Author Topic: Keymap weirdness?  (Read 1765 times)

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Keymap weirdness?
« on: November 29, 2019, 03:41:24 pm »
Hi all,    I connected my bluetooth keyboard - I know, I know, half the reason for having a Cosmo is the fantastic keyboard, but I have this one Lenovo BT keyboard with the TrackPoint nipple thing that I love and when I'm sitting at my desk I use the one keyboard for everything: PC, laptop, phone ... it has the bluetooth multi-connect thing.    Anyways, on the Cosmo, the single and doublequote and the twiddle and backtick keys make slashes and pipes.  I haven't figured out how to do quotes via BT keyboard.      I haven't tried plugging in a USB keyboard to see if it has the same issue.         Anyone else seeing the same thing?

Daniel W

• View Profile
Keymap weirdness?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 11:08:33 am »
Quote from: NormMonkey
Hi all,    I connected my bluetooth keyboard - I know, I know, half the reason for having a Cosmo is the fantastic keyboard, but I have this one Lenovo BT keyboard with the TrackPoint nipple thing that I love and when I'm sitting at my desk I use the one keyboard for everything: PC, laptop, phone ... it has the bluetooth multi-connect thing.    Anyways, on the Cosmo, the single and doublequote and the twiddle and backtick keys make slashes and pipes.  I haven't figured out how to do quotes via BT keyboard.      I haven't tried plugging in a USB keyboard to see if it has the same issue.         Anyone else seeing the same thing?
While I haven't tried with my Gemini (yet anyway), I have connected a Lenovo KT-1255 Bluetooth keyboard to my other Android phone, and I also got some symbols wrong, even though the physical keyboard layout matches the locale set on my phone (Sweden, in my case). I think the reason is that the Lenovo keyboard is tuned to work with Windows, which seems to associate some scan codes (or similar) to other symbols than Android. I solved my problem by using External Keyboard Helper Pro from the Play Store. There's a free Demo version and a ($2 or so) paid version. Beyond checking to see that "ok, this seems to work", I haven't really USED that keyboard much with the phone (first, I got a smaller BT keyboard, for which Keyboard Helper did the trick, and then I got the Gemini) so I can't say if it works WELL. I seem to recall that my Lenovo keyboard was a bit finicky to pair, as it has no pairing button, but rather seems to automatically go to paring mode when unpaired from the last device it was paired to, which, for me, made it too much of a hassle to move between devices, so nowadays it mostly collects dust, on its way to oblivion, I'm afraid.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 11:09:26 am by Daniel W »

NormMonkey

• View Profile
Keymap weirdness?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 09:28:32 am »
Quote from: Daniel W
While I haven't tried with my Gemini (yet anyway), I have connected a Lenovo KT-1255 Bluetooth keyboard to my other Android phone, and I also got some symbols wrong, even though the physical keyboard layout matches the locale set on my phone (Sweden, in my case).

Mine's a Lenovo KT-1525 which is essentially the same as the 1255 except it can pair to 3 BT devices.  I love the Lenovo TrackPoint, I have never met its equal on any other keyboard (mostly because hardly any keyboards have them which I think is a shame

I ended up sorting this out pretty easily, in the end:
Settings : Languages & input : Keyboard & inputs, you should find two:

* Virtual keyboard
* Physical keyboard
Choose Physical keyboard.  When the BT keyboard is connected you should see both:
* Integrated keyboard
* Thinkpad keyboard (or whatever your device shows up as)
Choose your device, and you should find it is set to your language and "Gemini keyboard".  Change "Gemini keyboard" to "Android Keyboard" and that does the trick.