Author Topic: Completely re flashing the Cosmo  (Read 299 times)

drbytes

• View Profile
Completely re flashing the Cosmo
« on: August 04, 2020, 08:04:36 am »
Say you do something stupid like flashing a boot.img for a samsung device using twrp to your boot partition and you now have a bootlooping cosmo that doesnt respond to anything, not even the recovery key sequence (ON+VOLUP) works and you are stuck at a blank and empty screen.

There is a way out. Connect your cosmo to your pc via the left port. If you are using windows you might hear something connect and disconnect. That is the mediatek flash interface.
Get SP Flash tool, find out what he most current is, I used SP_Flash_Tool_v5.2028_Win from https://spflashtools.com/windows/sp-flash-tool-v5-2028. You might also need the Mediatek Drivers, I used Mediatek_Driver_Auto_Installer_v1.1352 from https://androiddatahost.com/276a2.
Next you need to get the PC official firmware, I got mine from support.planetcom.co.uk/download/cosmo-android-v23.zip, extract this zip.

Last but not least, you need a scatter file so SP Flash knows where to write stuff to, I used MT6771_Android_scatter__cosmo_full_stock, shared on this forum by ZimbiX, I'm including it here but he's the one to credit for this.

Now run the SP Flash tool as administrator and connect your cosmo, go to Download, select the scatter-loading File by ZimbiX, make sure the dropdown says you are in "Download Only".
Next you need to match the files of the zip file with the info loaded by the scatter file, see the attached screenshot to get an idea how that looks.
Hit download and wait. When it's all done, disconnect the cosmo and press ON. You've lost everything but you're left with a functional device.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Completely re flashing the Cosmo
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 08:23:07 am »
Thanks for sharing this!

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!