Author Topic: While we're waiting...  (Read 3922 times)

Daniel W

• View Profile
While we're waiting...
« on: July 13, 2019, 04:37:42 pm »
With Update #20 out and, including today, 19 days left of July 2019, perhaps it's time to start guessing when:
A: The first user Cosmo production run will start.
B: The first user Cosmos leaves the factory.
C: The first user posts on OESF that they have received their Cosmo(s).
D: Most users who backed their Cosmos during the crowdfunding month have received their units.

A: As consumer electronics certification must be fairly streamlined, testing only HAS to find issues that cannot be fixed via software updates, and they're currently waiting for more of the material they've already got for PR1,
Correct answer: Tuesday, September 3 (so my guess was off by 36 days).

B: For the Gemini, the first user mass production commenced around Saturday, January 20, 2018 (Update #44). Three weeks later, on Saturday February 10, it was complete (Update #48). I seem to recall it took longer before units actually were shipped from the factory, but as I hope things will be a bit smoother this time,
Correct answer: Friday, October 11 (so my guess was off by 53 days).

C: The [a href=\'index.php?showtopic=34795\']earliest post[/a] here from a user who received their Gemini, says it arrived on Thursday, March 1, 2018, which is close to six weeks after the first production run was complete, but as I think that was due to some shipment issues,
Correct answer: Friday, November 8 (so my guess was off by 60 days).

D: I got my Gemini three weeks later, on Wednesday, March 21, 2018. While I had to wait a bit, as, apparently they assembled "other" keyboard layouts (such as Swedish) last, I wasn't the last early funder to get mine, but, again, as I hope things will be a tad quicker this time,
Correct answer: Thursday, January 23 (so my guess was off by 115 days).

There. Yes, I've simply guessed "three more weeks" each time, as I think it's more or less reasonable. Naturally, I HOPE things will be faster, but, well, shipping stuff from China isn't typically fast. Now, it's you turn to guess, should you want to. Then we can compare, both to the mass production schedule we're supposed to get "soon", and, later, to actual reality.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:33:25 pm by Daniel W »

Daniel W

• View Profile
While we're waiting...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 10:35:32 am »
[I'll use this post as an event log and add the correct answers above, to keep things together]

[Edit: Monday, July 29] Well, with Update #21 out, the first user Cosmo production run is now scheduled for "the last week of August", which would suggest A: Monday, August 26
So, for now, it seems my first guess was four weeks off. It remains to be seen if B, C and D thereby has also slid that much, in which case we're looking at deliveries in October.

[Edit: Monday, August 26] In this video: https://vimeo.com/354310879, posted on Friday, August 16,  Dr. Janko says, at around 1:11, "Stay put, we're going into production... probably the week after next week", which would be this week. Standing by...

[Edit: Wednesday, September 4] Update #24 says PCB production "started this week". When it arrived yesterday, local time at the factory was around 17:48 (UTC+08), which would suggest A: Tuesday, September 3

[Edit: Sunday, October 13] Update #29 says "The first Cosmos arrived at our warehouse in Hong Kong on Friday and have now been shipped to backers", which would suggest B: Friday, October 11
All units in the first shipping batch seems to have the Japanese PCB version, to be followed, first by units with the international version, and then by units with the Verizon PCB version.

[Edit: Wednesday, October 16] Today, Varti posted here on OESF that GeminiPlanet posted a Twitter link about the first Japanese backers receiving their Cosmos today, and while that means real Cosmo units are now in the hands of actual users, I asked, perhaps without really thinking, when someone would post here about their own unit, so I am going to note that the first users got their Cosmos on Wednesday, October 16, 2019, and then I'll keep waiting for someone to post here about their own Cosmo. Sorry for any confusion.

[Edit: Tuesday, November 5] While no OESF user has said they've received a Cosmo yet, today, users [a href=\'index.php?act=findpost&pid=292771\']SNi[/a] and [a href=\'index.php?act=findpost&pid=292773\']donc[/a] reports theirs to be "Locked" for delivery. User [a href=\'index.php?act=findpost&pid=292770\']szopin[/a] quotes Alan Wise in Canada who reports (on IGG) that his is also locked, and, after that, a few more IGG users has reported that theirs are too (mine is still isn't). According to Update#30, "Cosmo perks have 24 different keyboard layouts, 3 different PCB options and 4 different power charger options", which is likely why the Contribution ID doesn't seem to matter.

[Edit: Friday, November 8] [a href=\'index.php?act=findpost&pid=292790\']Today user SNi received his Cosmo[/a], so C: Friday, November 8

[Edit: Wednesday, November 13] Update #30 "expects all Cosmo perks to be produced by the 12th of November - to complete the full 4000 Cosmo unit production". Well, that was yesterday (at the time of writing this, in Shenzhen, it's even past midnight to Thursday, November 14) and at least my own "early-bird" Cosmo contribution, remains unlocked, so though all units should be produced by now, perhaps they're not boxed yet, or maybe the IGG contribution status is lagging.

[Edit: Thursday, January 23] When the above date came and went without really meaning anything, I kind of lost interest in tracking things. My contribution was eventually locked, on Christmas day and arrived today. While I know of backers still waiting, D was about "most users", to avoid getting hung up by extreme cases. As I asked for a fairly uncommon keyboard layout, I am, for the purpose of this thread, going to use myself as the definition of "most users". That said, my thoughts are with those still waiting.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 02:40:54 pm by Daniel W »

maki.jouni

• View Profile
While we're waiting...
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 03:01:08 pm »
Quote from: Daniel W
I'll use this post as an event log and add the correct answers above, to keep things together, and maybe to look a bit less like a lone crazy guy talking to himself...

I find myself occasionally here checking what was these A, B, C and D. And is there some info from some 3rd party sites or IndieGoGo updates that fill something on our questionmarks. I think that B is confirmed now
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 03:02:42 pm by maki.jouni »
Cosmo Communicator (Fin/Swe), Mix2, Sony Xperia XZ & Z3, Nokia N900, Nokia PARSA, HTC Touch Pro, Qtek 9100, Nokia 6600 & 6210 & 2110, Mobira Talkman

Daniel W

• View Profile
While we're waiting...
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 11:27:12 am »
Quote from: maki.jouni
I think that B is confirmed now
Welcome to this particular little corner of OESF. Yes, indeed B is confirmed, I've updated the above posts accordingly now.