Author Topic: Mobile version?  (Read 4344 times)

Vistaus

• View Profile
Mobile version?
« on: January 25, 2020, 10:49:58 am »
It would be great if the forum would get a mobile skin. Not the one that's currently available, but a modern mobile version.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mobile version?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 01:27:03 pm »
The current forum software is outdated and not suitable for mobile devices, and it is unfortunately very difficult to use on them. Due to its age there are also no themes for mobile devices. We have been since a long time planning a move to a more recent forum software with a mobile-friendly theme. Based on the availability of database conversion scripts for our board, the current candidate is SMF, which seems to have a good selection of responsive themes, too. Our host has recently installed an updated version of PHP, so now we meet the minimum software requirement for the new forum. We'll keep you informed about any update.

Varti
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 01:35:05 pm by Varti »
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Vistaus

• View Profile
Mobile version?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 10:10:11 am »
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for working on this request! SMF is pretty great software, can't wait for SMF and the mobile version to arrive, but take all the time you need to migrate everything properly

szopin

• View Profile
Mobile version?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 01:05:35 pm »
If not full mobile version (which will probably be not great on cosmo) maybe at least rss feeds can be turned on per thread, so custom apps could consume those for device specific displaying?

Vistaus

• View Profile
Mobile version?
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 06:37:51 pm »
Any progress on this? Not trying to pressure you guys, I'm just curious

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mobile version?
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 03:56:05 am »
Quote from: Vistaus
Any progress on this? Not trying to pressure you guys, I'm just curious
I have currently setup the forum on a separate database and applied a mobile theme, whichi looks good on both my PC and the Gemini. I'm currently checking the database conversion which stops while trying to convert some of the birthdates, the PHP conversion script needs some tweaks before it manages to convert all the database items. More news will follow, but at least it's progressing

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Vistaus

• View Profile
Mobile version?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2020, 04:42:16 pm »
Great to hear! Hope you'll get everything working soon! Thanks for the update (and quick response)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mobile version?
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 12:17:59 pm »
Small update: the conversion script now mostly works. All the members, subforums and threads are correctly created and imported, though the posts and avatars are still missing, the latter seems to be a copy permission issue; I'm now looking at these two issues.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Vistaus

• View Profile
Mobile version?
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 06:42:44 pm »
Quote from: Varti
Small update: the conversion script now mostly works. All the members, subforums and threads are correctly created and imported, though the posts and avatars are still missing, the latter seems to be a copy permission issue; I'm now looking at these two issues.

Varti

Thanks a lot for the update!  It's nice to hear that a lot of progress has been made lately

Vistaus

• View Profile
Mobile version?
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2020, 06:52:23 am »
How are things progressing with the new software?

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mobile version?
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 08:41:42 pm »
Quote from: Vistaus
How are things progressing with the new software?
I have not answered earlier since I wanted to wait until I could announce the following: the migration procedure have now been fixed and the new version of the forum has been tested by myself! Everything works as expected; all the other admins and mods will now test it, just in case I have missed any remaining issue.

Once these last checks will be done, I'll proceed with the upgrade on the current database, the procedure itself takes roughly an hour.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

Vistaus

• View Profile
Mobile version?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 05:30:01 am »
Yay, that's very good news!