Author Topic: The path ahead for SFOS on Gemini?  (Read 5467 times)

depscribe

• View Profile
The path ahead for SFOS on Gemini?
« on: August 28, 2018, 11:33:13 am »
A couple of questions:

Apparently the reason Gemini won't take Sailfish OS as its primary boot is some bug. Is this likely to be fixed?

My guess is that it won't until the beta of Sailfish X is released, which according to the picture at the top of this page will be next month. (It is to be noted that, like Planet Computers, Jolla tends to be a little overly optimistic in its release estimates, but still.)

But what is the upgrade path? Will Planet Computers offer the upgrades, or must we navigate the Jolla Store? It's not a trivial question. I contacted Jolla about purchase of Sailfish from them -- it has features that the community edition doesn't -- in the U.S., where navigating to the Jolla Store throws a "not available in your country" error.

But it turns out that it's not available in most countries. Here's part of the response: "The only way at the moment is to have a friend in EU, Norway or Switzerland who could buy a license for you and then deliver it to you. You could ask around on Jolla Pioneer Fans on Facebook or together.jolla.com"

Many Gemini users, I'd guess, are not in the EU, Norway, or Switzerland.

I certainly hope that PC comes up with a way around this.
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 11:39:52 pm »
I think the boot thing may not be fixed. When 3 is available, I would expect it to be able to be installed as the only OS. The community port is really the same beast minus a few jolla specific things (like android apps, exchange etc). As far as actually getting sailfish 3, I am guessing you could use a VPN/proxy to appear as if you are in the EU (a trick used by Ozzies a lot), or maybe PC could be an intermediary and forward the license. Time will tell.

It would seem silly for PC/Jolla to go to the effort of getting sailfish customised for the gemini, then not selling to anybody as they were outside the EU.

rcolistete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 12:08:16 am »
Quote from: depscribe
I contacted Jolla about purchase of Sailfish from them -- it has features that the community edition doesn't -- in the U.S., where navigating to the Jolla Store throws a "not available in your country" error.

But it turns out that it's not available in most countries. Here's part of the response: "The only way at the moment is to have a friend in EU, Norway or Switzerland who could buy a license for you and then deliver it to you. You could ask around on Jolla Pioneer Fans on Facebook or together.jolla.com"

Many Gemini users, I'd guess, are not in the EU, Norway, or Switzerland.
To buy the Sailfish X, just use Opera browse,  which has a built in VPN (choose Europe).

Problably Sailfish 3 for Gemini will be the same.

depscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 03:59:27 pm »
Quote from: rcolistete
To buy the Sailfish X, just use Opera browse,  which has a built in VPN (choose Europe).

That's true; likewise, I was able to use a specialized browser to get there. But that misses one important point: if the OS is so limited in its distribution, what's the likelihood of it being around in the future, and for more applications to be developed for it. Yes, it can be made to run Googledroid applications. OS/2 was able to run Windows applications, and we know how that turned out.

Meanwhile, the community editions, for all their brilliance -- and there's a lot of brilliance there, mostly support devices that haven't been produced for years. Nor do I see a lot of interest, beyond Vader's efforts, in bringing applications to SFOS on Gemini.

It's worrisome.
dep

Atari Portfolio (yes, it still works and yes, I bought it new)
Libretto 110 CT (with docking station and all kinds of PCMCIA stuff)
And, now, a Gemini and, fortunately, a GPD Pocket

defunked

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:02:47 pm »
Quote from: rcolistete

I have a server in the Netherlands... I set up an SSH tunnel/Socks5 proxy from the USA, and still no luck with the jolla store. GeoIP searches indicate Socks proxy is working.  I am not sure why the Netherlands would not be a working location for store access.

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 01:51:48 am »
Why does Jolla restrict the sale of it so tightly?

Seems pretty strange to put it mildly.

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

vader

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 07:11:17 pm »
Quote from: ArchiMark

It could be an EU thing - can't remember if Jolla got funds from the EU. They are expanding into other markets (non EU countries), so maybe they can now do it. With all the publicity over the PC-jolla collaboration, I can't imaging they would exclude the majority of gemini sales. Maybe PC will do the sales/distribution.

We should find out soon (well in the next few months) - when OS3 is released.

Here's hoping!

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 08:57:12 pm »
Quote from: vader

It could be an EU thing - can't remember if Jolla got funds from the EU. They are expanding into other markets (non EU countries), so maybe they can now do it. With all the publicity over the PC-jolla collaboration, I can't imaging they would exclude the majority of gemini sales. Maybe PC will do the sales/distribution.

Here's hoping!

Thanks for the possible explanation.....

We shall see what happens....
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

arisel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 05:45:03 am »
Quote from: vader

Here's hoping!

Thanks for the possible explanation.....

We shall see what happens....

It might also be due to their licensing of aliendalvik or the maps application.
If it's like that, they'd need to be sure that the US user base will be big enough for them to return the costs.

defunked

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 02:59:58 pm »
Good news: My web proxy in the Netherlands now allows me to access the Jolla shop from the USA!
Unfortunately, no sign yet of the beta version of sailfish for the Gemini.

Kishe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 03:52:38 pm »
Frankly speaking, jolla cant land to usa because they dont have the cash to fight off the endless hordes of patent trolls. That was their answer (in a more politically correct manner) when they were releasing their jolla phone.

yoram

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2018, 05:30:21 pm »
Quote from: Kishe
Frankly speaking, jolla cant land to usa because they dont have the cash to fight off the endless hordes of patent trolls. That was their answer (in a more politically correct manner) when they were releasing their jolla phone.

all you need to do with most patent trolls is just to ask them to sue. most of them will never contact you again.