Author Topic: Gnome Mobile & Embedded - Status  (Read 2540 times)

Kisuke-CZE

• View Profile
Gnome Mobile & Embedded - Status
« on: January 24, 2018, 06:57:06 am »
Hi gyus,

I recently noticed, that another planned Linux phone Librem 5 was announced. And as part of their presentation they released a video, which you can find on their web:
https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

I saw there something that reminded me GNOME Shell desktop I have on all my computers. I would love to see something like that on my phone. I like GNOME Shell a lot, because for me it is most complete desktop envoronment (supports multiple monitors with different DPI, docking/undocking to multiple monitors works too).
Librem 5 was supported by Gnome Foundation aparrently. So maybe there is some development about this project. But I was unable to find any recent information.

Does anyone know about some development going on in that Gnome Mobile desktop? Any chances something like that could be ported to Gemini (or used in any Linux distro like ordinary GNOME)?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 07:15:26 am by Kisuke-CZE »

depscribe

• View Profile
Gnome Mobile & Embedded - Status
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 11:52:41 am »
Quote from: Kisuke-CZE
I recently noticed, that another planned Linux phone Librem 5 was announced. And as part of their presentation they released a video, which you can find on their web:
https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/[/url

Not a fan of Gnome — I adhere to the TDE fork of KDE — but what is listed at the link you provided is fascinating, because it suggests a Linux-only boot and a privacy-based phone OS. I wonder if all this will be open source. Because but for the telephony aspects, I would seek to be utterly and entirely free of Android, which is in my estimation nothing more that a Google spyware operating system (as opposed to IOS, which is nothing more than a very slick Apple spyware operating system). Given a pure Linux that does phone calls and I would hasten to nuke whatever comes on the Gemini and replace it.

One of the reasons I hope the Gemini is very successful is that skilled persons would then be likely to do a comprehensive security audit. As it is, I fear (though without evidence one way or the other) that whatever bootloader lets us boot Linux will include a layer that ships our information to Google. But I may be overly concerned in this regard.

Meantime, the Debian ARM repository includes Gnome, does it not?
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket