Author Topic: GPS not working  (Read 3233 times)

death

• View Profile
GPS not working
« on: July 26, 2018, 08:54:53 am »
When i start google maps and press the 'center' icon it goes straight to where i am at that moment on the map.

however when i press 'directions' and then 'start' it says: "waiting for location" and never really finds it.

in settings -> location
i have "location mode" at: high accuracy

could this be a hardware or software problem.. or both?

how to fix it because i used it a lot on my provious phone.

gymbo

• View Profile
GPS not working
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 09:17:57 am »
Quote from: death
When i start google maps and press the 'center' icon it goes straight to where i am at that moment on the map.

however when i press 'directions' and then 'start' it says: "waiting for location" and never really finds it.

in settings -> location
i have "location mode" at: high accuracy

could this be a hardware or software problem.. or both?

how to fix it because i used it a lot on my provious phone.
Maybe you should try to change it to "Unit only" (might have the wording wrong, mine is set up in Norwegian)? Might be something it is waiting for from the surrounding WiFi-signals (or cellular)??

And of course, it might be bad reception where you are at the moment?

Would also rather use a "proper" GPS-application, with offline maps, like HERE WeGo, than Google...

death

• View Profile
GPS not working
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 09:30:36 am »
if i put it to device only and open maps i get a message that i need to enable google location service. if i ignore this it centers to a location i was yesterday.

looks like the device comes without a build in GPS chip but the specs say it has GPS..

really confused now

gymbo

• View Profile
GPS not working
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 09:36:36 am »
if i put it to device only and open maps i get a message that i need to enable google location service. if i ignore this it centers to a location i was yesterday.

looks like the device comes without a build in GPS chip but the specs say it has GPS..

really confused now
Hmm, it definitely has a GPS, I've used it with HERE WeGo a few times already. So either you have a faulty unit, or something has crashed I think. Will a restart fix the issue?

death

• View Profile
GPS not working
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 09:50:44 am »
Quote from: gymbo

really confused now
Hmm, it definitely has a GPS, I've used it with HERE WeGo a few times already. So either you have a faulty unit, or something has crashed I think. Will a restart fix the issue?

installed a gps test app,
it says it sees 24 satelites but cant use any and has no fix

Pete G.

• View Profile
    • http://www.GoodeveCA.net
GPS not working
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 05:49:09 pm »

I have GPS set to "device only", and it does find my location.  It seems to have trouble getting a signal sometimes, though.  Just tried it at home indoors, and I had to go to the door and open it before I could get a blue dot.  It does suggest I use "Location Services" the first time, but I hit CANCEL and it doesn't bother me again.

OTOH. I can't seem to get 'directions' without Google Services.  I asked for directions to an in-town location, and it put the orange balloon on the correct place, but then hung trying to connect to Maps.

death

• View Profile
GPS not working
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 04:07:49 am »
Quote from: Pete G.

I have GPS set to "device only", and it does find my location.  It seems to have trouble getting a signal sometimes, though.  Just tried it at home indoors, and I had to go to the door and open it before I could get a blue dot.  It does suggest I use "Location Services" the first time, but I hit CANCEL and it doesn't bother me again.

OTOH. I can't seem to get 'directions' without Google Services.  I asked for directions to an in-town location, and it put the orange balloon on the correct place, but then hung trying to connect to Maps.

thats seems to be exactly what i'm experiencing.

anyone else have this problem?

my car navigation sucks and i rely heavilly on my phones navigation so i hope there is an easy fix for this...

Pete G.

• View Profile
    • http://www.GoodeveCA.net
GPS not working
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 04:40:14 pm »
Quote from: Pete G.

thats seems to be exactly what i'm experiencing.

anyone else have this problem?

Well, I dunno...   Just now I wanted some actual directions to a place in town, and this time (unlike the arbitrary test I made yesterday), it had no trouble in instantaneously generating a route for me!  It also knew where I was immediately, but as I'm in the same chair as yesterday maybe that isn't too surprising!

I'm not sure there actually is a problem, but if there is I suspect it's with Google Maps (and maybe with the current position of the GPS satellites) rather than the Gemini.  (I've never had any other GPS unit, so I can't compare.)

ADDENDUM:  Had some errands to run this afternoon, so I checked the Maps app in various places.  GPS seems to be just fine on my unit. Outside the local market, in the car (parked!) in an industrial area, it picked up my location immediately.  Without a WiFi link, though, directions don't work. It doesn't even seem to remember recent lookups.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 10:25:00 pm by Pete G. »

Dixit

• View Profile
GPS not working
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 04:44:00 am »
I actually get pop-ups by Goole, asking me to review places where I have been.
As I do not use mobile data it really looks like the GPS and Maps remember the coordinates where I have been.
Then, back at home, it seems to link those coordinates with known tourist hot spots and restaurants etc... and then pops up the review request.

Quite spooky. Even Orwell did not come up with the idea to let Big Brother use GPS. Winston was safe in the woods.

gidds

• View Profile
GPS not working
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 07:40:48 am »
AIUI, the standard Google Maps app needs internet access.  Could that be an issue?  (Especially if you can only get 3G from your network…)

Google also has an Offline Maps & Navigation app.  I downloaded the entire UK map (something like 800MB IIRC — insignificant in the Gemini's 64GB!), and used it to navigate perfectly with just device-only GPS.
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Ifanafi

• View Profile
GPS not working
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 12:09:29 pm »
Location. Location. Location.

Here in mid-Atlantic region of USA, never a problem with Maps (Google and Waze) detailed accuracey.

However, Offline Maps is very helpful in rural, out-of-the-way places; yes, there are man such places still in USA (like WV).

So, the Offline Maps app is installed and easily prepped when traveling to such not-fully or accurately mapped places.

Ifanafi

Quote from: gidds
AIUI, the standard Google Maps app needs internet access.  Could that be an issue?  (Especially if you can only get 3G from your network…)

Google also has an Offline Maps & Navigation app.  I downloaded the entire UK map (something like 800MB IIRC — insignificant in the Gemini's 64GB!), and used it to navigate perfectly with just device-only GPS.

death

• View Profile
GPS not working
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2018, 10:18:34 am »
i have an unlimited data plan so that cant be the problem...

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
GPS not working
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 03:55:25 am »
AIUI There are essentially three methods of getting location

1 - GPS (does Gemini also support GLONAS - my Samsung Phone does??)
2 - Network Location from GSM network it you have 4G Gemini obviously
3 - Network location from Wifi

GPS ONLY
If you just use GPS it needs to see the sky - GPS data comes from the satellite at approximately 45 baud - so from a cold start (no history) it can take a minute to locate you - longer if not a full view of the sky.  Once it locates you it continues to download the info on satellite orbits for the area you are in, thus if you turn on again within ~100 miles  it will get a quick fix.  Downloading at 45 baud can take 45 mins to get a full dataset for the next month or so.  - this is how traditional "stand alone" GPS work.   If you move hundreds of miles or don't use for a few months it's like a cold start again.  

The cheat to this is to use AGPS - the orbital data is downloaded via the internet - much faster!  

Put on a decent GPS app like GPSstatus if you want to see more - it will let you load/reset the AGPS
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...psim.gpsstatus2

NETWORK-GSM
Triangulation from the 4G cell towers - can range in accuracy from a few km to 50m needs 4G signal but no internat

NETWORK-WIFI.   Google has a database of WiFi mac address and location - it uses this and some cloud based algorithms to work out location.  The database come form the billions of android phones out there with a GPS and WiFi which are constantly sniffing for WiFi and location.    This is the "collect anonymous location data" warning you get when turning it on.

Google Location services combines all the above - e.g. using the WiFi to kick start the GPS with an approximate location,  I think it also uses the accelerometer and/or compass to dead recon small changes in location avoiding using GPS to save power.  

Corrections and clarifications welcome!