Author Topic: There IS a useful AGENDA app for the Gemini  (Read 12213 times)

Dixit

• View Profile
There IS a useful AGENDA app for the Gemini
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 06:03:45 am »
I am still hesitating between Calengoo, aCalendar and Business Calendar. With the disadvantage that Calengoo cannot be 'try before you buy'.

Quick question: is there already a version out-of-beta (i.e. the version on Playstore) that has keyboard shortcuts ?

I am not really into a beta version, as I am already an unvoluntary beta tester for the Gemini Agenda app.

SNi

• View Profile
    • http://www.sibelle.info
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2018, 09:18:49 am »
Quote from: Dixit
I am still hesitating between Calengoo, aCalendar and Business Calendar. With the disadvantage that Calengoo cannot be 'try before you buy'.

Quick question: is there already a version out-of-beta (i.e. the version on Playstore) that has keyboard shortcuts ?

I am not really into a beta version, as I am already an unvoluntary beta tester for the Gemini Agenda app.

You most certainly can install and try out Calengoo, it has an initial trial period (see pic)... Have no idea about the beta...

Dixit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 11:17:47 am »
Thanks !
I could not find it in the Play Store, but when I google it, google finds both the paid version as well as the trial.
Currently playing around with the lay-outs...

It seems that (at least) the trial does not have keyboard operated functions, so that partially answers my own question.

Very nice program.
Difficult, all those choices. The responsiveness of the author is of course an extreme plus !

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2018, 11:42:59 am »
Quote from: Dixit
Thanks !
I could not find it in the Play Store, but when I google it, google finds both the paid version as well as the trial.
Currently playing around with the lay-outs...

It seems that (at least) the trial does not have keyboard operated functions, so that partially answers my own question.

Very nice program.
Difficult, all those choices. The responsiveness of the author is of course an extreme plus !

Just email the dev, Dominique, and he will provide a link to the beta....

android@calengoo.com

It's really not a beta, like in a new program, with lots of bugs...it's the program with keyboard shortcuts added.

And with my and several others input, he already tweaked program. To me, it should be ready now or very soon for actual release.

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2018, 06:02:50 pm »
That doesn't answer whether it's better than aCalendar, though  

(I have to make that decision, too…)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 06:17:49 pm »
Does CalenGoo need you to sign into a Google account, like the Planet Agenda does?

(Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I can't tell from their web site, and can't try it and see without forking out money…)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 06:37:09 pm by gidds »
   Andy/

zevv

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 02:53:34 am »
Quote from: gidds
Does CalenGoo need you to sign into a Google account, like the Planet Agenda does?

No, it does not. It allows you to sync to any android calender - which for many people means syncing to google - but it does not in any way depend on google services.

I run Calengoo together with DAVdroid [1], and sync to a Radicale [2] server on a linux box - no google involved here.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 07:19:11 am »
Quote from: zevv
No, it does not.
Sounds good!  I don't want to sync to anything — just to hold the calendar locally.

The next hurdle is: do I need to sign into Google to buy it…?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 07:19:55 am by gidds »
   Andy/

zevv

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2018, 11:37:28 am »
The next hurdle is: do I need to sign into Google to buy it…?

No, you don't. I contact the developer by e-mail and was able to pay using paypal, after which I received a link to the .apk to download and manually install.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2018, 12:00:05 pm »
I contact the developer by e-mail and was able to pay using paypal
Great, TVM.

My last excuse just disappeared…  
   Andy/

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2018, 06:08:46 pm »
I contact the developer by e-mail and was able to pay using paypal, after which I received a link to the .apk to download and manually install.
I sent the developer an email this afternoon, and he replied only a few hours later with a link!  I paid (with VISA) and already have CalenGoo installed.  So far, so good!

However, it could be a while before I'm able to make full use of it, as transferring my existing agenda to it turns out to be harder than expected…

I have 25 years' worth of data in Psion Agenda.  I already found a Psion program called vCal which can convert that to a .vcs (vCalendar) file.  It turns out that CalenGoo can import .ics but not .vcs.  However, I found a Java program which can convert .vcs to .ics.

But checking the result in a text editor showed some deeper problems.  It seems that vCal has lost a lot of data: all repeats, all anniversaries, all alarms, and all embedded objects!  I only had 30-odd embedded objects, so I can do those manually, but the rest would take forever (and I'd never be sure I got everything).

So I'm now wondering how feasible it might be to write my own conversion program…  

(Edit: this may be feasible in OPL, as Psion released several OPXs (OPL eXtension modules), one of which gives programmatic access to the Agenda engine.  In fact, I already have it installed, along with its readme.  If it gives access to everything relevant, which at first glance it seems to, then this should be doable.  Also, .ics is a text-based format and looks straightforward, though it'd be useful to see some docs on it.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 06:54:48 pm by gidds »
   Andy/

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2018, 05:00:21 pm »
Good news: Agenda2.opx does make it easy to access a Psion Agenda file.  It gives access to all entry types (appointments, events, anniversaries, todos), to their dates and times, alarms, symbols, tentative and crossed-out flags.

Bad news: It doesn't give access to their repeats, nor to styling (bold &c) nor embedded objects.

So it's still worth trying to write a converter of my own, as it could probably do a better job than vCal.  But it can't do everything; it'll need lots of manual work afterward, using the Agenda program's list view to identify all the repeats &c.   

Still, the developer of CalenGoo has been very helpful, and given me a few pointers as to what CalenGoo will accept.

Apparently “There seem to be many Gemini owners waiting for these keyboard shortcuts.”     Quite a few folks here must have contacted him!  It sounds like there may be a proper release with them in the next couple of weeks.
   Andy/

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2018, 01:34:18 pm »
(It doesn't distinguish timed and untimed appointments, either; it gives them all start and end times.  I've been going through 4000-odd entries over 25 years, manually identifying the untimed ones.  That's now done, but going through and manually identifying all the repeats will take a lot longer…)
   Andy/

zsalab2

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 07:07:14 pm »
CalenGoo1.76 was released today and all the requested keyboard shortcuts are in the software.

A/W/S/D/T/Y = agenda, week, month, day, task, year view
M = month
ctrl+E = new event
ctrl+T = new task
1/del = today
Q/E = previous/next
V/B = previous/next
H = help
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:12:46 pm by zsalab2 »

zsalab2

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2019, 01:36:40 pm »
Quote from: zsalab2
CalenGoo1.76 was released today and all the requested keyboard shortcuts are in the software.

A/W/S/D/T/Y = agenda, week, month, day, task, year view
M = month
ctrl+E = new event
ctrl+T = new task
1/del = today
Q/E = previous/next
V/B = previous/next
H = help

CalenGoo 1.77 was released this week and the developer updated the keyboard shortcuts to better fit the Gemini and among others pressing "del" now leads directly to "settings".