Author Topic: Odd Behavior Thread  (Read 9092 times)

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2019, 12:13:45 pm »
Just discovered another odd behaviour.

My built-in Battery Monitor doesn't give app details (I have yet to try a dalvik cache wipe, since I haven't rooted yet and don't know the invocation for recovery mode if there is one)
so I installed the GSam battery monitor.

I have noticed that every once in awhile the front of the device gets really warm.  

GSam says that "Phone Services" is the culprit.  It keeps waking up for "*telephony-radio*"

I have also noticed that the device NEVER goes into deep sleep or whatever the low-idle state is.

Finally, I noticed that sometimes the Samsung Health app takes a lot of battery.  Other times it is quiet.  This doesn't seem to correspond to activity - at first I thought it might eat more when I'm walking but I have seen it do this when I'm just sitting on the couch too.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what's up with Phone Services?  Anyone seen similar behaviour?

Even weirder: I have a Roku TV and there is a Roku app.  Whenever I run it and then close the phone leaving it in the foreground / last thing that was on the screen, the phone gets warm.  So, I figured that GSam would say it is Roku using power, right?  

Nope, it's Phone Services.  Weird.  Somehow leaving the Roku app open causes Phone Services to use much power.

Dr. Watson

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2019, 04:47:20 am »
Hello,

unfortunately I must confirm the battery life / power management issues.
In my case they appeared after the first firmware update.
Before the update I only had issues with
1) searching contacts produces too few or no results
2) finger print sensor totally unreliable, even with multiple fingers registered
3) display sometimes locks during use

The top of the device / cover display always feels warm and battery drains about 10% every hour.

Also the Battery saver button in the extended top menu (whats the professional term for this menu in Android?)  is no longer functional.

Battery usage details per application  no longer work.

Complete reset of the device seems to solve the issue for a few minutes .... after that the Battery Saver icon remains gray and the troubles start all over.

Anyone know how to downgrade? :-)

Regards,
DrW

Quote from: NormMonkey
Just discovered another odd behaviour.

My built-in Battery Monitor doesn't give app details (I have yet to try a dalvik cache wipe, since I haven't rooted yet and don't know the invocation for recovery mode if there is one)
so I installed the GSam battery monitor.

I have noticed that every once in awhile the front of the device gets really warm.  

GSam says that "Phone Services" is the culprit.  It keeps waking up for "*telephony-radio*"

I have also noticed that the device NEVER goes into deep sleep or whatever the low-idle state is.

Finally, I noticed that sometimes the Samsung Health app takes a lot of battery.  Other times it is quiet.  This doesn't seem to correspond to activity - at first I thought it might eat more when I'm walking but I have seen it do this when I'm just sitting on the couch too.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what's up with Phone Services?  Anyone seen similar behaviour?

Even weirder: I have a Roku TV and there is a Roku app.  Whenever I run it and then close the phone leaving it in the foreground / last thing that was on the screen, the phone gets warm.  So, I figured that GSam would say it is Roku using power, right?  

Nope, it's Phone Services.  Weird.  Somehow leaving the Roku app open causes Phone Services to use much power.

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2019, 01:24:32 pm »
Quote from: Dr. Watson
2) finger print sensor totally unreliable, even with multiple fingers registered
On mine the fingerprint sensor works fairly well, although I did   have to train the same finger twice.  I wish we could configure the   number of entrainments each finger gets.
Try training the same finger two (or even three, although I only needed two) times.
3) display sometimes locks during use
Mine does this too.  Haven't found any info or fix for this.

Also the Battery saver button in the extended top menu (whats the professional term for this menu in Android?)  is no longer functional.
I think you're talking about the Quick Settings pull-down menu.
Battery usage details per application  no longer work.
I have never seen this work on this phone.  I get the battery usage graph but I get "Battery usage data isn't available" for the per-application part.  Always have.  I read that clearing the dalvik cache from the recovery menu may solve this, but I don't know how to get to the recovery menu (haven't rooted, mine is stock).

However, the GSam Battery Monitor application is giving me useful information.
Anyone know how to downgrade? :-)
Mine seems to have gotten a bit better after the firmware upgrade.

My main battery culprits are:
* Phone services
* Android System
* Samsung Health - I use it for step counting and health metrics from my smart watch.  I didn't realize that the Cosmo has a step counter too.  It does.

I've also noticed my phone never sleeps, it is always active.

Dr. Watson

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2019, 11:41:30 am »
Hello all.

I neglected to install the update for the Cover Display after installing the OTA Update for Android.
After flashing the latest CODI firmware  via the Cover Display assistant the battery issues are gone.

Flashing was not an easy task, though. I got repeated failures and only after resetting, stopping and restarting it finally worked. Apart from that it seems to have flashed twice. Once very slowly over many minutes and the second task within minutes.
Whatever. At least the battery issues are gone.

Regards,
DrW

zottel

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 01:21:35 am »
The adaptive display brightness regulation is using the rear camera instead of the front one, which often leads to a too dark display when the back of the Cosmo points to a dark area or I accidently put fingers over the camera.

adfh

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2019, 01:18:41 am »
I get the caps lock thing myself with Alt+Tab.. annoying!

The rear camera is used for ambient light detection? That explains so much - I turned it off as it got so erratic!

Upgrading the CODI firmware is indeed a pain - you have to disable ANYTHING that might send a notification through to the display in normal circumstances, otherwise it'll upset the firmware transfer... and it takes 20-30 minutes to find out if it'll work.

The missing battery usage stats is a pain, though I'm using AccuBattery Pro at the moment which seems to be getting an idea of what's going on - that said, I suspect the Android side of things has no visibility on the power consumption of the cover processor.

adfh

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2019, 01:19:56 am »
Oh.. and the search thing - I got that problem, contacted Planet.. The default language set by the Planet Keyboard app is wrong. It's like "English, USA (PC)" or similar. You need to select a "plain" English USA or whichever locale you prefer without the PC bit or otherwise NONE of Android's indexing functions will work. They may have fixed this in the latest firmware update, but if not, if you ever go into the Planet keyboard app to reselect your language, you need to go into the Android native language settings and fix it up again there afterwards.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:20:46 am by adfh »

PJS

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2019, 01:01:49 pm »
OK, I've a kept a running log of issues I've observed...
Some of these have been reported, some may have been
fixed with the last update and I need to re-test, but here
goes...

Code: [Select]
- Cosmo randomly thinks it's being charged when not connected to anything.
  Only rebooting will correct the state.

- Occasionally the Cosmo seems to do some sort of reset, loosing recent calls,
  activities, running apps are shutdown, etc.

- Cosmo frequently "locks" itself while it is open and in the middle of me doing something.

- Bluetooth on the Cosmo (like the Gemini) is still a mess:
 - I try to stream media (ONLY) to my car stereo (Ford Sync)...   It can require 5-10
  connection attempts from the stereo.  Most of the time, if I am quick enough in
  telling the stereo to retry (after a fail), then it manages to get connected.  Does
  this indicate the Cosmo's bluetooth stack is just too slow?

- Turning on earpiece (for only calls/contacts) often kills separate playing media
  connection

- Cosmo Keyboard backlight:
 - The backlight should come on/off based on front ambient light levels
  (if you step into total darkness, it's challenge to turn on the backlight).

- The backlight should turn off/on with screen sleep
  (it now stays on when screen sleeps).

- Cosmo outside screen:
 - The screen needs to have (at least an option for) a default non-interactive mode!
  As it is, when you first close the Cosmo, the outside screen is active and
  just putting it in your pocket often causes totally unintended calls, settings
  changes, etc.   It really sucks to find your phone spent the last few hours in
  airplane mode or you answered a call (you didn't want) just pulling phone
  from your pocket!

- The "non-interactive" mode should only become interactive on an explicit
  (configurable?) action - silver button press, rocker press or screen double- or
  triple-tap.

- Is it possible the outside screen remains active when you open it?   Occasionally
  it seems unintended actions when the Cosmo is opened.  Naturally, one can't
  see what's happening there when you open the Cosmo.

- The outside screen is frequently very slow to react, then it misinterprets swipes
  as selections or just does not respond, etc

- Outside LEDs (on toggle switch) can stop showing - requiring a total restart
  (just reseting the outside display fixed nothing)

- Enhancement - When flashlight is on, make silver button turn off the flashlight?

- When answering a call with the Cosmo is in "silver button answers in speaker phone"
  mode, it interferes w/ bluetooth calls.   You can hear the call ring in your earpiece,
  but when the call connects, then it goes to speakerphone mode.  It seems like
  this functionality should not supercede bluetooth earpiece use.

- Could there be an option to just answer to speaker phone mode if keyboard is open
  (& no bluetooth device takes precedence)?

- Why do I frequently see "89" appear in things that recieve text input when I reopen
 my Cosmo?   ....some sort of leftover debugging code?

- Need an option to simply set which is speaker/mic on exterior vs. the automatic
 reorientation switching!  ...or have an option not to switch orientation during a call.
 It's awfully difficult to carry on a call while holding the phone working on something
 - bend over and you essentially loose the call.

- Notes app:
 - backup to a local file does not appear to work.  You can select a path, then
  no backup file is saved and all you can do is cancel out.
 - you should be able to set the path where the notes are stored by default.

- The Agenda app:
 - should have a setting whether it will involve google maps?
  What if you do not want to be spied on??
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 01:06:25 pm by PJS »

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
    • http://
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2019, 06:54:31 am »
Quote from: PJS
OK, I've a kept a running log of issues I've observed...
Code: [Select]
- Why do I frequently see "89" appear in things that recieve text input when I reopen
 my Cosmo?   ....some sort of leftover debugging code?
I observed something similar on the Gemini: I'd find a control sequence had been typed when the thing was closed.

Tracked it down to a physical problem.  As the keys are proud of the base, they're all pressed down slightly when the lid is closed (hence the need for the very strong magnets to hold it together -- capable of wiping hotel room keycards in seconds), and if the OS doesn't notice quickly enough to turn the keyboard off, it'll sometimes enter spurious characters into the keyboard buffer.

TheBruce

• View Profile
    • http://
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2020, 12:37:12 pm »
Quote from: adfh
Oh.. and the search thing - I got that problem, contacted Planet.. The default language set by the Planet Keyboard app is wrong. It's like "English, USA (PC)" or similar. You need to select a "plain" English USA or whichever locale you prefer without the PC bit or otherwise NONE of Android's indexing functions will work. They may have fixed this in the latest firmware update, but if not, if you ever go into the Planet keyboard app to reselect your language, you need to go into the Android native language settings and fix it up again there afterwards.
This helped me a lot. I've been trying to get  OK Google to work on my Cosmo for an entire afternoon, but the option  to enable it was greyed out. Switching to English US without the PC, fixed that. And it fixed the case sensitive search in Contacts as well. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 12:38:17 pm by TheBruce »

DanielMader

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2020, 02:48:52 pm »
Thanks all for this thread, I hope Planet Computers will take the time to read it.
Mostly, I agree with PJS' observations (https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=35915&view=findpost&p=293794):
  • Notes App (pre-installed): Ctrl+left/right changes font size instead of wordwise cursor movement
  • Cosmo keyboard: longpress character map should be customizable for more fluid umlaut typing (i.e. characters should be rearrangeable, and a default should be set)
  • CODI: opening notifcation and then opening the device clamshell should also open corresponding app
  • keyboard backlight should turn off when main display turns off (has been reported already)

Vistaus

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 04:20:05 pm »
Some keyboard shortcuts on the Dvorak layout are off. For example, Shift+Fn+R should rotate the screen, but it's mapped to Shift+Fn+P instead. Likewise, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are mapped to other keys as well (Ctrl+K and Ctrl+X resp.).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 04:20:24 pm by Vistaus »

Vistaus

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 01:58:13 pm »
Quote from: Vistaus
Some keyboard shortcuts on the Dvorak layout are off. For example, Shift+Fn+R should rotate the screen, but it's mapped to Shift+Fn+P instead. Likewise, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V are mapped to other keys as well (Ctrl+K and Ctrl+X resp.).

Shortcuts in Vivaldi are messed up simarirly (i.e. Ctrl + T is mapped to Ctrl + Y instead).

Vistaus

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2020, 02:38:17 pm »
Where can I report bugs to Planet again?

maki.jouni

• View Profile
Odd Behavior Thread
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 02:46:09 pm »
Quote from: Vistaus
Where can I report bugs to Planet again?
http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/C...Troubleshooting
Cosmo Communicator (Fin/Swe), Mix2, Sony Xperia XZ & Z3, Nokia N900, Nokia PARSA, HTC Touch Pro, Qtek 9100, Nokia 6600 & 6210 & 2110, Mobira Talkman