Author Topic: Pretty full-featured BASIC interpreter for Android and other programming languages  (Read 6044 times)

KF6GPE

• View Profile
This looks pretty cute.

RFO BASIC runs with an editor right on the device, and has a lot of hooks into the Android runtime stuff for things like networking, sound, and graphics. It's a semi-structured version of the language, it looks like.

My BASIC days are largely over, although I may dig out my 101 BASIC Computer Games book (or however many there were) out of the attic and port some over.

What other programming languages (besides what you find in termux!) have people come across that they like?

rubus-3.142

• View Profile
Python is available via Qpython3 (as well as within Termux I think)  includes a limited IDE with syntax highlihgting.  Does nto include many of the libraries like numpy scipi etc but good for a bit of fun

Pete G.

• View Profile
    • http://www.GoodeveCA.net
I just installed python, ruby, and perl in termux.  So far that's handled all my convenience scripts from my other machines (with a few needed path adjustments).  I even installed clang so that I could compile a C++ utility of mine that I use a lot!  Reasonably happy so far.

gidds

• View Profile
Other than bash and C, which Termux provides, the main languages I'd like to see are Kotlin and Java.

Given that those are the two official Android programming languages, I still find it bizarre that they're not available on the device itself...
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

shinkamui

• View Profile
Quote from: gidds
Other than bash and C, which Termux provides, the main languages I'd like to see are Kotlin and Java.

Given that those are the two official Android programming languages, I still find it bizarre that they're not available on the device itself...

I've put several hundred onboard hours of coding time in thanks to Aide and C4Droid (since 2010ish, authors are STILL active on both!).  With root, they're an excellent combo of onboard development compiler/ide combos, with support for pretty much everything you need for building android apps, or just writing native code and building arm binaries on the fly...

Aide has full android sdk/ndk support, and can compile full publishable APKs on device.  There's even an plugin for layout editing, and a full on tutorial for new devs.
C4Droid is an ARM C compiler, with several plugins including GCC, SDL, and more, that allows native onboard C/C++ development.  Its quite extensible, and depending on how low level you want to get, a steal for the price.  I used to use this to write and test exploits on the fly in another life.   The C4Droid dev also has a full Pascal IDE and compiler called PascalGUI if you're really into classic dead languages!   I long abandoned Pascal for C in the early 90s (with a very brief delphi stint), so never bothered to look at it, but the OP wanted other languages, so I figured I'd throw it in as a bonus.

Two of the first apps I installled on the Gemini.  Right off the bat, the function key mapping for some of the more common symbols is going to take some getting used to.

Aide:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aide.ui

C4Droid:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...m.n0n3m4.droidc
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...0n3m4.gcc4droid    *gcc plugin*
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:26:00 pm by shinkamui »

KF6GPE

• View Profile
Oooh! I will definitely have to check out Aide. That sounds really cool! Thanks.

Dixit

• View Profile
Come on Planet. We should have OPL on the Gemini !

Eldkatten

• View Profile
Hello,

(...)Given that those are the two official Android programming languages, I still find it bizarre that they're not available on the device itself...(...)
Since Assembler, C and C++ (and Pascal/Delphi) are the official DOS/Windows programming languages, you get a fully equipped SDK and IDE an every PC shipped? I find those expectations a bit bizarre.
I suggest to take down expectations some notches. Free WLan everywhere, free power to charge gadget everywhere, free software development kits on every gadget... What's next?

No offence. Kind regards

petefoth

• View Profile
Quote from: KF6GPE
Oooh! I will definitely have to check out Aide. That sounds really cool! Thanks.

I just did and it includes
- Git integration with Commit/Dicard/Push/Pull/Branch/Merge and SSH support.

Charlie Stross

• View Profile
This isn't to all tastes, but:

1. Install Termux

2. pkg install tmux git nvim

3. Then go grab SpaceVim:

[img]https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/13142418/37595020-273b5bca-2bb2-11e8-8aba-638ed5f1c7ea.png\" border=\"0\" class=\"linked-image\" /]

Voila: vim-based macro-driven multi-language IDE with git integration!

(Personally I find spacevim a bit much; I learned on old-school SysV vi, so I'm running on nvim and some hacked-up syntax colourizing for markdown in tmux — I'm not programming so much as writing copious text. But hey, if I want to roll up a perl script for old time's sake it's <em>all</em> there, and with clang and make installed I can add perl modules that include XS extensions as well.)

Daniel W

• View Profile
...I'd like to see are Kotlin and Java. Given that those are the two official Android programming languages, I still find it bizarre that they're not available on the device itself...
Quote from: Eldkatten
Since Assembler, C and C++ (and Pascal/Delphi) are the official DOS/Windows programming languages, you get a fully equipped SDK and IDE an every PC shipped? I find those expectations a bit bizarre.
No offence. Kind regards
Okay, sorry... yes, this is an OLD thread. I just could not not say anything. No offense was taken or is intended. I think, however, that expecting a free IDE and SDK with every computer is far from bizarre.

DOS used to come with GW-Basic and, later, QBasic, so yep, we used to get a free SDK and IDE with every DOS PC. Nowadays, while Microsoft does not force its free Visual Studio Community Edition upon Windows users, I get a fully equipped SDK and IDE with every Windows PC, should I want to, supporting the languages Windows 10 is built with, and more. Linux tends to have free developer tools, included or as packages to download, so yes, I get a fully equipped SDK and IDE with every Linux PC, supporting the languages Linux is built with, and more. Apple developed, and offers for free, the language Swift and the IDE Xcode. Not sure if/what they may offer for the other languages MacOS is built with. Still, I get a fully equipped SDK and IDE with every Mac, should I want to. Google offers, for free, Android Studio, supporting both Java and Kotlin. That IDE, however, only runs on Androids sibling Chrome OS, the devices for which has real keyboards, much like devices from Planet Computers...

...so, where's my free Gemini/Cosmo IDE? ;-) No... I don't really expect to get one anytime soon, not because getting a free IDE in itself would be uncommon, but because Planet Computers is a small company with more pressing issues on its few hands. Perhaps, though, they could cooperate with some project to port a suitable IDE from Linux? Yes, there is a small IDE selection on Google Play, though they seem to lack support for making even the simplest of GUIs. Pascal N-IDE and RFO Basic seems to support graphics, so one can sort-of draw a GUI it seems. For the latter, there appears to be add-ons that can generate code to draw a GUI, which is still quite some way away from drag-n-dropping "real" controls. No, I'm not complaining, just observing that I would probably find it frustrating. Hm... maybe I should try to run some Linux IDE in UserLAnd? And then run the compiled programs in UserLAnd too... Oh, well. Time to go to bed now.

graynada

• View Profile
Quote from: Daniel W
...so, where's my free Gemini/Cosmo IDE? ;-)

When I had my Gemini I did have Android Studio running inside UserLAnd on Android.  I didn't do much with it in that environment but seemed to run OK and I don't see why you couldn't do some app development in there.  I can't remember if I tried Eclipse or not but no reason to suspect it won't work either.  Hope this helps.

Charlie Stross

• View Profile
Quote from: Charlie Stross
This isn't to all tastes, but:

1. Install Termux

2. pkg install tmux git nvim

3. Then go grab SpaceVim:

SpaceVim is massive overkill on the Gemini, in my opinion and for what I need, but I kinda went overboard with nvim, vimplug, and a bunch of plugins for near-enough WYSIWYG markdown editing and casual perl support for the small amount of text munging I need.

In particular: I'd recommend installing vim-plug as a plugin manager; then adding in NERDTree (hierarchical file browser).

Then, from my init.vim, because I'm into writing lots of markdown, the following plugins, all off GitHub ...

Code: [Select]
Plug 'scrooloose/nerdtree'
Plug 'nelstrom/vim-markdown-folding'
Plug 'reedes/vim-pencil'
" Plug 'reedes/vim-litecorrect'
Plug 'vim-airline/vim-airline'
Plug 'vim-airline/vim-airline-themes'
Plug 'xolox/vim-misc'
Plug 'xolox/vim-session'
Plug 'https://github.com/edkolev/tmuxline.vim'

(vim-litecorrect is commented out because it slowed everything down unreasonably on the Gemini—it's a pure vimscript autocorrector for common typos.)

Eldkatten

• View Profile
Hello graynada,

thanks for the hint to UserLAnd. I tried Gimp, but it said "unable to open display". Also "Idle" seems to have problems with the display and doesn't run.
Anyway, could you perhaps direct me to some intsructions on how to get "Android Studio" into UserLAnd and how to run it?

Kind regrads
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 03:53:37 am by Eldkatten »

graynada

• View Profile
Quote from: Eldkatten
Hello graynada,

thanks for the hint to UserLAnd. I tried Gimp, but it said "unable to open display". Also "Idle" seems to have problems with the display and doesn't run.
Anyway, could you perhaps direct me to some intsructions on how to get "Android Studio" into UserLAnd and how to run it?

Kind regrads

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I did nothing more complicated than download the Linux zip from the Android Studio website and run it as per the instructions.  The trick I found to make things easy to navigate from the UserLAnd file system to the device and and SD card file system is to set up some bookmarks in the file manager to get to them.  This is because permissions deny access to some of the parent directories but you can access them if you know the file path.

If I get time later I will install UserLAnd on my latest device (Asus Zenfone 6 (which is fantastic BTW   )) and see if that jogs my memory more.

Hope this helps