Author Topic: Android 8.1 for the Gemini to be available later this week  (Read 31025 times)

rodgos

• View Profile
Android 8.1 for the Gemini to be available later this week
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 02:43:01 pm »
Well, the latest deadline has 'whooshed' by and nothing seems to have happened. Has anyone seen this rare beast, in the field?

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 01:37:14 pm »
Quote from: graynada
True but PC have also directly said in the same update page 'by the end of the year' meaning last year, and most recently, 5 weeks ago, within 2 weeks, so hence the humorous question ????????
Seems you have a good intuition  ... I just came across this announcement of 1 week delay:

[!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=facebook)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(facebook)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]UPDATE: A few Gemini users have now received the Android 8.1 update following the planned limited release on Monday (29th April). The initial feedback is positive but with Chinese Labor celebrations (1st -4th May) this week meaning staff are not at work, the full release of Oreo – to ALL Gemini 4G backers – will take place next Monday morning.

We know you have all waited patiently for this update and that is why we have been determined to make it a success. We are so grateful for the support of the Gemini community.[/quote]
http://www.facebook.com/planetcom/posts/1277411299079065
Gemini PDA x27

DJO

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 01:45:37 pm »
Quote from: gemini_user_j
the full release of Oreo – to ALL Gemini 4G backers – will take place next Monday morning.

I'll believe that when it happens, Monday (6th May) is a bank holiday in the UK.

rodgos

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 09:09:51 pm »
Ah, then I'll stop wearing out the hinges on my Gemini, opening it up to check whether the boat has come in, or not.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 05:14:45 am »
Oreo is finally here! Me and a couple of guys on the Telegram #Gemini PDA channel are now downloading it. To check for the update, go to Settings / About Phone / Firmware update, and remember you have to use a Wifi connection to download it.

UPDATE: the download is now stuck at ~390MB, maybe the server is overloaded due to too many requests.

Varti
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 05:26:24 am by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

rodgos

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 05:37:57 am »
Well, I'm pleased that I'm not the only one!. My update has got to 359.36MB and the progress bar title changed to PauseDownload. And there it's stuck for the past fifteen minutes. What does one do now? It's usually accorded a no-no to stop an update in progress.

Ah, a change. The screen has gone black, and the machine appears to have turned itself off. The only sign of life appears to be the red led light in the lid. I do wish that updates came with just a little more information.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 05:50:52 am by rodgos »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 05:54:26 am »
I'm still stuck at "PauseDownload", I'm now trying to reboot again, fingers crossed...

EDIT: Someone on Facebook has suggested (at your own risk!) to delete the Firmware Update app's cache to trigger again the download. I have tried it, but now the download is stuck at 69MB, anyway if anyone would like to try it too: go to Settings > Apps > dots menu (top right) Show System > find Firmware Update > Storage > Clear Data.

Varti
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 08:31:09 am by Varti »
and many other Zauruses!

inspectorman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 07:06:21 am »
Quote from: Varti
I'm still stuck at "PauseDownload", I'm now trying to reboot again, fingers crossed...

EDIT: Someone on the Facebook has suggested (at your own risk!) to delete the Firmware Update app's cache to trigger again the download. I have tried it, but now the download is stuck at 69MB, anyway if anyone would like to try it too: go to Settings > Apps > dots menu (top right) Show System > find Firmware Update > Storage > Clear Data.

First attempt ground to a halt after 350 or so MB. No change for an hour. Rebooted and followed this idea. Storage stated only 475KB but cleared it anyway. Off we went again with the download - now stopped at 69MB. Sigh.

inspectorman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 07:14:38 am »
145MB this time before it stopped. "Connect to the server is unusual. Please test again."

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2019, 07:24:46 am »
(Hi inspectorman and welcome!)

Same here, after some further attempts, the download now doesn't even start anymore  

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

bloblo

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 07:26:29 am »
Aww, that sounds annoying. Hope they figure it out soon, whatever issue the server has!

Anyone knows when the partitioner image will be updated for us rooted guys?

rodgos

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 09:16:29 am »
Lol. And I thought that Apple were the only people who could brick their own product with an update!

Beiriannydd

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 10:35:09 am »
I think that there will be a lot of unhappy folk. The OTA Update only works for non-rooted, all partition Android. I am amazed that they’re are enough of those to cause server issues - unless everyone repartitioned to stock to update to Oreo as I did?

Beiriannydd

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2019, 10:44:14 am »
My advice to Davide would be to upload the file to S3 and put it behind Cloudfront CDN. This isn’t the sort of thing you want to serve from a computer under a desk.

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 01:09:07 pm »
Can anyone post instructions on how to update if we did repartition and use multiboot/root? I'm not seeing any updated firmware files via the official partition tool or support.planetcom.co.uk.