Author Topic: Curved Hinge  (Read 4329 times)

Ifanafi

• View Profile
Curved Hinge
« on: August 30, 2018, 11:52:04 am »
My Gem's curved hinge is slowly loosing its strength.
Its once rather upright angle is widening.
The top, screen panel is weakening because of one's many, yet, softest of touch-screen taps / touches.
Touching the screen will most probably, increasingly and eventually widen the hinge's curved shape, and the top panel will almost lay back flat.

And so I wonder if anyone has removed the hinge (seems doable) and squeezed it back into its original shape?

That asked, I suspect that effort will work but only temporarily as flexed metal actually becomes weaker.

Please advise with your thoughts and....

Ifanafi

P.S. ATTENTION Planet: Might the hinge be sold as a replacement part when the above happens, as it most likely will in time?

-----------------------------------

UPDATE: Planet emailed today (31st of August) saying the hinge can be removed using the removal tool AND squeezed gently back into shape, as it were (but cautioned not too much that getting it back on the device becomes difficult or impossible). And they added that if the hinge loses it hold, in time, they will ship me / whomever a new hinge (free) under the Gemini's ONE YEAR WARRANTY (from date one received their Gemini).

That is good and welcomed custom support!

Thanks Planet.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 12:15:56 pm by Ifanafi »

jakfish

• View Profile
Curved Hinge
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 05:18:40 pm »

jakfish

• View Profile
Curved Hinge
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 11:25:13 am »
Upon further brooding, I noticed a certain bounce to my screen as well. I don't believe it was as pronounced as others', but it was there and, anecdotally, it seemed to worsen the longer the machine was open (perhaps the hinge continues to stress when fully extended).

I took a piece of 16-gauge insulated wire, cut it to the length of the Gemini hinge and laid it in the groove of the hinge on the machine's bottom. I took an equal length of electrical tape and secured the wire in place.

The effect is to distribute the weight of the screen between the taped wire and the hinge (rather than the hinge bearing all the weight itself) when the device is resting on a surface.

I've only done this a couple of minutes ago, but so far, I have no more screen bounce, no matter how fast I type and no matter which keys I use (I generated more screen bounce using the keys closest to the screen).

It looks pretty ratchet, but my real concern is: will this workaround persevere after taking it in out of my front pocket  20 times a day?

Jake

EDIT (Sept 3): my initial use of 16-guage wire and electrical tape could not withstand the travels in a front pants pocket. I'm now using a length of wire clipped from a coat hanger to rest in the hinge's groove, secured by black duct tape. So far, it bears up very well and provides remarkable stability, no screen bounce at all.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:50:02 am by jakfish »

Ifanafi

• View Profile
Curved Hinge
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 12:27:18 pm »
Quote from: jakfish
You might look at this workaround:

https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=35377

-------------------------

Brilliant (first post by kiko88) 'workaround' that is easily done and resolves (for now) the springy, wobbly screen panel.

Thanks for the link!

Ifanafi

-------------------------

jakfish

• View Profile
Curved Hinge
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 01:31:30 pm »
@Ifanafi--you bet, but, dude, you posted in that link  

I do the same thing, only on a grander scale. I will google a Linux problem, find the problem, find the solution, then find that the solution was posted by me. And I have no recollection of any of it.

Jake
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 01:40:31 pm by jakfish »

Dixit

• View Profile
Curved Hinge
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 09:03:34 am »
Quote from: jakfish
@Ifanafi--you bet, but, dude, you posted in that link  

I do the same thing, only on a grander scale. I will google a Linux problem, find the problem, find the solution, then find that the solution was posted by me. And I have no recollection of any of it.

Jake

Wow, that dude knows something ! The smartest in the pack ! I fully agree !
Oh wait... it was me... two years ago...
(He, he, you're not the only one)

• View Profile
Curved Hinge
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 06:10:53 am »
Tried that  mine just keeps popping off. It has now gotten to the point that the metal pins for the screen have broken the plastic that held them in place due to the plastic not being able to handle the weight. So make sure you leave that metal hinge on your Gemini or yours will become like mine. https://imgur.com/a/WoB6I8F