Author Topic: New firmware update released  (Read 7734 times)

Richard Hallas

• View Profile
New firmware update released
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 03:22:02 pm »
Quote from: gidds
I only have Macs
Do we know if there's going to be a Mac version of the flash tool? It's pretty frustrating to me that there isn't Mac support at present, since it's also my choice of platform and I don't own a PC.

I guess I could try using either the Windows or the Linux tool in a VM under Parallels Desktop... but frankly I'd MUCH rather have a native Mac version of the tool for obvious reasons.

So, is it known whether Planet (or anyone else) is working on a Mac version of the tool?

RSS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 03:39:25 pm »
Just a warning for anyone who has TWRP installed, after this firmware update I couldn't even get into Android again and it had me in a bootloop into recovery with no errors (apparently). Not even flashing the system image file alone works, as a firmware upgrade was the only thing that got my device working again, so that meant losing userdata. Oh well.

Is there a way to install .zip files without TWRP? Last time I checked, the standard recovery system doesn't let you do that, or am I mistaken?

-RSS

zevv

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 04:12:58 pm »
Can anyone confirm if stereo audio playing on the speakers is now functional?

shinkamui

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 04:49:48 pm »
Quote from: RSS
Just a warning for anyone who has TWRP installed, after this firmware update I couldn't even get into Android again and it had me in a bootloop into recovery with no errors (apparently). Not even flashing the system image file alone works, as a firmware upgrade was the only thing that got my device working again, so that meant losing userdata. Oh well.

Is there a way to install .zip files without TWRP? Last time I checked, the standard recovery system doesn't let you do that, or am I mistaken?

-RSS

You can try flashfire or flashify.  They were both staples of the rooting community years ago.  Just require root.  Both should be on the play store, you may also find them on XDA for those who are google paranoid (which seems to be a surprisingly large demographic within the community)

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 05:50:27 pm »
Quote from: Richard Hallas
Do we know if there's going to be a Mac version of the flash tool?
The impression from Planet is that that's very unlikely, unfortunately.

Still, even though very awkward, it is at least possible to flash from a Mac, by booting into Linux.  Having done it once, I've kept the Debian 9 USB stick, and another stick with the Flash Tool &c, for precisely this eventuality — so although it's a pain shutting everything down and rebooting, the flashing shouldn't take too long.

And it shouldn't be needed very often.  If comments above are accurate, this is the last time it'll be needed for a simple firmware update; after this, we'll only need it to change the OS.
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 11:39:34 pm »
Anyone have battery issues since this upgrade?

8 hours on battery and it is saying 8 hours left! I usually have 8 hours life left right at the end of the day. It is midday now.....

iJacks

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 09:25:44 am »
Hey guys, I just chased Planet Computers as the updated firmware for manual install still isn't available.  The response was not what I wanted

Apologies for the confusion yesterday. It appears that the full image of the updated firmware still hasn't been compiled. The official response I've received from a developer earlier today stated that we will have the links updated within a week once the full compilation is ready.

Of course I'm not including the full email as that has names etc - still, I guess this means that by the time we rooted/dual boot users get the update any extra fixes and updates will be ready and others will have already found all the problems

MrDiBs

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 04:34:43 pm »
Can't even upgrade firmware... it downloads and aborts on reboot...Message I see with my microscope is something about  invalid zip file.

Anyone have a clue....
[img]http://www.screanews.us/SeniorHumor/GifSenior/GrampsCainer.gif\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-sig-image\" /]Old timer with much to give but worth nothing to those who won't take the advice.

iJacks

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 04:55:48 pm »
Quote from: MrDiBs
Can't even upgrade firmware... it downloads and aborts on reboot...Message I see with my microscope is something about  invalid zip file.

Anyone have a clue....

Yeah, if you have root and/or dual boot it currently will NOT work - we have to wait for the manual flashing site (http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Gemini_Firmware) to be updated
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:56:10 pm by iJacks »

nullr0ute

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2018, 01:33:05 pm »
To update a dual-booted or rooter Gemini, you can do 3 things, one of which made possible by me having done one of these.

1. Wait for Planet Computers to release the new firmware and only flash the system.img.
2. For dual-booted Gemini: Back up everything (instructions on Github wiki), flash fresh non-rooted firmware and install update official way. Then back up again and only select system.img in WWR tool.
For rooted Gemini: flash back unrooted boot.img, update official way, then install rooted boot.img again. (I have not done or tested this method.)
3. Download and flash my system.img that I made with step 2. You can download it here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1q_H...DZvOHYHBcWZQx0C

I did step 2. It costs some time but works perfectly.

I'm not responsible for anything you do with this information however.

srcshelton

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2018, 10:18:19 am »
I've got a completely stock Wifi-only Gemini (never refreshed) and version:

Code: [Select]
Gemini-7.1-Planet-09052018-WIFI-V1.<2018-05-09 19:08>... yet tapping the 'Detection of update' button just results in the message "is the latest version".

Is the updated firmware also available for the Wifi model?

Do I need to do something to pick-up the OTA update, or is there a way to force an update from the device (without having to re-flash from a host computer)?