Author Topic: Microsoft Office Not Starting  (Read 3759 times)

a1astair

• View Profile
Microsoft Office Not Starting
« on: May 09, 2018, 11:22:10 pm »
Hi,

I'm running the latest rooted stock Gemini Android. I successfully installed and could run Microsoft Word, Excel & Powerpoint.

However, as of today I noticed that none of these apps will start anymore. The splash screen is displayed, but then disappears - no error message shown. I tried restarting the Gemini, uninstalling, restarting & re-installing, but still the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alastair
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 03:17:27 am by a1astair »

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 07:25:50 pm »
Quote from: a1astair
Hi,

I'm running the latest rooted stock Gemini Android. I successfully installed and could run Microsoft Word, Excel & Powerpoint.

However, as of today I noticed that none of these apps will not start anymore. The splash screen is displayed, but then disappears - no error message shown. I tried restarting the Gemini, uninstalling, restarting & re-installing, but still the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alastair

Does this have something to do with google authentication? Goggle recently changed this meaning you have to manually certify uncertified (ie. gemini) devices. There is a post somewhere here about it.....

jornada720

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 09:18:28 pm »
Quote from: vader
Hi,

However, as of today I noticed that none of these apps will not start anymore. The splash screen is displayed, but then disappears - no error message shown. I tried restarting the Gemini, uninstalling, restarting & re-installing, but still the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alastair

Does this have something to do with google authentication? Goggle recently changed this meaning you have to manually certify uncertified (ie. gemini) devices. There is a post somewhere here about it.....

Some apps will not run on rooted devices. I ran into that issue with the Samsung Gear app. It wouldn't start when I was running from a rooted image. To me, having the notifications without having to open up my Gemini is worth the inconvenience of not having root.

scops

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 04:09:31 pm »
Just a semi OT hint: if ms office wont work (or if you dont like it) try softmaker office: http://www.softmaker.de/softmaker-office-hd-android
OpenPandora, Jolla C, BQ M10 fHD (ubports), MacBook Pro Retina (mid-2012), Zaurus SL-5500, OpenMoko Freerunner, Geeksphone Keon (ffOS 2.x), a few Raspberries, too many game consoles and Android devices,...

... and soon: Dragonbox Pyra, Librem 5

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 06:07:56 pm »
Quote from: jornada720
Quote from: vader
Hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Alastair

Some apps will not run on rooted devices. I ran into that issue with the Samsung Gear app. It wouldn't start when I was running from a rooted image. To me, having the notifications without having to open up my Gemini is worth the inconvenience of not having root.

But it did run initially, so I am thinking something I loaded subsequently broke it?

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 06:01:28 am »
Does anybody with a rooted Gemini have Office working OK?

Isaac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 08:48:16 am »
Word seems to work on my rooted Gemini.

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 11:11:09 pm »
Quote from: Isaac
Word seems to work on my rooted Gemini.

Thanks for confirming that. Must be something else that broke it. Driving me mad at the moment!

Alius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 11:10:56 am »
Not to add insult to injury but I just installed Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel from the Yalp store and they both appear to run properly on my rooted Gemini as well.  Wish you the best of luck tracking it down!

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 12:09:20 am »
Quote from: Alius
Not to add insult to injury but I just installed Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel from the Yalp store and they both appear to run properly on my rooted Gemini as well.  Wish you the best of luck tracking it down!

Thanks and I just worked out what is going on.

I had everything working and then installed a work profile on my phone so that I can access my corporate email. From that point on Word, Excel and Powerpoint would not run (even though I was not accessing them from within my work profile).

I deleted them and re-installed them from the Play store in my work profile. Now everything works OK!

So it had nothing to do with the Gemini or its root status. Hope this helps somebody else out there!

Isaac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 07:54:08 pm »
Oh that's wild, I would never have expected that. Thanks for the heads up, I can see this biting me eventually too.

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 10:08:11 pm »
Oh that's wild, I would never have expected that. Thanks for the heads up, I can see this biting me eventually too.

My company has lodged a support request with Google and - not surprisingly - they blame Microsoft. I'm sure if we lodge a support request with Microsoft, they will blame Google......

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 08:47:43 pm »

My company has lodged a support request with Google and - not surprisingly - they blame Microsoft. I'm sure if we lodge a support request with Microsoft, they will blame Google......

OK - now it has stopped working in the work profile, so I am totally confused.....

I think it may have something to do with my semi-root status. I have been playing around with various apps trying to get root working, but all to no avail. Some apps refuse to run because they say my Gemini is rooted and others that require root status say it is not.

Can live without MS Office for the moment, but will re-install everything from scratch once the 8.X update arrives.

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 12:03:13 am »

OK - now it has stopped working in the work profile, so I am totally confused.....

I think it may have something to do with my semi-root status. I have been playing around with various apps trying to get root working, but all to no avail. Some apps refuse to run because they say my Gemini is rooted and others that require root status say it is not.

Can live without MS Office for the moment, but will re-install everything from scratch once the 8.X update arrives.

After re-flashing with the latest stock Android (unrooted) - everything is working now!