Author Topic: Gemini PDA Gen 2 Features Request  (Read 27095 times)

gymbo

• View Profile
Gemini PDA Gen 2 Features Request
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2018, 04:36:48 pm »
Quote from: covex
For years the thinkpads use a "neat" trick - the led in the display that lits the keyboard from top - just one diod properly placed can do that. In times I used jornada, I helped myself by tilting display slightly towards the keyboard and there was enought light to see a keyboard symbols. With Gemini this is hardly possible, as the display has only one position and it would not hold half way open., so the keyboard remains dark, which I also somethimes see as a problem.

It IS possible (although VERY awkward) to use the old Communicator trick (probably used mostly on the 9500/9300...) of tilting the screen to shine on the keyboard. But there are two major problems with using this on the Gemini:
  • You need a lighter background than the one which is standard on the password-screen of the Gemini to be able to use it properly there...
  • The hinge is "spring-loaded", so it requires additional force to hold it at the right angle. The Nokia 9500 also had only one "angle" it opened to, but it didn't have a spring-mechanism "pushing" it open...

Artemys

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2018, 07:46:16 am »
oh yes, I also pretty much miss a backlit keyb, not really because of the letters itself, but because of the special characters that are set on several buttons.
and some mark on the 'f' and 'j' buttons that are sensable with my fingers would be nice.
i think i'll never understand those who need droid to be preinstalled, i think that the target group of such phones would like to get rid of the holy trinity (droid/iphone/win) - but this is just my guess.
maybe the other option could be a slidable phone instead of openable, this hinge also bothers me a little, especially on hard surface.

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2018, 12:58:19 pm »
Quote from: Artemys
oh yes, I also pretty much miss a backlit keyb
It would be nice, yes.  I don't think it's likely, though.

There's little room under the keyboard for extra LEDs and/or fibres.  But, more significantly, the keytops themselves would need to change completely: instead of manufacturing five* sizes of blanks and then using a laser to ‘print’ the letters on for the relevant language, I think each keytop would need to be manufactured separately for each language.  That's feasible for a company like Apple, but I suspect it's simply impractical for the small manufacturing volumes for each Gemini keyboard type.

[size=](* Full-size keys, top row keys, Space, Enter, and Tab.)[/size]

Quote from: Artemys
and some mark on the 'f' and 'j' buttons that are sensible with my fingers would be nice.
Mmm.

I wonder whether a tiny drop of cyanoacrylate glue (‘Superglue’ &c) would work?  Anyone want to try that?
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Artemys

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2018, 06:38:35 am »
A shiny white led on the outside would also be nice like on phones nowadays, so one can use it as a flashlight for example looking for something in the dark.

Regarding to different keyboards to different languagages: when ordering the Gemini you have to choose the language of the keyboard. Still, I still did not have my Precious One if I do not choose the default US layout. So I think this is a dead end anyway also without backlit.

zsalab2

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2018, 05:46:07 pm »
Planet should make the users vote using one of the online available voting sites to actually see which features are the most looked for...