of me.  

I really don\'t like the \"cheat\" method myself as diff versions of libs mean diff methods of calling libs.  You might be best to find a copy of ncurses version 5 and better.  A quick google search shows ZSI has several ncurses packages to try.
Taim

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Zaurus SL5500
Sharp 3.10 ROM
128, 256 MB Sandisk SD
16, 32 MB Sandisk CF
Ambicom Wireless CF

Anonymous

Smbmount problem
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2003, 03:55:19 pm »
you could try and cheat.  Create a link from libncurses.so.4.2 to libncurses.so.5.  Also try lardman\'s approach as well.  Lardman knows best as I don\'t have my Z in front of me.  

I really don\'t like the \"cheat\" method myself as diff versions of libs mean diff methods of calling libs.  You might be best to find a copy of ncurses version 5 and better.  A quick google search shows ZSI has several ncurses packages to try.
I found the libncurses.5.0 it was in /home/QtPalmtop/lib.  With that known,  what are the symlinks suppose to be?  I just want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks for the reply.

Cory

lardman

• View Profile
    • http://people.bath.ac.uk/enpsgp/Zaurus/
Smbmount problem
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 05:23:25 pm »
I doubt that /opt/QtPalmtop/lib is in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env var (type export in the terminal), it may also not be desireable to add it so I\'d do the following:

ln -s /opt/QtPalmtop/lib/libncurses.so.5.0 /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5.0
ln -s /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5.0 /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5

Si
C750 OZ3.5.4 (GPE, 2.6.x kernel)
SL5500 OZ3.5.4 (Opie)
Nokia 770
Serial GPS, WCF-12, Socket Ethernet & BT, Ratoc USB
WinXP, Mandriva

cschafer

• View Profile
    • http://
Smbmount problem
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 05:34:53 pm »
I doubt that /opt/QtPalmtop/lib is in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env var (type export in the terminal), it may also not be desireable to add it so I\'d do the following:

ln -s /opt/QtPalmtop/lib/libncurses.so.5.0 /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5.0
ln -s /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5.0 /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5

Si
You are a genius.  Thank you very much.  I even got smbmount to work like a charm.

Thank you  again!

Cory
Sl-C3200
Cacko 1.23
Globalstat 307 GPS
Ambicom WIFI card