Author Topic: The unofficial official my cosmo has arrived thread  (Read 9429 times)

vader

• View Profile
The unofficial official my cosmo has arrived thread
« on: November 18, 2019, 10:40:09 pm »
I looked for one - I seem to remember we had a "My Gemini Has Arrived" thread. After the "scam" thread, and with so many waiting, maybe people can be more confident that theirs is on the way be seeing how many have been delivered.

So:

order 9xx, Japanese motherboard (for Australian LTE frequencies), US keyboard and power supply.

AP756

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 10:05:54 am »
Ok, the postman was nice to me and delivered my Cosmo     . No. 126 (German keyboard, EC power supply) reached its destination. It's up and running now and I love the keyboard backlight. After some time (rooting etc.) it will substitute my Gemini. Great phone/computer/communicator, I love it. Best buy since Gemini

Bye for now

donc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 01:03:56 am »
Postman delivered my Cosmo yesterday (#76, UK Keyboard, UK Charger) and I have to say I am really impressed with it. Everything is more sturdy (couldn't believe how well the hinge held the screen in position the first time I opened it, showed what I had become used to with the Gemini), the keyboard is excellent, a big improvement over the Gemini. Now to start properly setting it up with the apps and settings I was using on the Gemini...

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 08:23:20 am »
Mine (UK) arrived today!  \o/

(About half an hour before the email from Indiegogo saying that it's shipped…)

The hinge is indeed a lot sturdier (and so the unit is more stable when open), and the keyboard seems a bit better (if noisier).  (But I won't be able to put it through its paces until I can root it and start transferring stuff from my Gemini.)
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

MonkeyControl

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2019, 09:25:23 pm »
Mine turned up two days ago, NZ rural, ID#3359, EUSA radios, UK keyboard, EU charger, very shiny.  
Well worth the wait, it's a beautiful thing.

maki.jouni

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 09:09:29 am »
Quote from: MonkeyControl
Mine turned up two days ago

Nice to hear that everything went well, you had that "home made delivery problem"  
Cosmo Communicator (Fin/Swe), Mix2, Sony Xperia XZ & Z3, Nokia N900, Nokia PARSA, HTC Touch Pro, Qtek 9100, Nokia 6600 & 6210 & 2110, Mobira Talkman

MonkeyControl

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 01:01:27 am »
Quote from: maki.jouni
Nice to hear that everything went well, you had that "home made delivery problem"  
Thanks Maki.Jouni, the 'home made delivery problem' was all my own fault, but despite my very best efforts to completely stuff things up, Planet still delivered, and I'm loving my new Cosmo.  Even though you folk with more 'exclusive' keyboards may have to wait a little longer, from my few days of experience I can reassure you that it will be worth the wait.

ehem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 01:26:47 am »
Quote from: gidds
Mine (UK) arrived today!  \o/
I'm presuming you've got the standard radios?  You haven't mentioned what range your contribution was in.

So far we've got:

Japan radios:
09xx: Nov 28

Standard (Europe/T-Mobile US) radios:
0076: Nov 25
0126: Nov 25
3359: Dec 28

No information on ones with the Verizon radios, though we know a few people on here have them.

I haven't gotten mine yet, but with the trend so far being in the 56xx range suggests middle or end of January.

While the keyboard layout makes a difference, that is minor compared to the choice of radios.  You could potentially put a Deutsch, Japanese, UK or US keyboard layout on any device.  Different radio frequencies require changing the motherboard.

AGdesigns-NL

• View Profile
    • Http://agdesigns.nl
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 05:58:11 am »
My cosmo has just arrived at my house.
Us keyboard Eu charger.
Located in the netherlands.
Ordered 17-7-2019.
Device looks and feels verrrrry good.
Have a great day ahead of me...

TomJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2020, 05:23:58 pm »
This seems as good a thread as any for a first post; mine arrived the day after I's sent Planet a message saying I'd be heading off to my family's place for Christmas in a couple of days, so could it be sent there, and the day before I got the email saying it was in the post...

ehem

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 09:51:02 pm »
Quote from: AGdesigns-NL
Us keyboard Eu charger.
Located in the netherlands.
Ordered 17-7-2019.
I was attempting to generate an estimated mapping from Indiegogo order #s to arrival date.  You ordered your's before me, but I don't have any idea how long before me.  If yours was in the 54xx range then mine would be expected almost any day now, if you were in the 39xx range then I'll be waiting a bit longer.

The numbers were pointing at around 100 being dispatched per day, but New Year's will have an impact on that.  Then comes the issue of whether production is ramping up or remaining at the same rate.

Sounds like some of the less common keyboard layouts are going to be slow.  This surprises me since I wouldn't expect that to be a difficult part to produce the variants of.  There would be a need to figure out how many of them to produce, the only difficulty would be if some of those were outright rare (which could mean higher price after the first production run).

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2020, 07:07:54 am »
Quote from: ehem
I was attempting to generate an estimated mapping from Indiegogo order #s to arrival date.
I'd claim there's no useful relation between Indiegogo backer id:s and delivery dates. The devices are neither built nor shipped in numerical order. For practical reasons, the factory prefers doing larger batches of things before smaller. This is why all japanese units (the most common variant) were made and delivered first, regardless of their backer id numbers.

The keys caps are laser etched, so from a manufacturing perspective, all keyboards should be the same, except for which design file is loaded into the laser etcher, but, again, the factory prefers to etch the more common variants first. It's probably a bit more efficient to load the etching machine to capacity with blanks and etch them all with the same patterns, compared to etching a few of this and a few of that, so probably, the less common variants requires a bit more time and manpower, and, for that reason, costs a bit more to make.  

Once devices are built, they're going through quality checks. Some devices passes, while others will need smaller or bigger fixes. This adds further randomness to when anything gets finished. Also, how long actual shipping to each backer takes, will partially depend on local factors. If, say, PostNord, has problems, that might delay (some) deliveries in Sweden, but not in, say, Finland.

My own backer id is in the 600's but that doesn't matter. My keyboard layout is among the least common, so it wasn't eteched until all the more common ones were done. That's why I'm still wating for my Cosmo. It had been no different if my backer id had been 1.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:36:03 am by Daniel W »

gymbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 09:14:15 pm »
Quote from: Daniel W
My own backer id is in the 600's but that doesn't matter. My keyboard layout is among the least common, so it wasn't eteched until all the more common ones were done. That's why I'm still wating for my Cosmo. It had been no different if my backer id had been 1.
Hmm, I think I have seen someone with ID over 1000 with FIN/SWE keyboard reporting that they have been locked (which again made me hopeful that "my" Cosmo with DEN/NOR keyboard should be just around the corner as well; my ID is somewhat over 2000)...

But how long can they really take to finish the last few hundred Cosmo's?? They OUGHT to be finished by now...

(Which again leads me to believe that their production now consists of one single person. So when they say that the production is running, it is literally THAT ONE PERSON running somewhere. And since he is running, he is unable to produce any Cosmo's...        )

They have had the Digitime-issue to deal with lately, but that shouldn't interfere with their production?? I am reading the comments on IGG, and find that a lot of the complaints and accusations there are quite ludicrous, but AM now struggling with understanding why these last few units take so long time...

Ninji

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 06:18:00 am »
Here are my details:

- Contribution ID 877, backed 5th November 2018
- UK keyboard/adapter
- Standard UK/EU radios

I'm not sure exactly when mine was locked, but I received separate dispatch emails from Planet and from Indiegogo 25th November 2019, along with a Royal Mail tracking number, and received my Cosmo the next morning.

The amount of delays and setbacks from the ODM is quite impressive, you'd think they would have figured things out after having built the Gemini where presumably they also had to deal with issues like different keyboard layouts. But no, they just keep on missing promised deadlines, and then you get these silly quality control issues, like people receiving devices without a SIM tray, or mine where they left a microSD card and a SIM card inside the tray...

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2020, 06:41:20 am »
Quote from: gymbo
Hmm, I think I have seen someone with ID over 1000 with FIN/SWE keyboard reporting that they have been locked (which again made me hopeful that "my" Cosmo with DEN/NOR keyboard should be just around the corner as well; my ID is somewhat over 2000)...

But how long can they really take to finish the last few hundred Cosmo's?? They OUGHT to be finished by now...
Just to be clear, I've been "locked" on IGG since Christmas Day. What I'm still waiting for is actual delivery. Update #41 from Monday, January 6, says a few hundred Cosmos "are on their way to Europe". That shipment "mostly concerns" certain keyboard layouts, including Dvorak, DEN/NOR and SWE/FIN, so unless I've missed something, the devices for me, gymbo, maki jouni and others should be in that shipment, which, as that was eight days ago, should already be in Europe by now. What's holding them up, and what happened with the "more from us later this week", which now is last week, is anybodys guess at the moment.

Edit Jan 15: Update #42 confirms the shipment above has, after a delay, arrivied in Europe today, and should, once cleared by UK customs, be shipped to their final destinations ASAP.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 08:45:56 am by Daniel W »