Author Topic: UK Backers - when do you expect your Gemini?  (Read 7027 times)

SimonL

• View Profile
UK Backers - when do you expect your Gemini?
« on: May 03, 2018, 05:09:02 am »
The Perk/Order checker currently says, "If you selected a US or UK keyboard AND your Order ID is 1-4500, your unit will ship out before mid May. If you did not select a US or UK keyboard layout OR your Order ID is over 4500, your unit will ship end of May."

I believe that the most recent production run is currently being shipped (according to Planet on Indiegogo (2nd May), "UK bound units will ship tomorrow from Hong Kong and so all being well will be at warehouse in the UK mid next week." This would suggest that any order returning the above status on the checker is part of the forthcoming production run. Elsewhere on Indiegogo Planet have stated that SMT for the remaining units starts the week commencing 7th May. I believe that it takes two weeks to go from this point to a completed run, so we're looking at around 18th May for completion. This would suggest shipment to the UK week commencing 21st May, which takes about a week, so arriving in the UK around 28th May.

The next bit is the great unknown. I think the last run took around a week or two to go from arrival in the UK to arriving on backers door steps, but best case scenario would suggest delivery to backers beginning around the 4th June, possibly up to 15th June.

Realistically, therefore, I suspect that anyone who has been told their order will "ship out [from Hong Kong] before mid May" should probably expect delivery during the first half of June. Anyone who has been told their unit will "ship [from Hong Kong] end of May" therefore is probably looking at receiving their Gemini at the end of June. Somewhat later than we have been led to expect.

Does anyone else agree/disagree with this timeline? When do you expect your Gemini to arrive?

If this is accurate I don't know why Planet don't just tell customers to expect delivery in June rather than giving a vague date in May when units will ship from Hong Kong...

Montala

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 05:59:47 am »
Hi Simon,

I think I agree with most of what you are saying, but bearing in mind that backers in the U.S.A. are already receiving their orders, which were shipped by DHL directly from Hong Kong, and that (according to Planet) units are being shipped in bulk to the UK today, surely it will not be another 4 weeks before UK backers will actually receive their Gemini?

As we have been told that the final delivery to UK customers will be by either Royal Mail or (hopefully!) by DPD, rather than Hermes, who they used for the earlier deliveries, and that these will reach the UK early next week, we can but hope that arrangements for these final deliveries are already in place.

If that is indeed the case, then a further two weeks does seem rather a long time to wait!

As you have probably already gathered, I live in the UK, and understand that my order (Backer No. 17xx) is indeed included in the current shipment 'batch'!

David
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 06:01:03 am by Montala »

terryowen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 06:38:25 pm »
I had an email from PC today and it said that the current UK batch was expected to arrive early next week.  So I suppose at least a few UK backers should have them by the end of next week, though hundreds of units will take a while to get out the door.  I've gotten my own DHL shipping notice (US, 20xx - originally a wifi only but recently upgraded to 4G) and should have it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

andrewl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 02:19:59 am »
The Europe Geminis should clear through customs a bit quicker than last time, there was a few days waiting for the paperwork to be in order then they go to fulfillment so I expect that they will start to show up at homes around Friday 11 May, or Monday 14 May if you allow for a Bank Holiday.
The rest have just gone into production PCBs so I would guess they are assembling units next week so that they leave Shenzhen sometime in the week starting 14 May I would expect deliveries to start after the May 28 Bank Holiday.

It's really not long to wait now, it will soon pass if we get a few sunny days.

andrewl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 04:43:01 am »
Quote from: DBTchess
My order number is in the 700s so I was expectine mine in March... then April... so who knows?

I guess you ordered WiFi only or one of the less popular keyboard options. Planet said they will clear all indiegogo production in May, I suspect deliveries into June.

SimonL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 09:14:28 am »
Like many others, my order/perk was locked yesterday - #41xx. Hoping to receive this in the next week or so. Looks like my initial predictions might have been a little over cautious!

drand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 05:30:43 am »
Quote from: SimonL
Like many others, my order/perk was locked yesterday - #41xx. Hoping to receive this in the next week or so. Looks like my initial predictions might have been a little over cautious!

WiFi only (38XX) and I expect it is being produced around now so hoping (I think realistically) for delivery early-mid June. Are there are UK WiFi only backers who have their orders locked?

Hitherwood

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 05:08:15 pm »
I am backer number 4394 and tonight I had a notification that it was at Gatwick hub. Shipping via Royal Mail 24 hour delivery.
Thank God it wasn't Hermes!

DJO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 06:08:52 pm »
Quote from: Hitherwood
I am backer number 4394 and tonight I had a notification that it was at Gatwick hub.

Me too and as I live & work within 20 miles of Gatwick hopefully I'll get my sweaty paws on it tomorrow.

Well done Planet (hopefully)

soto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 06:12:16 pm »
Quote from: Hitherwood
I am backer number 4394 and tonight I had a notification that it was at Gatwick hub. Shipping via Royal Mail 24 hour delivery.
Thank God it wasn't Hermes!
I'm backer 38xx and haven't heard a peep

SimonM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 11:12:51 am »
Quote from: DBTchess
Mine just arrived today. order number in the 700s. Yes, really. It is for sale, as its.many months past the original delivery targer and I have a new pbone already.

Same, order number is in the 760s and it arrived this morning via Royal Mail.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 06:14:44 am »
I'm in the UK and ordered a UK keyboard, order 46xx, and there's been no update on the checker since 2nd May. All the talk on the forum makes me feel very left out  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 06:15:05 am by speculatrix »
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

andrewl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 08:08:26 am »
Quote from: speculatrix
I'm in the UK and ordered a UK keyboard, order 46xx, and there's been no update on the checker since 2nd May. All the talk on the forum makes me feel very left out  

Interesting Speculatrix, my or is 47xx 4g+WiFi and it arrived last week.

Did you order a WiFi non-4G one?

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 02:39:20 pm »
Quote from: andrewl

oh, that's interesting. I ordered a 4G one.  I had assumed I'd be waiting because my order is 46xx and thus will ship at the end of May because the checker says

If you did not select a US or UK keyboard layout OR your Order ID is over 4500, your unit will ship end of May

I did order the optional camera module, could that be the reason?

I sent an email to Planet Customer Support just now to check.

Paul
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 04:10:53 pm »
Quote from: speculatrix
Quote from: andrewl

oh, that's interesting. I ordered a 4G one.  I had assumed I'd be waiting because my order is 46xx and thus will ship at the end of May because the checker says

If you did not select a US or UK keyboard layout OR your Order ID is over 4500, your unit will ship end of May

I did order the optional camera module, could that be the reason?

I sent an email to Planet Customer Support just now to check.

Paul

Having ordered the camera module doesn't impact Gemini shipping. Camera module is not shipping yet and will be sent separately.

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/