Author Topic: Update available - v20 - 26th March 2020  (Read 12940 times)

dukestah

• View Profile
Update available - v20 - 26th March 2020
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 04:02:06 am »
Updated yesterday, went thru smoothly but no fingerprints anymore.
Started to update the CODI but now it got stuck at 90% for more than 20 minutes now. I was really looking forward to this update since before it felt too much early adopter to me.

ZimbiX

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/ZimbiX
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 07:03:47 am »
Have they removed the update, or do they roll out updates gradually? It's not coming up for me. I'm on Cosmo-9.0-Planet-01182020-V19

VAMM

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 09:35:12 am »
Quote from: ZimbiX
Have they removed the update, or do they roll out updates gradually? It's not coming up for me. I'm on Cosmo-9.0-Planet-01182020-V19

They might have pulled it. There is a new update on Indiegogo stating there are problems with the update and that they are working on a hotfix patch. They are also recommending that people do not install the update at this time.

From Planet Computers' Indiegogo campaign:
Cosmo Android 9 V20 firmware update issues

We have seen report of problems with the Android 9 V20 firmware update. We are looking at the issues and will try to provide a hotfix as soon as possibe. Please hold off from downloading the V20 update at the momemnt.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Team Cosmo
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:37:08 am by VAMM »

cnavarro

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 02:39:33 pm »
Quote from: VAMM
Quote from: ZimbiX

They might have pulled it. There is a new update on Indiegogo stating there are problems with the update and that they are working on a hotfix patch. They are also recommending that people do not install the update at this time.

From Planet Computers' Indiegogo campaign:
Cosmo Android 9 V20 firmware update issues

We have seen report of problems with the Android 9 V20 firmware update. We are looking at the issues and will try to provide a hotfix as soon as possibe. Please hold off from downloading the V20 update at the momemnt.

Best regards,

Team Cosmo

it works fine for me

KMM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 02:45:53 pm »
it works fine for me

Yes, it seems to work fine for me too. No noticeable improvements for me, though.

Kamikaze Comet

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 07:48:25 pm »
I updated mine. I like the newly added features such as auto virtual keyboard after screen rotation. But overall this update broke my phone. A lot of the functions that were good before no longer works. I have rebooted my phone many times. If it persists, I think I might have to factory reset my phone.

PNuT

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 12:47:10 am »
Quote from: cnavarro
it works fine for me

When I looked through my battery usage yesterday it looked like it had shutdown for a while so I suspect something isn't quite right!

Pikku-iikka

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 03:50:47 am »
Quite weird really, how differently the Cosmo can behave. I've just begun my 5th day with the device, and haven't experienced a single random reboot nor freeze yet. It is working surprisingly well, before and after the V20 update. Could the reason lie somewhere what I did in the first place, e.g. did not mind about the warnings, but disabled most Google services (leaving the 'Play' things only). Then installed Nova Launcher and a few essential apps for my use. I'm very satisfied.
Pikku-iikka (alias Little Ike - 194 cm / 130 kg)
Planet Cosmo Communicator
Samsung Note 8, Jolla Phone (Sailfish), Nokia N9 (Meego)
Raspberry Pi 4B / RetroPie setup emulating Amiga.

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 03:55:51 am »
Quote from: Pikku-iikka
Quite weird really, how differently the Cosmo can behave. I've just begun my 5th day with the device, and haven't experienced a single random reboot nor freeze yet. It is working surprisingly well, before and after the V20 update. Could the reason lie somewhere what I did in the first place, e.g. did not mind about the warnings, but disabled most Google services (leaving the 'Play' things only). Then installed Nova Launcher and a few essential apps for my use. I'm very satisfied.

Same here with V20. I also have pretty much turned OFF all Google stuff except the Play store, and only things that I have observed so far with V20 was the fingerprint retraining thing and disabling the voice assistant.

Anyway, someone reported problem with NFC, haven't had a chance to try that yet. And I also hope that Planet fixes that Bluefrag for real, since they only brought Cosmo up to january patch level.

aard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 06:29:54 am »
Since updating to V20 (before the warning got out) I'm now at my 3rd unexpected reboot, and just had it shut off without wanting to turn on for about half an hour. So I guess I can confirm that it broke stuff :)

SwordfishII

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 03:36:14 pm »
V20 fix requires a FULL factory reset and manual update to v21..wtf

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 03:40:43 pm »
Quote from: SwordfishII
V20 fix requires a FULL factory reset and manual update to v21..wtf

They say they are trying to create a more generic solution, but if you need urgent fix this one is for you...

I haven't personally ran into any of the mentioned issues expect the fingerprint thing, so I can wait for a while.

Although, having said that, is there any way to roll back to V19?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 03:45:20 pm by Zarhan »

maki.jouni

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 03:29:29 am »
I haven't using fingerprints and my CoDi is totally disabled. I have no issues at all.

I think it was once rebootet by itself because CoDi were on again. (It's enabled as default after reboot)
Cosmo Communicator (Fin/Swe), Mix2, Sony Xperia XZ & Z3, Nokia N900, Nokia PARSA, HTC Touch Pro, Qtek 9100, Nokia 6600 & 6210 & 2110, Mobira Talkman

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2020, 01:21:03 pm »
Quote from: Yagiza
After the upadate, GooglePay says that contactless payment is not availabe anymore.

You can apply manually the patch provided by Planet. Mine didn't work as explained in my other post here. ( https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=36212 ).
Maybe because I"ve rooted my phone and even restoring the non rooted image , the error had persisted.

So I' ve downgraded to v19.

See below  the email from Planet  about the update ( For some users it worked ):

Dear Cosmo backers!

After we released the v20 firmware update for the Cosmo Communicator early
last week, some of you alerted us about problems with the device.
We quickly halted the update procedure and investigated the update.

We found a misconfiguration of the Google GMS module which lead Google to assume
that your device is not certified. As a result certain applications such as
Google Pay, Netflix and the fingerprint module didn't work as expected.

We worked around the clock to fix the issue together with the team in China
and we now have a firmware update that fixes the reported issues.

The fix requires a factory reset and for this reason we haven't created an over-the-air update at this stage, but a manual one. People who urgently need to restore their device can now do it, while we try to create on a more generic solution.

If you have updated your Cosmo to version v20 and are experiencing these issues, please make sure that you first backup your data and then follow this guide
to update the firmware manually:

http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/FotaUpdate_v20

We are very sorry about this issue and we are taking further steps to avoid
this kind of issue in the future. In particular we will soon release our own
firmware update software which will replace the current one and give
us greater flexibility to handle firmware updates.

Stay safe!

Best regards,

Team Cosmo

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2020, 01:48:42 pm »
Quote from: cam1965
So I' ve downgraded to v19.

How do you downgrade (without losing data)?