Author Topic: Brackets  (Read 2169 times)

Calamityspice

• View Profile
Brackets
« on: May 27, 2018, 07:01:39 pm »
I can see the braces [], the curly braces {}, but where in the buggering hell are the normal brackets? I have a UK keyboard.

I've just looked at my old Psion 5 & that doesn't have them either.

BTW,  Has anyone noticed that the Gemini keyboard & the Psion 5 are exactly the same? Why did it need a new mat when the design had been figured out 20years ago?

Simon Pooley

• View Profile
Brackets
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 08:25:18 am »
My UK keyboard Gemini has ( on shift-9 and ) on shift-0

My Ericsson MC218 - a Psion 5mx re-badged - has ( on shift-8 and ) is on shift-9.

gidds

• View Profile
Brackets
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 07:30:06 pm »
The 'genuine' UK Psion layout is pretty much the same as the UK Gemini,with round brackets on Sh+9/0, angle brackets on Fn+5/6, square brackets on Fn+7/8, and curly brackets on Fn+9/0.

In fact, of the characters which are common to both, the only ones which have moved are the underline (from Fn+1 to FN+J), Euro (from Fn+E to Fn+4), and At (from Fn+4 to Fn+K).

As for the difference, while the same design agency was involved with both the Series 5 and Gemini, the manufacturers were in different countries.  It's perhaps ironic that in the '90s, keyboards were very common and it was the silicon, screen, and other components which were cutting-edge; while now the silicon, screen, and all the associated bits are standard and off-the-shelf while the keyboard is where they're having to build up expertise...
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Calamityspice

• View Profile
Brackets
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 08:30:06 pm »
Whoops, blind. I'd assumed they were on a function key like the other brackets. Didn't actually look at the shift part of the key. cheers.

speculatrix

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Brackets
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 07:02:31 pm »
@gidds I appreciate the irony at having to reinvent the keyboard.
Gemini 4G/Wi-Fi owner, formerly zaurus C3100 and 860 owner; also owner of an HTC Doubleshot, a Zaurus-like phone.