Author Topic: Newly installed Debian: no Bluetooth  (Read 7193 times)

manthis

• View Profile
Newly installed Debian: no Bluetooth
« on: March 16, 2020, 06:20:25 pm »
Hi,

I have installed Debian provided by Planet Computers last night but unfortunately I can’t get the Bluetooth on to connect my mouse. Am I the only one to have this issue?

Another question: I hate KDE. Is it possible to install Gnome pour any other graphical environment ?

Thanks

vldmr

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 06:46:11 pm »
Quote from: manthis
Another question: I hate KDE. Is it possible to install Gnome pour any other graphical environment ?

Usually with debian on any device with correctly configured apt sources you should be able to install any graphical environment. Just use you favorite package manager. I myself am not fond of either kde or gnome, I think suckless should work the best

Kamikaze Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 12:46:37 am »
This version of Linux we get is more of a proof of concept than an actual usable OS. It's more like "see! we have linux working on our phone" thing. From my understanding, it's missing drivers for a lot of hardware. I do not recommend using it extensively because the UI can burn images on our OLED screen. At this stage, I don't see the battery management turning off the screen on it's own. The screen is on even if you close the phone.

Bernhard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 08:01:34 am »
Quote from: Kamikaze Comet
This version of Linux we get is more of a proof of concept than an actual usable OS. It's more like "see! we have linux working on our phone" thing. From my understanding, it's missing drivers for a lot of hardware. I do not recommend using it extensively because the UI can burn images on our OLED screen. At this stage, I don't see the battery management turning off the screen on it's own. The screen is on even if you close the phone.

I thought only the cover display is OLED? The cover display does not work at all with Debian currently.

It is indeed an issue that Debian can't be properly suspended at the moment, but I'm using Debian quite happily for hacking a bit Elixir at the moment.

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 11:05:18 am »
Hi,

I have installed Debian provided by Planet Computers last night but unfortunately I can’t get the Bluetooth on to connect my mouse. Am I the only one to have this issue?
Hey, have you tried the following which worked for my Debian on Gemini?
https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=35142
Gemini PDA x27

mibry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 06:52:30 pm »
Quote from: gemini_user_j
Hi,

Wont work, the cosmo gemian linux doesn't have bluetooth support in the kernel at present.

gemini_user_j

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 10:43:11 am »
Quote from: mibry
Hi,

Wont work, the cosmo gemian linux doesn't have bluetooth support in the kernel at present.
Sounds like an uphill battle, good luck.
Gemini PDA x27

mibry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 12:30:49 pm »
Quote from: mibry
Hi,

Sounds like an uphill battle, good luck.

I hope not. Given the way the gemini linux development went I think that the guys working on the kernel and gemian should be able to get it all running. Just going to take time. We need Planet to release the new boot loader which will allow the modem to be accessible by the kernel which should mean bt and the phone modem will accessible.

Kamikaze Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 04:30:50 pm »
Quote from: Bernhard

I thought only the cover display is OLED? The cover display does not work at all with Debian currently.

It is indeed an issue that Debian can't be properly suspended at the moment, but I'm using Debian quite happily for hacking a bit Elixir at the moment.

Wait, only the CoDi is OLED? The black level looks pretty good. Well, I guess I don't have to worry about burning images on it anymore.
But how such a small AMOLED on the CoDi consumes so much battery? It is insane.

Bernhard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 10:03:16 am »
Wait, only the CoDi is OLED? The black level looks pretty good. Well, I guess I don't have to worry about burning images on it anymore.
But how such a small AMOLED on the CoDi consumes so much battery? It is insane.

I think the display itself consumes almost no battery. But the CoDi is a computer on its own. I do not know the details about the software on it but if regulary polls the main computer for events then this could explain the battery usage. The good news is that this software can be optimized so Planet can supply us with less battery hungry updates for the CoDi software.

manthis

• View Profile
Re: Newly installed Debian: no Bluetooth
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 03:44:11 pm »
Just updated to v2 and still no Bluetooth. Probably still not in kernel. Has anyone managed to?

drbytes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 04:48:03 am »
There is a mediatek module but the kernel does not have the appropriate drivers compiled, either in-kernel or as a module. I tried last week but gave up due to time constraints (actual development work that needed to be done). Might try later this week, it's definitely possible, just need to get into it.

manthis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2020, 05:58:48 am »
Yep I actually saw that too after I posted here. I will give it a try if I can but I also think it’s doable. Just need some time to do it. And I will cause I really need it. Will keep you posted if there is some progress.

kaim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2020, 07:32:19 am »
Any news with Blietooth?

Could one may be drop a link to that Mediateck module so I can also have a look at it...

TheNetEffect

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 07:37:16 am »
I am also looking for the bluetooth support - still seems missing