Author Topic: VPN on the Cosmo  (Read 1566 times)

TimW

• View Profile
VPN on the Cosmo
« on: February 01, 2020, 10:50:15 am »
I connect to several VPNs. Two are L2TP PSK and one is OpenVPN. All 3 work perfectly on my Gemini , laptop and other android devices but the Cosmo will not connect to either of the L2TP ones. OpenVPN works but not L2TP.
Has anyone had success with VPNs other than OpenVPN?

TimW

• View Profile
VPN on the Cosmo
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 04:01:11 pm »
After leaving it alone for a few hours it's now working.  I'm not sure why it didn't work this morning. Normally I'd blame the VPN server or a typo during configuration but I was able to connect at will with my laptop and Gemini at the time, and I didn't edit the config in between.
The Cosmo does struggle to maintain its wifi connection more than the Gemini does, and I did reboot the Cosmo at some point. Maybe the flaky connection this morning interfered, or the reboot fixed something. I'll post again if it turns out to be unstable but it's been pretty good since I finally managed to connect.

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
    • http://
VPN on the Cosmo
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 10:32:02 am »
FWIW, Wireguard works well for me.

TimW

• View Profile
VPN on the Cosmo
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 06:07:29 am »
Quote from: Dickon Hood
FWIW, Wireguard works well for me.
Thanks for letting me know. I'll have a go at upgrading the VPN server that I have access to. Unfortunately I don't have control over all of them.

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
    • http://
VPN on the Cosmo
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 07:21:11 am »
Just be aware that for some reason the Android version defaults to a very small MTU.  It's worth bumping it up to the usual 1420 default, as Google's Play Store (including app updates and installations) don't work on the one (1280, IIRC) it chooses.