Author Topic: Big announcement tomorrow!  (Read 3283 times)

smapmap

• View Profile
Big announcement tomorrow!
« on: June 25, 2018, 12:01:56 pm »
Planet have indicated there will be two big announcements tomorrow.... let the speculation begin!!!

To get the ball rolling....

- acquired rights to use the Psion name - making the comeback complete?
- Oreo support?
- Agenda app?
- Sailfish?

Montala

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:19:29 pm »
I think you will find that at least one of the 'announcements' will just be confirmation of what they actually made live on their support website (http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Main_Page) lat Friday, which is the release of an updated FlashTool, FlashToolDrivers, Android Firmware, Linux Firmware (including updated Debian and Sailfish OS Community edition). They also released an updated PartitionTool which offers more flexibility, together with new Android and Linux flashing guides!

You were close anyway!  

depscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 12:20:50 pm »
Quote from: smapmap
Planet have indicated there will be two big announcements tomorrow.... let the speculation begin!!!

- Oreo support?
- Agenda app?
- Sailfish?
If history teaches us anything, when Planet "indicates" something, nothing happens. Hell, when they flat-out *promise* something more often than not nothing happens.
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

Ifanafi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 12:28:35 pm »
This link's page is new recently: http://support.planetcom.co.uk/partitionTool.html

Quote from: Montala
I think you will find that at least one of the 'announcements' will just be confirmation of what they actually made live on their support website (http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Main_Page) lat Friday, which is the release of an updated FlashTool, FlashToolDrivers, Android Firmware, Linux Firmware (including updated Debian and Sailfish OS Community edition). They also released an updated PartitionTool which offers more flexibility, together with new Android and Linux flashing guides!

You were close anyway!  

Montala

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 12:38:37 pm »
That's the one!  

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 03:39:58 pm »
Quote from: Ifanafi
This link's page is new recently: http://support.planetcom.co.uk/partitionTool.html
They said somewhere that that was in preparation for some announcement this week, so I don't believe that it is all.

So maybe something like a partnership of some kind with Jolla/Sailfish? That could probably be interesting...???

salvomic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 03:45:52 pm »
My wishes (but probably not their announcements):
• Agenda and ToDo apps
• Data (archives) app
• Spell checkers
• automatic FOTA updates for dual (triple) boot
• native FlashTool (graphical) for Mac OS X
• Manual (PDF by Mike)
• all other things
:-)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:14:27 pm by salvomic »
Gemini, Psion S5 and S5mx, iPhone, iPad, Huawei MediaPad M5, some HP calculators.
Psion Fans Italia moderator

andrewl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 02:52:55 am »
Quote from: smapmap

- Oreo support?
- Agenda app?
- Sailfish?

I believe Mr Potter is associated with the Psion project, would be fun.

If the announcement was Oreo that would be a bit of a let down.

Agenda app is due and I would be happy with that, but expect V0.0b to ne a WIP and trigger the usual whingers.

Sailfish - I would be happy with that, I am hoping for an Android free Gemini eventually.

It could also be that some large organisation has decided to get involved in some way.

Charlie Stross

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 05:41:17 am »
The announcement is out: PLANET  COMPUTERS  ANNOUNCES  GEMINI  PDA  TO  RUN  SAILFISH  OS

Sailfish Community Edition is available for download for the Gemini right now (based on Sailfish 2); Sailfish X, based on Sailfish 3, "will  be  available  in  late  2018  and  will  feature  a  suite  of  advanced  functions  including:  over-the-air  (OTA)  updates;  Jolla  Store  access;  end-user  support;  and  crucially  for  Gemini  users,  full  support  for  landscape  user-interface  (UI),  encrypted  user  data  and  communications,  Android  app  support  and  a  refreshed  user  interface,  with  improvements  like  redesigned  email. "

Dr. Watson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 10:13:59 am »