Author Topic: Psion Returns!  (Read 20600 times)

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 09:31:23 am »
And since we're comparing to other handhelds....let's include the Pyra in the comparison....

Technical Specs:

Texas Instruments OMAP 5 SoC
        2x ARM Cortex-A15 @ 1.5Ghz with NEON SIMD
        2x ARM Cortex-M4
        PowerVR™ SGX544-MP2
        Vivante GC320 2D Accelerator

2GB or 4GB RAM, 32GB internal eMMC

720p 5" LCD with resistive touchscreen

High-Quality speakers, analog volume wheel

Headset-Port, Built-in-Mic, HDMI Video Out

Various sensors (accelerometer, gyro-sensor, etc.)
    Vibration motor

Ultra-portable: approx. 139 x 87 x 32 mm

Huge battery for a long battery life (6000mAh)

Gaming controls (DPad, 4 shoulder buttons, 6 face buttons)

Two accurate analog controls with push-button

QWERTY keyboard with backlight

Integrated Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n (2,4 and 5GHz) and Bluetooth 4.1

Dual SDXC card slots, one internal MicroSDXC card slot (can be used for the OS instead of the eMMC)

2x Full-size USB 2.0 Host (one can be used as eSATA-with a small adaptor), 1x Micro USB 3.0, 1x Micro USB (Debug and Charging)
    Fully configurable RGB-LEDs for notifications

Optional 3G/4G/UMTS and GPS module

The Pyra is built to be modular.

It consists of not one, but three circuit boards.

* The CPU-Board (CPU, RAM and storage)
* The Mainboard (all ports, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth)
* The Display-Board (for the screen)

You get the full schematics. No secrets.

And that screwdriver you own, use it to open hack and fix your device.

Engineering, design and craftsmanship manufacture done in Germany.

Buy a new board for updates, not a whole new device.

Long time support. The Pandora, which appeared in 2008, still gets updates 8 years later, and will continue to do so.

Replacement parts are still available for the Pandora. The same will be true for the Pyra.

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyratech/
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

HoloVector

• View Profile
    • http://
Psion Returns!
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 11:43:36 pm »
Quote from: Varti
Welcome back HoloVector, glad to see Zaurusers from the old days back here

Quote from: HoloVector

By the way, I'm back! Took the 3200, 1000 and 860 out of storage. The 860 is rocking a Star Wars theme on Cacko and I have Picsel Browser running on. The 3200 is e17 on pdaxii13 5.49 with with socket Bluetooth card to tether of my iPhone and the 1000 is loaded is cacko and kernel tweaks.
You have a nice setup there. Is Picsel still able to render all the current web pages, or it only works on selected sites?
I have only an SL-C1000, I'm testing the latest kexecboot on it, currently it is refusing to boot so I'm trying to find out why. After that I'll give Arch Linux a go, have you tried it yet?

Varti
Thanks Varti.  Sorry got sidetracked with other issues.  My wireless has been upgraded to WPA2 since I put them in storage and I can't find my wired Ethernet card.  I'll try the Bluetooth using my phone to see if that works .

The last time I played with kexecboot was almost 10 years ago.  I remember it was a bit of a bear to get working and needed Antikx and Grog's help to get it up running with pdaXROM r191.  

I don't think I will be trying ArchLinux; I spent years tweeking these 3 Zaurii and with the loss of so many resources including my journal I don't think I could back them back to the state that they are currently in.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:46:26 pm by HoloVector »
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Zaurus SL-C1000 - Hachiko (Configuring Cacko 1.23 with evilJazz's new kernel)
Zaurus SL-C860 - Fett (Customized Cacko 1.23 with handmade Boba Fett Theme)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 12:18:56 am »
Thanks Varti.  Sorry got sidetracked with other issues.  My wireless has been upgraded to WPA2 since I put them in storage and I can't find my wired Ethernet card.  I'll try the Bluetooth using my phone to see if that works .
You might want to try to tether via wifi rather than bluetooth, I have read that the latter might be slow, although it probably depends on what bluetooth specification is implemented by the card: https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?s=&...st&p=142996

The last time I played with kexecboot was almost 10 years ago.  I remember it was a bit of a bear to get working and needed Antikx and Grog's help to get it up running with pdaXROM r191.
I have finally managed to boot it. Luckily I'm in touch with the developer (ant) so I can ask him for help.

I don't think I will be trying ArchLinux; I spent years tweeking these 3 Zaurii and with the loss of so many resources including my journal I don't think I could back them back to the state that they are currently in.
Sorry to hear about your journal, what has happened to it? Regarding other resources, I'm working on putting back the Wiki online, I have checked the database and all the pages are still there. I'm trying to get access to the Elsix account too, and I'm planning to host here a mirror of all the still available feeds. In general, it would like to find and host here any other resource that has been put offline and that might be still useful.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 12:43:22 am »
Moved this topic to "New products and alternatives", I was every time forgetting to do this  

Varti
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 12:43:40 am by Varti »
and many other Zauruses!

HoloVector

• View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 04:45:40 pm »
Quote from: Varti
Sorry to hear about your journal, what has happened to it? Regarding other resources, I'm working on putting back the Wiki online, I have checked the database and all the pages are still there. I'm trying to get access to the Elsix account too, and I'm planning to host here a mirror of all the still available feeds. In general, it would like to find and host here any other resource that has been put offline and that might be still useful.

Varti
I think I lost my journal in a move along with my other my other wifi card and my Ethernet card.
I think I'm coming down with what kahm's got!  I now have 3 Zaurii in house!  ;)
Current: Zaurus SL-C3200 -  Bobby (Configuring pdaXii13 Akita with Full 5.4.9 upgrade running IceWM)
Symbol WiFi CF card|Buffalo WiFi CF Card|Buffalo Ethernet CF Card|Red Piel Frama Case|PDAir Case|Black Pelican 1020 Case|Pentopia Stylii|SaruTek Protectors|Transcend SDs (4GB 150X, 1GB 80X, 256MB 45X, 128MB 45X)|2GB PNY SD|2GB SanDisk SD|Transcend CFs (1GB 80X, 512MB 80X)|Sandisk CFs (4GB, 512MB, 256MB)|256MB Netac USB-CF|RH-1 Remote
Check out the ScummVM@tyrannozaurus page if you are an "adventurer" type of person.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 04:16:04 pm »
did anyone sign up for the Gemini?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-p...-phone#/updates

"The following timeline has been proposed and is in line with our original pledge to deliver the first units in November 2017.
[img]https://c1.iggcdn.com/indiegogo-media-prod-cld/image/upload/c_limit,w_620/v1494004075/qk7dc79ipwbpjpjmyu9p.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]
As you can see from the timeline, we should have first samples of the Gemini hardware in August 2017. "

At $400 it's not a crazy price compared with something like a Moto Z and the Moto Mod keyboard.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 07:09:38 pm »
I've debated about whether to back the Gemini......

Like the form factor and size, but not interested in Android......but like that it will run linux. Although they have not given any specifics about that part yet.

Also, up until their most recent update, their product development plan has been quite sketchy.

So, interested in some ways, and might end up getting one, but for now I have taken more of a wait and see approach about it, especially, want to understand the linux support more....

This is in comparison to the more concrete development of the GPD Pocket, which I felt comfortable backing about a month ago. It may also make some difference that having the GPD WIN, I can literally see and feel what I GPD product is like, and all in all it's very good. And Pocket should even be much better, at least for my needs.

Just my 2¢.......

Mark
MacBookPro

HoloVector

• View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 09:30:59 pm »
I didn't back it either.  I'm concerned with the hinge.  All of my prior PSION machines had hinge related issues.  The Psion hinges were always intriguing designs and were the point of failure on all my PSIONs. What I really want is slimmer and up to date Zaurus that is easy to hack and highly expandable.  Sharp hinges are better hinges design and have yet to fail on me.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:32:37 pm by HoloVector »

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 09:50:43 pm »
Understand your concerns......

And wish it would be true that Sharp would release an up to date Zaurus........

Unfortunately, don't think it will happen.....but then weirder things have happened.....

MacBookPro

HoloVector

• View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2017, 10:57:48 pm »
I can't see Sharp keeping the Zaurus name buried for much longer it was just too popular in Japan.  Just like Acura couldn't keep the NSX buried or Mazda can't keep a Wankel rotary engine RX out of it's line up.  These are all iconic marquee lines that guarantee sales by branding recognition alone.  Hopefully, when they bring it back they will launch it worldwide.

I'm such an optimist.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 11:59:53 pm »
I can't see Sharp keeping the Zaurus name buried for much longer it was just too popular in Japan.  Just like Acura couldn't keep the NSX buried or Mazda can't keep a Wankel rotary engine RX out of it's line up.  These are all iconic marquee lines that guarantee sales by branding recognition alone.  Hopefully, when they bring it back they will launch it worldwide.

Don't know that the Zaurus was that popular.....have a feeling it was a niche market product. If it was so popular, Sharp would have kept releasing more Zauruses or an updated Netwalker.....

Wish it was different story.........

Have a feeling the sale price is high enough on the NSX to make up for a low volume product.

I'm such an optimist.

Yes indeed........

MacBookPro

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 04:35:39 am »
I'm thinking of getting a Gemini myself, but I'll not back it. I'll rather follow speculatrix' advice: I'll wait until a new, more mature revision of the unit eventually comes out with the (inevitable) issues of the first revision being sorted out, and hoping that in the meanwhile the price of the unit will be lowered and reach the prices of the crowdfunding campaign. This is afterall their first product, and they probably don't have any prior experience with any of the suppliers and manufacturing partners they'll use.

Some of the reasons for my choice are the keyboard (seems to be much better tha GDP Win's one) and the unit's size (wider than the Win, but still smaller than the Pocket). Another reason is that I'd like to try to use it as a smartphone. The Gemini doesn't have a phone speaker, so the only way to make calls will be via a wired/bluetooth headset. It will not be confortable to sync the headset via BT, or to plug it everytime I'll receive a call. It seems though as it will be possible to use the speaker, with a suitable low audio volume, as an ear speaker:
There will be four ways one can talk on Gemini. 1) Unit open with speaker phone; 2) Unit closed; 3) Wired headset and 4) Bluetooth headset. There will not be an external/secondary LCD screen.
From the other side, I realized that I rarely receive/make calls (1/2 times per week), I'd finally have a proper keyboard to type all the messages via SMS or Whatsapp, I'd have to carry and recharge only one unit, and it would be also an upgrade to my current phone (3G only with Android 2.3). What worries me is that I'll probably have to switch between the two OSes quite often, unless it will be possible to run Android in a VM under Linux.

What I really hope is that a model with a rear camera will be available. I prefer not having to make photos with the front one, without seeing what I'm shooting. According to this post, they are evaluating to add a rear camera as an add-on cover:

There has also been a lot of discussion on the pros and cons of having a rear-facing camera. There seems to be a lot of demand for this feature, but also some backers do not want to ruin the beautiful design of Gemini. The main issue with having the rear-camera is that the camera module is too thick for the top half of the Gemini as the camera module usually sticks out of the phone shape. So we are now considering having two different designs for the top cover: one as shown in the crowdfunding images and video and a new add-on cover that will have a camera module situated in the middle of the top cover - so that we can support both wishes. We have asked our design team to look into this. More details to follow on this.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-p...-phone#/updates

I can't see Sharp keeping the Zaurus name buried for much longer it was just too popular in Japan.
+1. But please Sharp, either announce a new Zaurus in the next few months, or wait until my Gemini will become old and obsolete

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2017, 05:32:00 am »
Planet Computers has recently announced that the Gemini has received a CES 2018 innovation award:

https://pressreleases.responsesource.com/ne...novation-award/

http://www.ces.tech/Events-Programs/Innova...m-Honorees.aspx

"Gemini received the award – in the Wireless Handsets and Accessories category - at an event for Honorees today (26th October) in Amsterdam. The CES Innovation Awards are judged by a pre-eminent panel of independent industrial designers, independent engineers and members of the trade media to honour outstanding design and engineering in cutting edge consumer electronics products across 28 product categories."

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 08:07:50 am »
New update released:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-p...one#/updates/36

"(...) the mass production cycle is now scheduled for 1st January - 7th January 2018. We therefore expect that those backers expecting their Gemini devices in November, will now receive their units in mid-January and that those backers expecting their units in December will now receive their units also in mid-January (a few days after the November backers)."

They'll anyway probably manage to release it at the forthcoming CES show.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Psion Returns!
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 04:20:55 am »
A preview of the Gemini on the ZDNet portal:

http://www.zdnet.com/product/gemini-pda/

Varti