Author Topic: Does Sailfish OS for Gemini currently exist?  (Read 10447 times)

gidds

• View Profile
Does Sailfish OS for Gemini currently exist?
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 04:33:59 pm »
Is there any way for those of us not on Telegram?
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 11:00:18 pm »
Quote from: gidds

+1 - maybe PM?

Grench

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 10:35:42 am »
Quote from: vader

+1 - maybe PM?

+2 - I'm excited to see this OS, 'in the wild'.  I would prefer to get it directly from Jolla though.  This method feels a bit grey.

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2018, 05:33:02 pm »
Quote from: Grench

+1 - maybe PM?

+2 - I'm excited to see this OS, 'in the wild'.  I would prefer to get it directly from Jolla though.  This method feels a bit grey.

+3 - Also want to try it out, once I get my Gemini.

bzd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 10:47:14 am »
Quote from: mithrandir

+1 - maybe PM?

I'd really like to be using sailfish as my main driver. Gemini not due until June but would like to be prepared!  If PMing is an option then yes please!

Mr Tea

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2018, 07:37:55 am »
Quote from: bzd
Quote from: mithrandir

+1 - maybe PM?

I'd really like to be using sailfish as my main driver. Gemini not due until June but would like to be prepared!  If PMing is an option then yes please!
+4..... please

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2018, 07:54:47 am »
As stated earlier, Explit will send the download link to anyone who'll ask for it on Telegram. This might be annoying for anyone who doesn't have an account there, but please understand that he's not allowed to release the link in the wild, and that he needs to keep a list of all the users who are downloading it. Also, it's much easier to maintain the list if all the request come from one source only.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Mr Tea

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 08:13:42 am »
Quote from: Varti
As stated earlier, Explit will send the download link to anyone who'll ask for it on Telegram. This might be annoying for anyone who doesn't have an account there, but please understand that he's not allowed to release the link in the wild, and that he needs to keep a list of all the users who are downloading it. Also, it's much easier to maintain the list if all the request come from one source only.

Varti

Roger that!
Telegram sent.
Many thanks

Mr Tea

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2018, 08:20:54 am »
Also is there anyone able to share their experince of this current "unofficial test" release of Sailfish on Gemini?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 08:21:25 am by Mr Tea »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2018, 09:16:41 am »
Quote from: Mr Tea
Also is there anyone able to share their experince of this current "unofficial test" release of Sailfish on Gemini?
I have read some comments on IRC from an user testing it. The installation was apparently a pain, apart from that it was much more finished and faster than Debian. Everything seemed to be working except for camera and gps, the display also tended to go upside down if the device was tilted forward, probably because the accelerometer is in the keyboard part and that was confusing it.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

jutleys

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 04:44:16 pm »
I found this use full info below if anyone does manage to get it and want to take it for a spin.

Installing Sailfish
It's now in "closed beta". Don't ask me where to download it from. Hopefully it will be public soon. Here are the steps to install it in it's current form:

Install Android + Linux image, set up Debian (at least run resize2fs if you don't run the full script)
Make a backup of linux_boot: sudo dd of=linux-boot.img if=/dev/disk/by-partlabel/linux_boot
Download the sailfish .zip file to Android's Download directory. For some reason TWRP didn't find it if i just copied it to Android filesystem via Debian. MicroSD card should also work.
Boot TWRP.
Select the .zip from Downloads and install.
Power off and boot to Linux. Sailfish should start. The tutorial is a bit broken but you should get past it.
In Sailfish make a backup of linux_boot: dd of=sailfish-boot.img if=/dev/disk/by-partlabel/linux_boot
Switching between Sailfish and Debian
Overwrite the linux_boot partition with image you made earlier. For example to get from Sailfish to Debian, use dd if=linux-boot.img of=/dev/disk/by-partlabel/linux_boot

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2018, 05:37:03 pm »
I was going to install this, but decided to wait for the full sailfish 3. It has functionality specific to the gemini (hardware keyboard) and is designed to run on it. From the limited demo videos available online, it looks really slick. Good things come to those who wait - 1yr for my gemini, worth the wait........