Author Topic: KDE Plasma  (Read 2676 times)

jornada720

• View Profile
KDE Plasma
« on: December 11, 2018, 10:08:12 am »
I pretty much gave up using Linux on my Gemini since I now use it as a primary device and need apps like OneNote and aCalendar and synchronization with my Samsung watch.

Has anyone tried KDE on it lately? Last time I used it, most of the keys didn't work properly.

If thing have improved, I might reflash and try again.

jornada720

• View Profile
KDE Plasma
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 10:49:10 pm »
Quote from: jornada720
I pretty much gave up using Linux on my Gemini since I now use it as a primary device and need apps like OneNote and aCalendar and synchronization with my Samsung watch.

Has anyone tried KDE on it lately? Last time I used it, most of the keys didn't work properly.

If thing have improved, I might reflash and try again.
Kind of sad that this thread has almost 200 views but no progress to report.

KDE, GNOME, and XFCE are so much better tham LxQT. Am I the only one who misses them?

Will Atl

• View Profile
KDE Plasma
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 02:06:18 pm »
Hi, mine is 1 of those views. I would like to help and I know how to develop for mobile but I am not a Linux expert. I can help and support if somebody knowledgeable leads.

The problem with the Gemini (and even more so probably in the future with the Cosmo) is that the number of backers is so small (7000), out of which the proportion of Linux developers is unknown but probably small.  Even worse when focussing on a specific flavor for sure.

If you or anybody else wants to lead I can support and contribute.

BTW, I am new to these forums. In fact my Gemini is still in transit from Europe to the U. These couple of weeks I have detected that these forums have lots of views but few posts / contributions. I agree with you. Most posts are from few very active individuals. The rest seem content to read and stay up to date. My 2 cents.

TheKit

• View Profile
KDE Plasma
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 04:28:40 pm »
Quote from: jornada720
Kind of sad that this thread has almost 200 views but no progress to report.

KDE, GNOME, and XFCE are so much better tham LxQT. Am I the only one who misses them?
Let me quote the posts about the issue from another topic:

Quote from: Adam Boardman
Quote from: frnzndr
Could it be that the version of i3 supplied via Debian stretch is simply too old?
I'd suggest that as unlikely, the whole linuxy key grabbing stuff is all based upon grabbing named keys as whole keys. Cite for example original LXQT and current KDE's/Gnome key grabbers eat 'r' keys as 'Print' on the UK keyboard, so you just have to disable the short-cut's or fix the code.

Quote from: frnzndr
How does the standard window manager use them?
Had be fixed with some changes to make it work with keys that do both letters and 'named functions', from commit messages:
https://github.com/gemian/lxqt-globalkeys/c...4b3c775ed18631f
and:
https://github.com/gemian/lxqt-globalkeys/c...d9b26447a1baa34

But its a while ago that I made those changes not certain that there aren't other tweaks in the other commits that might also be important.
For KDE, that code needs to be adapted for kglobalaccel, probably with an issue raised upstream to discuss this. Will Atl is correct about amount of people working on Linux for Gemini being very small, so contributions welcome .

I have started building packages against Ubuntu bionic base, so KDE Neon could be used later, but the issue with key grabber needs to be handled anyway.