Author Topic: Sailfish on Cosmo - some Information from Jolla ..  (Read 15858 times)

gabs5807

• View Profile
Sailfish on Cosmo - some Information from Jolla ..
« on: December 25, 2019, 06:19:26 am »
At the Jolla Blog i read the following conversation:

ghling   on November 20, 2019 at 8:29 am

Any news on the Cosmo Communicator support? With the device finally being in construction and the first batch already shipped to backers (me included), I wonder when we’ll see the first SFOS build for it. The fact that it is mentioned at no point in this post really concerns me.
Does the license offer for existing users apply to the Cosmo as well?

James Noori   on November 21, 2019 at 2:31 pm

The special offer applies to the supported Xperia devices, as you may see in the table featured in this blog. We cannot speak on behalf of another company, therefore we encourage you to get directly in touch with Planet Computers.

This means, that Planaet should do the first step to get Sailfish on the Cosmo   .

It seems that we have a hen-egg problem here - who do the first step   ?
So what is the way to trigger the Jolla - Planet communication?

On the PDA the first step was do setup a community Port.
But i did not see any actions for the Cosmo, or did i miss something?

Best regards gabs5807
Amongst many other Computers and Phones i'm using a Gemini PDA WIFI+G4 and a Cosmo Communicator both with German keyboard, all with SailfishOS and Debian ;-)

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2019, 07:05:55 pm »
Think this just means that Jolla does not want to be the messenger now for Planet Computers.

Given the relationship that Planet Computers established with Jolla regarding the Gemini, I would think they have had conversations about the Cosmo.

It may be that they don't want to discuss it publicly until they have a more definite date for releasing Sailfish for Cosmo.

I would not read more into the statement than this.

Mark
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/

gabs5807

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 01:04:05 pm »
Quote from: ArchiMark
Think this just means that Jolla does not want to be the messenger now for Planet Computers.

Given the relationship that Planet Computers established with Jolla regarding the Gemini, I would think they have had conversations about the Cosmo.

It may be that they don't want to discuss it publicly until they have a more definite date for releasing Sailfish for Cosmo.

I would not read more into the statement than this.

Mark

I hope you are right.
At this mer-meeting the answer from Jolla - James Noori (Jaymzz) was:

08:18:15 <Jaymzz> #topic Planet Cosmo Communicator (5 min – asked by  VWrestle)#info How are Developments going for the new Cosmo?
08:18:31 <ExTechOp> #info Otto Mäkelä, community
08:18:32 <Jaymzz> #info How are Developments going for the new Cosmo?
08:18:47 <Jaymzz> The answer simply is
08:18:58 <Jaymzz> #info We have not announced official Sailfish support for Cosmo
08:19:56 <Jaymzz> I guess we can move on from this one as well

So i'm not shure  

Best regards Gabriel
Amongst many other Computers and Phones i'm using a Gemini PDA WIFI+G4 and a Cosmo Communicator both with German keyboard, all with SailfishOS and Debian ;-)

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 01:44:37 pm »
Well, there's always the chance that I am wrong....

But we shall see.....

In meantime, I am enjoying my Cosmo....

MacBookPro

Artemys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2020, 04:42:03 am »
Well, there's always the chance that I am wrong....

But we shall see.....

In meantime, I am enjoying my Cosmo....

...why do they sell Cosmos saying with SF support, if there's no available version for it?... just like in case of Gemini, there also could've been released an older SF version ported for Cosmo, that can be upgraded later... for example SF 3.0, if it is already available.

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 07:43:21 am »
Quote from: Artemys
...why do they sell Cosmos saying with SF support, if there's no available version for it?... just like in case of Gemini, there also could've been released an older SF version ported for Cosmo, that can be upgraded later... for example SF 3.0, if it is already available.

I'm very much hoping that as soon as they release the Linux partitioning tool that they promised for last week and have repromised for this week in the last update, that those community members who know what they're up to will get properly started on making SF run on Cosmo. In my opinion it runs very well on the Gemini, and is now my main phone. If the Cosmo, with a newer Mediatek chip is capable of running a more recent kernel, then — my understanding is — it might be possible for them to port the full Sailfish X with Android support. I do hope so.

Anyway, looking forward to the soon-to-be-released linux partitioning tool ...

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2020, 08:50:44 am »

Actually, if you read Planet's statements, they say that they sell Gemini and Cosmo with Android support out of the box.......and the devices able to run with other OS's such as Sailfish and linux. They never say 'they' meaning Planet will necessarily provide the other OS's themselves. Big difference.

Planet is a very small company with very limited internal resources.
MacBookPro

Artemys

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2020, 03:39:09 pm »

Actually, if you read Planet's statements, they say that they sell Gemini and Cosmo with Android support out of the box.......and the devices able to run with other OS's such as Sailfish and linux. They never say 'they' meaning Planet will necessarily provide the other OS's themselves. Big difference.

heh... well... despite this I am pretty much sure, that a lot of people bought the Cosmo only because Sailfish will run on it. Anyway, I am also satisfied with the Gemini&SF combo (even now I am posting this on the Gemini - btw, @oesf admins, would it be possible to set this page so that it should not need reloading if browsing from Gemini with SF?  )

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2020, 03:50:48 pm »

heh... well... despite this I am pretty much sure, that a lot of people bought the Cosmo only because Sailfish will run on it. Anyway, I am also satisfied with the Gemini&SF combo (even now I am posting this on the Gemini - btw, @oesf admins, would it be possible to set this page so that it should not need reloading if browsing from Gemini with SF?  )

I agree that you and I and plenty of other people bought Cosmo or Gemini because they thought that Planet Computer is actually developing and providing us with other versions other OS's to use. But that is different from what Planet actually does. That is point I'm making.

In other words, it is clear there is a disconnect  between what we as users think and what Planet thinks/does......unfortunately, this becomes clear to us users after we purchase our devices....

As for your SF browser issue, unfortunately, not something I can assist with....maybe Varti or speculatrix can....
MacBookPro

mithrandir

• View Profile
    • http://www.mygnu.de
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 04:40:09 pm »
I agree that you and I and plenty of other people bought Cosmo or Gemini because they thought that Planet Computer is actually developing and providing us with other versions other OS's to use. But that is different from what Planet actually does. That is point I'm making.

In other words, it is clear there is a disconnect  between what we as users think and what Planet thinks/does......unfortunately, this becomes clear to us users after we purchase our devices....

As for your SF browser issue, unfortunately, not something I can assist with....maybe Varti or speculatrix can....
Also bought it to run Sailfish in the end and to replace my old N900. Debian will most probably not be usable for the phone use case, I suspect. Well, but knowing the timelines of the Gemini it has been clear that there won't be a Sailfish port in the beginning. At least for Gemini users this should not have been a surprise. We'll have to wait and to do parts on our own to get it running. Well, and to be honest, Planet never have promised more than that.

Hoping to get at least a Lineage OS within reasonable time, to be able to start using the Cosmo as a ((nearly)Google free) phone. Later on switching to Sailfish might be possible.

Anyways, has anybody seen the CODI interface parts needed for the port?

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2020, 03:35:21 pm »
The latest Indiegogo update states that Planet will be at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona and hope to show off Sailfish for the Cosmo there. So--although their statement is rather tentative--there are grounds for hope that this is being seriously worked on and will arrive in due course. For me the arrival of Sailfish for Cosmo will finally allow me to put the device to proper use. (And perhaps repurpose the Gemini to a Debian device--or pass it on to my son.)
Cheers,
Ian

idc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2020, 06:54:23 am »
Today's Indiegogo update announces (along with a picture) the existence of an early beta of Sailfish running on a Cosmo. Looking forward to eventual release!

SwordfishII

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2020, 12:11:27 pm »
Quote from: idc
Today's Indiegogo update announces (along with a picture) the existence of an early beta of Sailfish running on a Cosmo. Looking forward to eventual release!

Fingers crossed this version of sailfish (unlike the gemini) will support android apps.

Kamikaze Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 06:25:17 pm »
Here is the latest update from this wiki page for Gemini PDA. Sailfish OS for Cosmo suppose to be ported from this build. But even this build won't be finished.
https://together.jolla.com/question/186471/...-and-sailfishx/

Edit 2019-11-24
This will probable be my last edit in this wiki. We have Sailfish 3 version 3.2.0.14 for a while. Updating to new versions is easy with it. But I cannot see any progress. We still have no alien dalvik for the device, Jolla promised for 'Final phase'. I do not believe we will get it in future. But may be Jolla knows more secrets about it. And other features are still missing or buggy, here a partial list (answer calls with gemini is closed, switch microphone, screen orientation, apps orientation, battery drain with wifi, alarm not working). The device is good enough for playing around with sailfish only, but far from be a daily driver since 1.5 years.

Planet Computers says community will bring Sailfish OS to cosmo, and Jolla says the manufacture must start the process. They were all hoping other people to do the job.

aard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 10:54:02 am »
Quote from: Kamikaze Comet
Here is the latest update from this wiki page for Gemini PDA. Sailfish OS for Cosmo suppose to be ported from this build. But even this build won't be finished.
https://together.jolla.com/question/186471/...-and-sailfishx/

Edit 2019-11-24
This will probable be my last edit in this wiki. We have Sailfish 3 version 3.2.0.14 for a while. Updating to new versions is easy with it. But I cannot see any progress. We still have no alien dalvik for the device, Jolla promised for 'Final phase'. I do not believe we will get it in future. But may be Jolla knows more secrets about it. And other features are still missing or buggy, here a partial list (answer calls with gemini is closed, switch microphone, screen orientation, apps orientation, battery drain with wifi, alarm not working). The device is good enough for playing around with sailfish only, but far from be a daily driver since 1.5 years.

Planet Computers says community will bring Sailfish OS to cosmo, and Jolla says the manufacture must start the process. They were all hoping other people to do the job.

Jolla is very thin on resources since late 2015 when they almost went bankrupt, and most of us left. There wasn't that much change since then, and a lot of issues from back then, including a lot of security issues, remain unfixed. I wouldn't recommend running Sailfish on a daily use device, especially if you care about security.