Author Topic: Gemini PDA - Accessories - Pouches/Covers  (Read 12343 times)

pdtpoet

• View Profile
Gemini PDA - Accessories - Pouches/Covers
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 04:16:48 pm »
Quote from: Daniel W
Quote from: pdtpoet
Anyone else care to comment on the relative ruggedness, Psion 5mx vs Gemini PDA?
While the Psion LCD just has a plastic film for cover, the Gemini has Gorilla Glass, which, while it might break more easily, should protect the actual display quite a bit better. As a Psion screen both slides and folds, its ribbon cable is prone to breaking. Since the Gemini only folds, I'd guess its (two) ribbon cables won't wear out as easily.

When closed, the keyboard-to-screen hinge of a Psion slides inside the device, which probably protects it a bit more in case of a drop.  If dropped when open, I'd guess a Psion and a Gemini has similar odds of survival, depending on how they'd land. Since a Gemini is a tad lighter (my kitchen scale says 307g with the rear camera addon), it would impact with a tad less force than a Psion, but just a tad.

Speaking of the rear camera, it is protected by a window, made from what seems (to me) to be plastic, which presumably would scratch quite easily. As it's stuck on with double-sided tape, it's likely possible, but perhaps a bit messy, to replace, shoud spare parts become available.

For anyone considering the add-on camera, I'd say a case is neccesary, lest I'm wrong, and the window is actual glass, but until we know for sure, I'd say use a case. Should that make frequent use of the Gemini too cumbersome, then perhaps ironically, frequent users might better stay away from the add-on camera (at least until we know how it fares without a case). For what it's worth, I keep my main "umpteen times a day" phone in a case that requires two steps to retrieve or insert it. I find that quite tolerable, but that's just me.  

While my PC Gemini case was silly snug at first, I'm happy it was. Being actual leather, it does stretch a bit over time. While my (also leather) Psion slipcase soon got so loose that the Psion would easily fall out of it, my Gemini case now seems to be just righ; easy enough for me to apply or remove, but with no risk of the Gemini falling out if it. For me, the PC case feels "just right". No case wouldn't feel good, and a larger case would make my Gemini too bulky for my pockets.

The add-on camera has made a slight hump in the case, just where the PC logo is, as I'm always inserting my Gemini that way. So far, the inside fabric of the case seems to keep the camera window clean, though that might change once enough grease has rubbed off inside the case. Time will tell, I suppose.

Thank you for the considered reply, Daniel
Pdtpoet

Roy KG

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 06:04:26 pm »
Quote from: gidds
Quote from: Roy KG
If you intend the Gemini to be a smartphone too, in constant use, then this case will probably be too much trouble to keep accessing it.  I will be using my Gemini primarily as a PDA (to replace my long serving Psions) so quick constant access is not a concern.

You obviously used your Psion less frequently than I did

Maybe, maybe not, but I think I didn't make myself clear, and your statement is past tense - my use of my Psion is on going whilst I'm getting to know not only the Gemini but also Android and a smart phone, neither of which I have had before.  I also drive to my jobs with all my equipment, so I cannot possibly use it whilst driving which means it only gets used at the locations.

In the case of my Psion I don't have to take it out of its case to use it.  It is held in the case with Velcro, so it is very quick to take it out, unzip the case, open the Psion and use it.  I have been doing this for the past 20 years and continue still.

With the Gemini, I have to take it out of the case, put the case somewhere (usually back in my pocket) then open the Gemini to use it; and then the reverse to put it back in my pocket.  That takes longer than the Psion.  If I find a slim case that I can Velcro the Gemini into, to use like I do my Psion, then I will buy it, but so far I haven't seen anything suitable.

My Gemini, too, gets whipped out umpteen times a day: for looking stuff up in Wikipedia, a dictionary, &c; for reading books in the loo; for noting down ideas and to-dos; for playing quick games; for accessing sites like this one when commuting (Guess what I'm typing this on!), for playing music ditto, and an increasing list of other things too.

A case would prove far too slow and restrictive for me.

Yes I can understand that, since there isn't a case as far as I'm aware where you can use it still in its case like the Psion.

But perhaps the beauty of the Gemini is that different people can use it in different ways...

I would certainly agree with that Andy.  I'm just happy someone had the courage to make a modern day PDA.

Roy

Calamityspice

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 09:19:46 pm »
Quote from: gidds
Quote from: Calamityspice
I just carry mine in my pocket.

Me too.

I carried a Psion in my front-left trouser pocket.

I couldn't do that. Has to be front right.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:24:26 pm by Calamityspice »

Jos

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2018, 09:15:02 am »
I came across a nice SanDisc stick on the net: https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-...rive-usb-type-c

Looks good so i ordered one.

Dixit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2018, 01:24:27 pm »
I concurr with the case becoming "just good" in about one week of use.
Let's hope it stays in the "just good" range.

BTW, today I made my first scratch on the case. Probably the zipper of an inside compartment of my rucksack.
OK, better than on the Gemini, but still... the first one hurts the worst.

pdtpoet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 10:25:40 am »
FOUND - A "QUICK DRAW" BELT CASE SPECIFICALLY MADE OR THE GEMINI PDA

I found one on eBay custom-made for the Gemini - here is the link:  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gemini-PDA-Leather...zIAAOSwzFBbREAu

It's perfect for my needs, as it is thin and unobtrusive but very protective, and has a "quick-draw" configuration with a magnetic clasp and a pocket for the "cover removal tool" - it is expensive, but so is my 4G + wifi Gemini - and I always felt that the Planet Computer leather cover is not very protective of shocks.  

pdtpoet [ Invalid Attachment ]

Calamityspice

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 07:36:28 pm »
Will replacement metal parts become available eventually? My Gemini is showing to be surprisingly robust, but the top & bottom covers have a reasonable number of dings & dents. The perils of Warehouse work I guess.

Different colour options would be nice. Pink perchance?

Dixit

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 11:16:58 am »
Yes, pdtpoet, that IS a nice case.

It would be nice if  an EU-vendor purchases some. If I buy it directly from Taiwan, then Customs would hold it and I would pay another $ 75 on taxes and handling costs. Now, $ 175 is a bit over the top.

epninety

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 09:08:32 am »
I ordered the external camera to replace a dented cover on my gemini. 6 weeks in I'm still waiting for them to ship, so don't hold your breath on spare parts.  

Quote from: Calamityspice
Will replacement metal parts become available eventually? My Gemini is showing to be surprisingly robust, but the top & bottom covers have a reasonable number of dings & dents. The perils of Warehouse work I guess.

Different colour options would be nice. Pink perchance?

pdtpoet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2018, 09:25:46 am »
Quote from: Dixit
Yes, pdtpoet, that IS a nice case.

It would be nice if  an EU-vendor purchases some. If I buy it directly from Taiwan, then Customs would hold it and I would pay another $ 75 on taxes and handling costs. Now, $ 175 is a bit over the top.

Dixit,

Thank you for liking the case.  I have just come back from a workshop where I was finally using my Gemini like my old Psion.  I have to tell you that, in Airplane Mode, after 2 full days of taking notes on Word, I still had 84% left on the battery (I would shut the Gemini off at night).  When the workshop was done, I turned on WiFi, accessed the Internet and was able to put my notes on Onedrive, thus making the notes available on all my devices (laptop, Macbook, iPad, iPhone).  And I believe, for me, typing on the Gemini is easier than it was on the Psion.  

So - if other folks use the Gemini as I do, primarily as a productivity device, I guarantee that they will fall in love with it and spread the word.  Then there will be a Gemini 2 - and there will be lots of nice cases sold by EU vendors.  Fingers crossed.

pdtpoet