Author Topic: Apps: Text viewing  (Read 1468 times)

gidds

• View Profile
Apps: Text viewing
« on: June 14, 2018, 05:10:04 am »
What Android apps do people use/recommend for reading ebooks and other text documents?

(Rather than hijacking other topics, I thought it would be a good idea to have some dedicated topics for discussing and recommending apps!  I'm new to Android, so having to find apps to cover all the things I used my Psion for.)

My requirements are slightly unusual, in that I have loads of books in Palm DOC (.pdb) format which I've edited/formatted myself.  (I'm very fussy about typography &c!  I used to read them on my Psion using Simon Quinn's EBook program.  But I'll probably be converting them to FB2 or HTML or similar.)

The reader I'm trying at the moment is AlReader, and I'm liking it so far.  It handles .pdb files, has a built-in file viewer, can read files on an external drive, and can add book shortcuts on the home screen.  I like its almost-full-screen mode, with just a thin progress bar along the bottom.  It has a choice of fonts, colours, and textures.  You can configure the actions attached to a wide variety of taps, swipes, and some keypresses.  It has some nice animations (intuitive but fast and unobtrusive).

My main niggles so far are that most keypresses aren't supported (so e.g. I can set the ‘1’ key to the ‘Find’ function, but not F or Ctrl+F; and that it doesn't preserve whitespace when showing text (ignoring any indentation and double-spaced sentences).  Also, ideally it would support the same sort of auto-bookmarking that Simon Quinn's program did (with a tag at the bottom of the file giving the character used to start heading lines — I always used a chevron) — though I don't seriously expect any programs to support that these days, now better formats are available!

Before that, I briefly tried FBReader and Cool Reader, but wasn't so impressed.  (I think they both had character-set and formatting issues, and the former had trouble opening files in other folders.)

What apps are you folks using, and what do you like about them?
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

scops

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 07:58:28 am »
I use Moon+ Reader Pro. It is nicely customizable and has nice themes. Even two page landscape mode, which is nice on the gemini. But i think it doesn't support palm docs. My books are mostly epubs.
OpenPandora, Jolla C, BQ M10 fHD (ubports), MacBook Pro Retina (mid-2012), Zaurus SL-5500, OpenMoko Freerunner, Geeksphone Keon (ffOS 2.x), a few Raspberries, too many game consoles and Android devices,...

... and soon: Dragonbox Pyra, Librem 5

Charlie Stross

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 07:04:10 am »
It's a long time since I had any PalmDoc files to read, but FBReader was always my go-to ebook reader on non-PalmOS platforms, and it's available on Android in the Play store. There's also a Premium version — ad-free, includes cloud-based sync between devices, automatic translation via Google Translate, and a bunch of other features.