Author Topic: Some useful hints to get started for all who have received their Gemini  (Read 19491 times)

Yev

• View Profile
Some useful hints to get started for all who have received their Gemini
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 06:32:59 am »
Thank you very much for this useful thread Varti  

Two factor authentication - this might be obvious to others but it wasn't to me - during the initial setup I couldn't get past the authentication page showing the picture of a USB key (which I sometimes use with Google for 2FA).

Then I realised that I had to scroll down to see the other authentication options like SMS, etc. But I don't recall seeing a scrollbar or anything indicating that there was anything further down the page. At first I thought there was no choice.

Also, if you generate backup codes https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1187538 from the Google accounts security page first before you try to sign in using the Gemini, then you can use one of those codes if you have issues with the sign in e.g. with texts not being received.

Finally I found that you have to reboot not just to disable the keyboard vibration, but also I tried to disable then reenable the screen rotation, but it wouldn't rotate again until I had rebooted twice.

desolate

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 07:09:49 am »
Great tip on the indiegogo platform from a user - has seriously improved the device for me as I can now have much more information displayed on the screen.

Kriss-Andre Jacobsen
15 hours ago
Protip: If you feel that the screen elements are too big, even with the screen size set to small, try the following:

Go to About Android in Settings. Tap 7 times on the build version number. This activates Developer mode. Go back to the main settings page and select Developer options. Set the Minimum with option to a high number. I find 530 dp to be best suited for me

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 12:23:05 pm »
Setting Landscape View as DEFAULT.

Settings for landscape view as default that NEVER auto-rotates (on my X27 Gemini) are:

App Bar settings>turn off "force portrait" [Both Auto Hide and Force Landscape are ON]

Settings>Display>When device is rotated=Stay in landscape view

Choose "Landscape" in top, pull down menu bar (default is auto-rotate).

By the way, I use the Nova Launcher (Prime) so if you do too, then do this>Nova Settings>Look & feel>Screen Rotation>Force Landscape.

Apps and other pages that used to appear in Portrait, now snap to landscape mode.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:23:59 pm by Ifanafi »

Pete G.

• View Profile
    • http://www.GoodeveCA.net
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 07:30:52 pm »
One neat thing I've just discovered about the Gemini is that there are ways to generate almost any special character you might need from Android.  See the thread Entering other characters

In particular the "Sym" virtual keyboard (invoked with Fn+",") gives you things like em-dashes and curly-quotes by long-pressing a related key on the screen.  In fact, a large number of the keys give you long-press choices.

Also, on the hard K/B, the Alt key enables most of the common accented character variants.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:43:47 am by Pete G. »

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 02:48:11 pm »
Quote from: Ifanafi
Important reminders:

RE: Gemini's USB interfaces -

The left hand side USB supports Gemini USB-C hub, power, PC connectivity and OTG connectivity.
The right hand side USB supports 1 slave (OTG) device (for example 1 memory card, 1 mouse) or the Gemini HDMI cable adapter.

Dr Janko Mrsic-Flogel
Campaigner

RE: HDMI - ONLY the right hand USB-C connector (when looking at LCD screen) is designed to work with the Planet HDMI cable.

Robin
Planet

RE: 3rd party HDMI adapters or USB-C hubs -

ONLY the Planet HDMI adapter works and ONLY on the right hand USB-C connector (when looking at the screen).

Robin
Planet

RE: Cell phone carriers LTE frequency bands supported by Gemini -

LTE bands are supported 1/2/3/4/5/7/12/17/20/41.
Gemini also supports WCDMA - 900/2100MHz, GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz and CDMA 850/1900 MHz BC0 BC1+ EVDO.
Yes, CDMA is also supported as well as GSM.
We have used the Gemini on T-Mobile when in the USA.

Dr Janko Mrsic-Flogel
Campaigner

-------------------------------

FYI Dr. J - The Gemini WiFi 4G LTE (GSM, CDMA) is summarily incompatible with the Verizon Network for these reasons:

1. Verizon built its nationwide (CDMA) network based on the 700 MHz spectrum using bands *2, *4, 13.

Incompatibility: Gemini does not have 700 MHz (its CDMA frequencies are 850/1900 MHz BC0 BC1+ EVDO).

2. Verizon's primary band is 13.

Incompatibility: Gemini does not have Verizon's primary, required band number 13.

*Bands 2 and 4 are used by Verizon to strengthen the signal in densely populated urban areas.

Ifanafi

Grench

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 01:05:41 pm »
Quote from: Varti
Useful shortcuts
• Press and hold a key to display international characters

And if you don't actually want it to do this - how can I turn this feature -off-?

Frankly, I want to be able to press and hold WASD for in-game navigation.  This international character display pop-up is getting in the way.

Grench

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 01:15:04 pm »
Quote from: Grench
Quote from: Varti
Useful shortcuts
• Press and hold a key to display international characters

And if you don't actually want it to do this - how can I turn this feature -off-?

Frankly, I want to be able to press and hold WASD for in-game navigation.  This international character display pop-up is getting in the way.

I got it sorted.

I had been foolishly looking through the Android settings menus.  This feature is configurable through the Planet Computers "Gemini Keyboard" management app, most likely sitting in your pop up menu bar form your home screen (though you might have to go searching through the apps bucket to find it).

Turning that off makes gaming better.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2019, 02:37:14 pm »
Quote from: Grench
Turning that off makes gaming better.
Not just games, either!  I use the ‘vim’ editor quite a bit; every letter key has a command associated, and several of them are for navigation/searching/&c where being able to autorepeat is vital.  I had to turn off the press-and-hold variations almost immediately.

Which is a shame, as there's no other easy way to enter non-standard characters…

The Psion S5 had several standard shortcuts, e.g. Fn+Z would add an umlaut to the next letter, Fn+X would add a grave accent, and so on; you could also hold down Ctrl and type a decimal character code.  macOS has some handy Alt+ shortcuts, too.

But on the Gemini, the only other methods I know of are pressing Fn+, to show the on-screen keyboard, switching to the relevant page, and holding down the relevant character (which supports only a limited subset of characters) or opening a text file with all characters and copy-and-pasting the one you want (which is extremely unwieldy).

It would be really good if there were easier ways to enter accented letters, long dashes, curly quotes, non-breaking spaces, fractions, chevrons, sub/superscripts, ellipses, arrows, &c!
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
Re: Some useful hints to get started for all who have received their Gemini
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2020, 08:05:44 am »
Check out "US International" as a keyboard layout, you will need to learn the position of the characters you need, then you just hold ALT for the given letter, like e.g. ü and you get it directly (no pre-push to first add ¨ and then u) if you need uppercase, you just hold ALT + SHIFT.

this may be a viable alternative for you

cheers
Gemini PDA x27