Author Topic: VoIP / SIP missing?  (Read 2055 times)

NormMonkey

• View Profile
VoIP / SIP missing?
« on: November 26, 2019, 01:29:31 pm »
Android should have built-in SIP support, but I cannot find it.
* Normally you'd go to the "Phone" dialer and then Settings : Calling Accounts and there should be an option to create SIP accounts here, but all I see is my SIM carrier account.  No option to add SIP account.
* I looked around and couldn't find any place to add a SIP account.

I was also unable to find VoLTE options either.
Does anyone have SIP (using native Android as opposed to 3rd party app like Zoiper) or VoLTE working on their Cosmo?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 03:50:06 pm by NormMonkey »

iJacks

• View Profile
VoIP / SIP missing?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 05:13:46 pm »
Quote from: NormMonkey
Android should have built-in SIP support, but I cannot find it.
* Normally you'd go to the "Phone" dialer and then Settings : Calling Accounts and there should be an option to create SIP accounts here, but all I see is my SIM carrier account.  No option to add SIP account.
* I looked around and couldn't find any place to add a SIP account.

I was also unable to find VoLTE options either.
Does anyone have SIP (using native Android as opposed to 3rd party app like Zoiper) or VoLTE working on their Cosmo?

Alas, Planet have disabled it in the build they are using.  Not sure if this is a Google requirement though, most phones I have used do not have it enabled (except Pixels).

VoLTE settings are enable with Settings / Mobile network / Advanced / Enhanced 4G LTE Mode.  if your network allows VoLTE is should just work.  Heck, even 3 just worked with VoWiFi (Dialer / Settings / Calling accounts / [network] / WiFi Calling)!

NormMonkey

• View Profile
VoIP / SIP missing?
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 09:33:28 am »
Thanks iJacks.
Android has had native SIP support for a long time (since 5 or 6?).  Google's instructions (https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/2811843?hl=en) say it should be there.
Dunno why PlanetC would disable it.  I can understand carriers disabling it, but I don't see why PC would.

As for VoLTE, it doesn't show up on mine, most likely because the Cosmo doesn't have the Band IV that my carrier requires.

My Carrier (Freedom Mobile in Canada) is supposed to have VoLTE support, but I kind of screwed up when I checked the band compatibility for the Cosmo on my network.  Freedom requires Band IV (1700/2100 AWS), so whilst I have text and data working, calls do not.

I was aware this might be a problem, and I would rather keep my Cosmo and change to another network than stay with Freedom.
In the meantime, though, I was hoping I could get VoLTE working or SIP at least, until I can switch.

(I do have SIP working via MizuDroid, but I was hoping to use the native dialer)