Author Topic: Odd Behavior Thread  (Read 8218 times)

drhood

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« on: November 23, 2019, 08:49:37 pm »
Received Cosmo Communicator (US/non-Verizon) two days ago. Moved from previous phone to Cosmo today. Noticed a few odd behaviors. Don't know if they are already reported or fixable via a software update.

A. A couple of times, the display (front) panel did not replace 'Planet Computer' with date/time after closing the device. The large inside screen was responsive and appeared to work normally. Restarting the device restored the front panel display to normal behavior. This occurred a couple of times after using the device open for at least 10 minutes and the keyboard for various things (including accessing the Settings). I will be monitoring to see if it occurs again and more specifically the circumstance it occurs.

B. Pressing the Alt + Tab causes the red LED appear to signal all caps is engaged, but this key combination does not disable all caps. Pressing Fn + Tab keys enables and disables all caps. Unclear why Alt + Tab has this effect. It also seems redundant with Fn + Tab.

Note: Per the Cosmo quick guide, the red LED is for all caps or low battery. The B issue occurs regardless of battery.

C. The Cosmo was shipped with a near full battery charge, which is great! The battery drained to 15% with frequent use over the course of the day. It wasn't until the end of the day when I noticed that the keyboard LED's were on the lowest setting. I wondered if the unit was shipped with the keyboard LED light on. Recommend new Cosmo users check that their keyboard LED's are not on when they first receive it by repeatedly pressing the Fn + Shift + B keys. I will be monitoring the battery usage over the next several days.

D. Airmail appears to authenticate email account info in plain text, which Google blocked due to the reduced security. Google did not notify me and the Airmail error message was not very informative. Took me a bit to figure out that I had to go into Google security and make a change for Google to trust the Airmail app (last item in the Google security page, something about insecure app). The inability for Airmail to connect to gmail straightaway may confuse some Cosmo users who wish to use the Airmail app.  

I look forward to getting to know the Cosmo over the next months.

Modified by adding note to B clarifying the multiple functionality of the red LED light.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:15:41 am by drhood »

drhood

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 09:08:24 pm »
Display (front) panel has and then loses ability to pause/play media file using a non-Standard media app. I use Antennae Pod to listen to podcasts. When I listen with this App and close the Cosmo, the name of the Antennae Pod app appears on the Display (front) panel with functional pause/play and previous/next track buttons on the front panel display. The Display (front) panel dims and then turn off while the podcast is playing. If I press the top button to turn on the front display panel and the audio of the podcast is still playing, the Antenna Pod 'mini' app is gone (ii.e., must open the Cosmo to pause the audio). It would be nice if the any media app could remain on the front panel display because it is more convenient to pause/play from the front panel  compared to opening the Cosmo.

Still enjoying discovering the usefulness of the Cosmo!

Modified to clarify that the issue includes when the audio is playing.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 09:12:36 am by drhood »

drhood

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 09:07:22 am »
The keyboard short cut Fn + Alt does not make the Planet app launch bar appear after customizing the launch bar using the Planet App Bar app. It seems as if the Planet app launch bar (a daemon that needs to run in the background?) needs to restart after customizing it (i.e., re-ordering the launch bar apps, removing/adding launch bar app); however, it is unknown how to restart just the Planet launch bar (daemon?). A complete restart of the Android will return functionality of the Planet launch bar. Usability will be better for users if the Fn + Alt short cut will continue to work after customizing the Planet launch bar via the Planet App Bar app.

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 04:25:43 pm »
Here are some of the issues I've noticed:
1) Fn+A to open app list, then Tab to scroll thru open apps.  The first Tab after Fn+A enables Caps (red light) as if I did Fn+Tab, even though the Tab comes after Fn+A. Then subsequent Tabs do what they should - cycle thru the apps.
2) Once in awhile the device will lock (as in go back to the lock screen, not lock up as in freeze/crash).  Unlock with fingerprint, then I'm back where I was.  
This happens even though no input - didn't push any key, didn't touch screen.  For example, while I was reading a book.
3) A lot of apps don't handle landscape well.  It is necessary to Fn+Shift+R.  Example: first time I ran Weather Underground.
4) Little plastic pieces on the edge of the hinge start to come off.  They're small and finicky.  I'm thinking of fixing them in place with a tiny bit of resin epoxy applied with a needle point.
5) Cover Display is a bit of a power drain.  However, the thing has a big battery so I've just left CoDi on anyways.  It lasts a day even if I do, and I've been using it a lot each day 'cos it's new and I'm playing with it lots.
6) Sometimes an app (or CoDi) starts using lots of power.  The front screen warms up.  Not sure if this is because the issue is with CoDi or if the main processor happens to be around there.  The battery graph shows more power being used (steeper slope down) when this happens.  Changing apps (not even closing, just changing focused app) seems to resolve it.
7) I had major problems getting my smartwatch (Samsung Gear S2) to pair and stay connected.  Solved with the help of folks in this forum (there's a thread about it).  TL;DR is completely disable DuraSpeed and also turn off Battery Optimization for the related apps as well as the Bluetooth app (see thread for details).
8) Built-in camera app is terrible.  Very basic controls, really bad JPEG compression.  On the plus side the camera is actually quite good if you use e.g. OpenCamera.  Only issue there is that RAW doesn't seem to work but 90%+ JPEG quality gives good results.  I came from a Samsung S8+ and that phone (indeed, most devices) apply color-popping filters when they take pics, so if you want your pics to come out like other devices, you'll have to do the same.  OpenCamera works really well on the Cosmo though.

vader

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 06:40:40 pm »
Quote from: NormMonkey
8) Built-in camera app is terrible.  Very basic controls, really bad JPEG compression.  On the plus side the camera is actually quite good if you use e.g. OpenCamera.  Only issue there is that RAW doesn't seem to work but 90%+ JPEG quality gives good results.  I came from a Samsung S8+ and that phone (indeed, most devices) apply color-popping filters when they take pics, so if you want your pics to come out like other devices, you'll have to do the same.  OpenCamera works really well on the Cosmo though.
Totally agree. I made OpenCamera my default camera. It works much better. It is somewhat fiddly if you want anything but the defaults, but takes good photos, and has lots of options once you enable API2. I prefer the more natural photos - it is easier to work with the original rather than a "popped" image.

drhood

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 08:29:13 pm »
Quote from: vader
Quote from: NormMonkey
Totally agree. I made OpenCamera my default camera. It works much better. It is somewhat fiddly if you want anything but the defaults, but takes good photos, and has lots of options once you enable API2. I prefer the more natural photos - it is easier to work with the original rather than a "popped" image.

Great posts NorMonkey and vader! I will have to try OpenCamera. Will have to add it to the 'Cosmo Community Recommended Android 9 Apps' list, if it gets created.

Cheers!

PNuT

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 10:38:52 am »
In call dialer not working for me, just had to call vodafone about my broadband and couldn't navigate through the automated system!

Sath

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 08:42:24 am »
The cover display only lists contacts up to (and including) and names starting with `R` when searching by first letter.  Tried restarting the unit and restarting the cover display. I Android and display updates took like silk when updated them.

The Android part (contacts application) is very finicky and only finds certain names based (ready for this?)... Based on capitalization. For example, if you if I search for `war` it pulls up a contact with the the last name of Ward. Capital W and all. If I search with an upper case W,  it pulls up the aforementioned name as well as The War Department (wife). If typing `war` in the search bar, it turns up Ward and the corporate attorney`s contact that has "Warren" in the address. "War" brings up all three contacts with the letters "War" in the contact info/name. Same with other names in the contacts. I tried this experiment on my Note 9 and the results returned as expected on that device, showing all of the names containing the searched for letter and letter strings.

Battery life seems OK on this unit. I started using it 40 minutes ago on full brightness (screen and keyboard) and its down to 93 percent from 100 percent. It's not Note 9 life, but I can live with it for now, since the device is usually plugged in when I'm not actively using it.

jakfish

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 09:41:37 am »
Can confirm all of Sath's well-detailed points. In fact, I was just about to post here about the wackadoodle contact search when device is opened. I've seen this complaint in phones other than the Cosmo, so it strikes me as a purely Pie issue.

As for the contact scrolling in the cover display, I can't get close to the end of my 420 contacts and while I don't fail at the R's as Sath does, I have doubles, even quadruples of contacts (though not in Android Contacts proper). Luckily, the cover display properly presents the most-often-used phone numbers.

As for the recent update to the cover display, my first attempt failed, but my second took--anecdotally, I had wifi on, data off, and I kept hitting the shift key so the screen wouldn't blank, though I think the update already prevents that.

Battery life obviously not as good as the Gem's, but I've just received this machine so I don't have a scale yet. So far, I can get through the day, but must recharge at night.

i find the Gem's touch screen to be more accurate than the Cosmo's. For example, scrolling through emails or files in a file manager, the Cosmo scrolling randomly opens or starts those items. That does not happen in the Gem. This issue is with and without the stock screen protector. I have a third-party protector on the Gem and must brood if that would help Cosmo accuracy.

Jake
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 10:59:15 am by jakfish »

Jesse from Ohio

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 07:22:15 pm »
Quote from: drhood
D. Airmail appears to authenticate email account info in plain text, which Google blocked due to the reduced security. Google did not notify me and the Airmail error message was not very informative. Took me a bit to figure out that I had to go into Google security and make a change for Google to trust the Airmail app (last item in the Google security page, something about insecure app). The inability for Airmail to connect to gmail straightaway may confuse some Cosmo users who wish to use the Airmail app.

Seriously, plain text authentication?? I haven't used the Airmail app, but a quick glance through the settings doesn't reveal any security level options.
Does anyone else have a comment on this item? If that's really true, nobody should use the Airmail app, for anything. Ever.

Jesse from Ohio

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 07:29:53 pm »
Quote from: Sath
The Android part (contacts application) is very finicky and only finds certain names based (ready for this?)... Based on capitalization.

Quote from: jakfish
Can confirm all of Sath's well-detailed points. In fact, I was just about to post here about the wackadoodle contact search when device is opened. I've seen this complaint in phones other than the Cosmo, so it strikes me as a purely Pie issue.

Agreed this issue seems to be related to Pie, as my Google Pixel has been doing it since an update over 6 months ago, running stock Android. Even when capitalizing just like in my address book, it can be impossible to search for a specific contact. I usually just scroll all the way down and choose from the list, it's more predictable that way. Quite frustrating, though. :-\

Sath

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 03:49:27 am »
Quote from: Jesse from Ohio
Quote from: drhood

Seriously, plain text authentication?? I haven't used the Airmail app, but a quick glance through the settings doesn't reveal any security level options.
Does anyone else have a comment on this item? If that's really true, nobody should use the Airmail app, for anything. Ever.

Airmail is nothing more than a Re-skinned version of K9 Maill. IIRC it K9 mail is open source but not sure. It is an old piece of software.

Quote from: Jesse from Ohio
Quote from: Sath
The Android part (contacts application) is very finicky and only finds certain names based (ready for this?)... Based on capitalization.

Quote from: jakfish

Agreed this issue seems to be related to Pie, as my Google Pixel has been doing it since an update over 6 months ago, running stock Android. Even when capitalizing just like in my address book, it can be impossible to search for a specific contact. I usually just scroll all the way down and choose from the list, it's more predictable that way. Quite frustrating, though. :-

Fair enough. No experience with Pie. Thank you for clarifying it may be an Android 9 issue.

Piece_Maker

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2019, 09:42:08 am »
My battery life has been very intermittent. Sometimes it'll last the day and a bit, others it'll drain by 60% within a few hours of not being used.

Also, I can't find a way to enable Android 9's gesture navigtion. For now I've turned the navigation bar off completelly and just do it via keyboard shortcuts.

Sath

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2019, 04:17:39 pm »
Quote from: Piece_Maker
Also, I can't find a way to enable Android 9's gesture navigtion. For now I've turned the navigation bar off completelly and just do it via keyboard shortcuts.

Fairly certain Gesture Navigation was not baked into the Cosmo ROM.

Ralph B

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 05:06:30 am »
Quote from: vader
I made OpenCamera my default camera.

How do you make OpenCamera the default camera? I can choose to use OpenCamera from the desktop, but when I choose the camera from the cover display, I think I'm stuck with the Cosmo camera, right?