Author Topic: Keyboard symbols  (Read 2518 times)

wyrm

• View Profile
Keyboard symbols
« on: June 21, 2018, 07:03:29 am »
I have received my Gemini a couple of days ago and am VERY happy with it. One problem I cannot seem to solve is using the symbols via the keyboard. I have used the Gemini keyboard app to configure the right keyboard layout, all keys and shift-symbols work, the Fn-symbols however not. So I cannot access symbols like ?":;- and brightness...
Some function keys do work, ie Fn-Sym, volume does also work.

The solution is likely very simple, but I cannot find it.
My private pda museum: http://pdamuseum.jimdo.com

carepack

• View Profile
Keyboard symbols
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 07:38:56 am »
check that nothing is present in user defined input styles. You'll find it in the in the design an layout sections when you enter the gemini keyboard app

jakfish

• View Profile
Keyboard symbols
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:16:45 am »
Also, in "virtual keyboard," make certain that only Gemini keyboard is ticked.

Jake

wyrm

• View Profile
Keyboard symbols
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 09:48:37 am »
Thanks for your reply. All settings seems to be like described above, still no luck.
The top row keys work perfect with the shift key, others not so good: for example Shift+. gives a > (should be ?)
Fn keys work for about half of the keys.

I also tried a reboot, no succes....

See attached screenshots (in Dutch) for details

jakfish

• View Profile
Keyboard symbols
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 10:04:29 am »
In your third pic, I do believe that your choice should not grayed-out.

Jake

wyrm

• View Profile
Keyboard symbols
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 10:33:42 am »
I could only enable it by switching on Google speech to text. This brings however no solution to my problem...
See attached screenshot.

jakfish

• View Profile
Keyboard symbols
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 12:05:58 pm »
I'm guessing since I'm new to the Gemini as well. But try this: first, untick any other keyboard than Gemini, including Google speech to text. Then, in Settings, go to Language & input/Virtual keyboard/Gemini Keyboard/Configure/Setting up Gemini Keyboard and repeat the 4 setup steps, then reboot.

This is very odd,
Jake

gymbo

• View Profile
Keyboard symbols
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 08:09:51 pm »
Quote from: wyrm
I could only enable it by switching on Google speech to text. This brings however no solution to my problem...
See attached screenshot.
It gets grayed-out when its the only keyboard selected (in other words; you actually HAVE to choose at least ONE keyboard  ).

And just to get it out of the way: You have set the keyboard-app to the same language as your physical keyboard? (I assume you have, but am wondering since your Gemini is set to Dutch, and if I understand the screenshots correctly you have selected an English keyboard in the app?)

But what I THINK might be the problem, is the same as I encountered when setting up mine in Norwegian. I went through all the steps of the keyboard-configuration several times, and it refused to give the special Norwegian characters (and thus the Norwegian keyboard setting). I still had the notification about changing/setting the keyboard, and after hitting it for the umpteen time, it apparently "took" and I got my Norwegian keyboard. (I do believe I restarted my Gemini after that, but I MAY have forgotten, because after some time it restarted on its own, and I lost it again. I went through the steps several times again before it took, and then i KNOW i restarted it immediately after successfully entering the Norwegian keyboard, and it has stayed with it now even after firmware-update and several restart/crashes...) The notification disappeared after I got the keyboard set correctly.

But there is certainly some "magic" involved in getting the keyboard selection to "stick"  

selig

• View Profile
    • http://www.selig.se
Keyboard symbols
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2018, 03:42:26 am »
When setting up my (swedish layout( keyboard, I remember to have struggled with the language selection as well. After setting all available input methods to (in my case:) Swedish/Gemini and rebooting afterwards, the settings stuck.

Might be worth a try.

carepack

• View Profile
Keyboard symbols
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 03:46:02 am »
whats under "user defined input methods" ? I can't see it on the posted pictures

open gemini keyboard app - desing & layouts - user defined input methods?
The lsit should be empty. I struggled with it too, because I had two entries there. My keyboard start working accordingly when I removed them
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:49:02 am by carepack »

wyrm

• View Profile
Keyboard symbols
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2018, 02:05:23 pm »
Quote from: carepack
whats under "user defined input methods" ? I can't see it on the posted pictures

open gemini keyboard app - desing & layouts - user defined input methods?
The lsit should be empty. I struggled with it too, because I had two entries there. My keyboard start working accordingly when I removed them

It is indeed empty. Tried all things suggested above with the same result: Some symbols work, others just don't. So there is no easy way of typing a question mark. when I use Fn+Sym, a virtual keyboard is shown. I leave that on screen so I can use all symbols. It's blocking quite a bit of my screen, but I cannot find any other solution..
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 02:06:02 pm by wyrm »

wyrm

• View Profile
Keyboard symbols
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 04:00:04 am »
A few tries and reboots later, the keyboard works as it should. I don't know what triggered it, I just hope it stays like this...