Author Topic: Desktops (workspaces)  (Read 2380 times)

geophile

• View Profile
Desktops (workspaces)
« on: July 17, 2018, 11:20:27 am »
Is there some way to use multiple desktops or workspaces using LXQT on Linux? The Keyboard Shortcuts have entries for "Switch to Desktop N", 1 <= N <= 4, and I tried binding keys to those commands, but those keys then seem to be ineffective.

Multiple desktops would be extremely useful, given the small amount of screen real estate.

jornada720

• View Profile
Desktops (workspaces)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:10:51 pm »
Quote from: geophile
Is there some way to use multiple desktops or workspaces using LXQT on Linux? The Keyboard Shortcuts have entries for "Switch to Desktop N", 1 <= N <= 4, and I tried binding keys to those commands, but those keys then seem to be ineffective.

Multiple desktops would be extremely useful, given the small amount of screen real estate.

You've encountered one of the scores of reasons why PC should have chosen KDE instead of the buggy mess that is LXQt. To adjust those settings, go to the KWin or KDE shortcuts configuration boxes.

geophile

• View Profile
Desktops (workspaces)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 10:18:40 pm »
Where would I find those configuration tools?

Eric BF

• View Profile
Desktops (workspaces)
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 03:34:11 am »
Quote from: geophile
Where would I find those configuration tools?
From system menu (far left on the taskbar at the  bottom of the screen), choosing (from memory) System and then ... (sorry, I don't use lxqt).
Gemini 4G Debian
OpenPandora with Debian

geophile

• View Profile
Desktops (workspaces)
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 10:01:59 pm »
I figured it out. The number of desktops is configured in ~/.config/kwinrc, in the [Desktops] section.

I set the number to 4, and bound ctrl-alt N to desktop N, N = 1..4.

Now if I could only figure out how to go to the next or previous desktop, instead of selecting by number.