Author Topic: Welcome to those from the Indiegogo forum  (Read 11376 times)

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Welcome to those from the Indiegogo forum
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2019, 10:40:17 am »
Quote from: drpeter
Quote from: Pikku-iikka
Latest update from PC indicates that all Cosmos will have the original spec 'Space Grey' panels.  This is a slight disappointment to those who liked the look of the 'Prototype Metallic Blue' seen in recent updates.

Andrew over on the IndieGogo forum has apparently successfully pimped his Gemini with the type of durable vinyl adhesive wrap used on cars.

Anyone else had experience of this, or similar?
For me it is good news hearing of the panel color. Do not like the blue variant. But it is not that difficult to change the panel colours to what ever you prefer. You need either some painting experience (preferably from modelling) or could even do the job with vinyl adhesives. I think the job would be something like decorating a part of a car etc, which I have done a few times. Laying down letters etc. You do not have to buy a whole roll for the job, just take exact measures and order the actual sheets on-line. Best to look for a company that is reliable and uses class products (not the cheapest maybe). Sorry, can not help you with companies, because I live in a different part of the world, but even in this distant and quiet environment there are several entrepreneurs offering their help.

Before measuring, I would be waiting the Cosmo of course to be sure if class A decorating would need separating some parts of it...

Thanks. I'll definitely be taking a good look at the actual grey finish close-up before even thinking about doing anything different.  I suspect I'll end up keeping it as-is.  I doubt any kind of paint would stand up to the friction and humidity of regular pocket wear, hence my vague interest in the possible vinyl solution...

Have a feeling everyone will forget about the color issue once they have their lil' Cosmo in their hands and are mesmerized by the external display......

So, don't forget to open up the clamshell and have fun with it that way too!

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

Jeffers

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2019, 10:01:59 am »
Andrew over on the IndieGogo forum has apparently successfully pimped his Gemini with the type of durable vinyl adhesive wrap used on cars.

I thought I'd follow up with some actual photos. These are doing really well after a little over a year. The corners have tiny bits missing but otherwise still great.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

drpeter

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2019, 10:49:56 pm »
Quote from: Jeffers

I thought I'd follow up with some actual photos. These are doing really well after a little over a year. The corners have tiny bits missing but otherwise still great.

A very nice job.

DJO

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2019, 12:36:43 pm »
A very nice job.

I wondered about the hinge section with the rubber strip, didn't consider leaving it grey - neat.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:37:25 pm by DJO »

sbsshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2019, 05:58:18 am »
Quote from: Jeffers

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

OMG, that looks amazing, how easy was it to do it on the bottom panel ?

Im tempted to do this with mine, but maybe no point if we are getting to COSMO soon lol

plutopants

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2019, 03:49:33 pm »
Ooh, I'm reminded a little of the Netbook which had a vinyl outer skin.

Think it looks great!

I may try pimping old Gem once new 'Mo has settled in.
I actually have some bookbinder's leather I might try out.
Still holding faith in my Planet Gemini and Cosmo, in the memory of dear old Psion.

Jeffers

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2019, 12:22:41 am »
Quote from: sbsshadow
OMG, that looks amazing, how easy was it to do it on the bottom panel ?

The bottom one was fairly easy. The top one was more of a pain though because I did that first. I think I took about 5 attempts to get the shape cut exactly to size and then lined up properly. Apparently if you use a hair drier and heat the stuff up it makes it easier to apply, but I didn't know that at the time.