Author Topic: Missing apps' names on the home screen under Oreo  (Read 4084 times)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Missing apps' names on the home screen under Oreo
« on: May 07, 2019, 08:17:31 am »
Now that I have updated to Oreo, the names of the apps in the home screen have disappeared, only their icons are shown. Since I can't recognize some of the apps solely by their icons, does anybody know how to put back all the apps' names under their relative icons?

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 11:23:31 am »
Have you tried removing a shortcut from your home screen (hold, and drag to the 'X'), and then re-adding it (swipe up from the bottom to show the apps list, hold, and drag into position)?

If that fails, I don't know what to suggest.

(In desperation, I managed to rename a shortcut by editing Launcher3's .sqlite file, but that's for experts only, very fiddly, and may need root access.  The latter explains why I can't test it myself: I have rooted Android, and so won't be able to try the update until the new rooted firmware is made available for download.)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 03:51:22 am »
Quote from: gidds
Have you tried removing a shortcut from your home screen (hold, and drag to the 'X'), and then re-adding it (swipe up from the bottom to show the apps list, hold, and drag into position)?

If that fails, I don't know what to suggest.

(In desperation, I managed to rename a shortcut by editing Launcher3's .sqlite file, but that's for experts only, very fiddly, and may need root access.  The latter explains why I can't test it myself: I have rooted Android, and so won't be able to try the update until the new rooted firmware is made available for download.)

Considering the icon names are missing also in the official screenshots from Planet Computers it is likely that this is caused by a setting in the launcher.It does not bother me at all to be honest...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 03:51:55 am by greguu »
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

Mithren Ithil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 04:02:57 am »
Quote from: Varti
Now that I have updated to Oreo, the names of the apps in the home screen have disappeared, only their icons are shown. Since I can't recognize some of the apps solely by their icons, does anybody know how to put back all the apps' names under their relative icons?

Varti

I'm using T-UI so I can't see my icons, but Keepass2Android wasn't available as an app when I typed it in the cli.  It was still installed and I could run it from the Play Store.  I had to reboot and it then was available.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 11:10:33 am »
@gidds:
I have tried to remove a link and to re-add it as you suggested, to no avail unfortunately, thanks anyway for the suggestion.

@greguu:
I didn't notice that on Planet's screenshots, thanks for the tip. I was sure the icon labels were present the first time I booted into Oreo, and then they permanently disappeared after a first reboot, but now I believe this wasn't the case. I really miss them, since for some of the icons on my home screen I don't remember which app they are supposed to be. I'll see if I can find the option to re-enable them again; I have found online some references to a "Hide icon labels" setting in the Home Screen settings page, though this item is missing on my Gemini, this might be available only on newer Android revisions.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Steve Goodey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 04:58:08 am »

Varti

This change is a bit of a pain. Couldn't Google have left this as an option? I found some mentions of apps on the Play Store that could add the labels back but I couldn't get them to work.

Would changing to another launcher rectify this I wonder?

Steve

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 08:03:58 am »
Quote from: Steve Goodey

Varti

This change is a bit of a pain. Couldn't Google have left this as an option? I found some mentions of apps on the Play Store that could add the labels back but I couldn't get them to work.

Steve
I use Nova and don't have this problem. I've seen others mentioning that they use different launchers, and don't have the problem either. I ASSUME it will "put them back" as well (the information is probably there...), but can't say for sure.

Steve Goodey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 08:29:53 am »

Varti

Steve

I think I owe Google an apology. I've just noticed the labels are there in portrait mode, not landscape. So could this be a Gemini Oreo bug?

Steve.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 10:53:12 am »
I think I owe Google an apology. I've just noticed the labels are there in portrait mode, not landscape. So could this be a Gemini Oreo bug?
Good find! I have checked and I can confirm it; this seems to be a feature, rather than a bug:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2/he...e-mode-t3695588

(The Pixel 2 smartphone was shipped with Oreo). I guess the easiest way to fix this is to install an alternative launcher, as already suggested in this thread.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 11:56:13 am »
I've just noticed the labels are there in portrait mode, not landscape. So could this be a Gemini Oreo bug?
My plan of holding off the update for a couple of weeks, until the major bugs have been identified and hopefully fixed or worked around, seems to be justified…
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

Steve Goodey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 12:20:04 pm »
Good find! I have checked and I can confirm it; this seems to be a feature, rather than a bug:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2/he...e-mode-t3695588

(The Pixel 2 smartphone was shipped with Oreo). I guess the easiest way to fix this is to install an alternative launcher, as already suggested in this thread.

Varti

Thanks Varti, so I was right to blame google!

Is there anything I should be aware of installing the Nova launcher does anyone know?

Steve

Steve Goodey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 10:35:41 pm »
Quite impressed with Nova Launcher. Gives me back the home screen icon labels in landscape mode and the option of removing the google search bar at the top of the first home screen.

Might even buy the pro version as a thank you.

Steve.