Author Topic: V21 firmware  (Read 2231 times)

TomJ

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
V21 firmware
« on: March 30, 2020, 07:33:19 am »
Having rushed in to install v20, I installed the v21 to get the fixes.  Unfortunately now I don't seem to have mobile data. Also, I can't work out how to persuade it to restore my device backup from Google Drive.

Rosie

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 47
    • View Profile
    • http://
V21 firmware
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:26:23 am »
Quote from: TomJ
Having rushed in to install v20, I installed the v21 to get the fixes.  Unfortunately now I don't seem to have mobile data. Also, I can't work out how to persuade it to restore my device backup from Google Drive.

Ah.  That is EXACTLY the comment I was looking for.  Same issue here and not found a fix for it yet I'm afraid.  I've double checked the APN settings and generally fiddled around with the APN type parameter.  Usual series of changes and reboots but my Cosmo is resolutely sulking at the world.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Rosie

PNuT

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 45
    • View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 09:54:56 am »
I have mobile data on both my sims....

wifi was a bit iffy after I reset it.

cannot seem to get auto rotate to work at all now though....

TomJ

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:16:20 am »
@PNuT Did you upgrade via v20?

I've just tried restarting, then turning off and back on; no joy.  Tapping the button in quick settings gets the tap acknowlegment but no colour change. In settings there's a Mobile data is off prompt; tapping turn on makes it disappear for a few seconds, when it returns.  I've emailled hello@planetcom.co.uk to ask about it; it would probably help if others with the same problem did the same.

Rosie

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 47
    • View Profile
    • http://
V21 firmware
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 10:21:15 am »
Quote from: TomJ
@PNuT Did you upgrade via v20?

I've just tried restarting, then turning off and back on; no joy.  Tapping the button in quick settings gets the tap acknowlegment but no colour change. In settings there's a Mobile data is off prompt; tapping turn on makes it disappear for a few seconds, when it returns.  I've emailled hello@planetcom.co.uk to ask about it; it would probably help if others with the same problem did the same.

Sorted now.  Switch the phone off, pop the SIM out, switch the phone on, switch the phone off, pop the SIM back in, switch the phone on.  Let your Cosmo pick up the settings from the 'new' SIM.

Rosie
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 10:22:15 am by Rosie »

PNuT

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 45
    • View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 10:41:13 am »
Quote from: TomJ
@PNuT Did you upgrade via v20?

Yes

Tom D

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 44
    • View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 11:51:35 am »
Quote from: Rosie
Quote from: TomJ
@PNuT Did you upgrade via v20?

I've just tried restarting, then turning off and back on; no joy.  Tapping the button in quick settings gets the tap acknowlegment but no colour change. In settings there's a Mobile data is off prompt; tapping turn on makes it disappear for a few seconds, when it returns.  I've emailled hello@planetcom.co.uk to ask about it; it would probably help if others with the same problem did the same.

Sorted now.  Switch the phone off, pop the SIM out, switch the phone on, switch the phone off, pop the SIM back in, switch the phone on.  Let your Cosmo pick up the settings from the 'new' SIM.

Rosie

A common "feature" of the Cosmo is that often you need to restart the phone if you have made a setting change.

Vistaus

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 138
    • View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 12:28:17 pm »
Quote from: Tom D
Quote from: Rosie
Quote from: TomJ
@PNuT Did you upgrade via v20?

I've just tried restarting, then turning off and back on; no joy.  Tapping the button in quick settings gets the tap acknowlegment but no colour change. In settings there's a Mobile data is off prompt; tapping turn on makes it disappear for a few seconds, when it returns.  I've emailled hello@planetcom.co.uk to ask about it; it would probably help if others with the same problem did the same.

Sorted now.  Switch the phone off, pop the SIM out, switch the phone on, switch the phone off, pop the SIM back in, switch the phone on.  Let your Cosmo pick up the settings from the 'new' SIM.

Rosie

A common "feature" of the Cosmo is that often you need to restart the phone if you have made a setting change.

Not in my experience.

TomJ

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 33
    • View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 01:23:37 pm »
Quote from: Rosie
Quote from: TomJ
I've just tried restarting, then turning off and back on; no joy.  Tapping the button in quick settings gets the tap acknowlegment but no colour change. In settings there's a Mobile data is off prompt; tapping turn on makes it disappear for a few seconds, when it returns.  I've emailled hello@planetcom.co.uk to ask about it; it would probably help if others with the same problem did the same.

Sorted now.  Switch the phone off, pop the SIM out, switch the phone on, switch the phone off, pop the SIM back in, switch the phone on.  Let your Cosmo pick up the settings from the 'new' SIM.

Rosie


Boom, sorted.  Many thanks Rosie.

Now to the second part of the puzzle, arguably more of my own making: having backed up to Google Drive via Settings - System - Backup, how do I restore?  The Cosmo's new startup procedure doesn't seem to have ask to restore a backup.

Kamikaze Comet

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 28
    • View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 10:12:14 pm »
Quote from: PNuT
I have mobile data on both my sims....

wifi was a bit iffy after I reset it.

cannot seem to get auto rotate to work at all now though....

Wait, this phone actually should have auto rotate? I have never made it work. I thought it doesn't have this feature.

PNuT

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 45
    • View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 10:35:27 pm »
Quote from: Kamikaze Comet
Quote from: PNuT
I have mobile data on both my sims....

wifi was a bit iffy after I reset it.

cannot seem to get auto rotate to work at all now though....

Wait, this phone actually should have auto rotate? I have never made it work. I thought it doesn't have this feature.

Yes, I  found out why it wasn't working! it has two different settings for it.

1 display- advanced-auto rotate screen

2 app bar-planet-app bar-settings(next to selectable apps)-uncheck force

& hey presto

Isurus65

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 19
    • View Profile
    • http://
V21 firmware
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 02:52:44 am »
Just updated to V21 following Planet Computer instructions after fingerprints failed to work on V20.

I noticed that Android Security Update is now 5 July 2019. I thought V20 had a more recent security update, but I can't remember now.

Fingerprint error seems to be fixed, but every time  I open the Cosmo after it has gone into sleep mode (closing cover) for a few minutes, I find that the system has either shut down or rebooted.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 09:14:31 am by Isurus65 »
Previous PDA's: Toshiba e740; Toshiba e755; Psion 3c; Psion 5; HP Jornada 680; HP Jornada 720; Palm Tungsten T3; Palm LifeDrive; Nokia E90 ; Gemini PDA

clasqm

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 5
    • View Profile
    • http://tinyurl.com/profclasquin
V21 firmware
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 10:36:35 am »
Quote from: PNuT
Yes, I  found out why it wasn't working! it has two different settings for it.

1 display- advanced-auto rotate screen

2 app bar-planet-app bar-settings(next to selectable apps)-uncheck force

& hey presto

Also, there is Home Settings - Allow Homescreen rotation.

JDM957

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
V21 firmware
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 12:06:10 am »
Quote from: Isurus65
Just updated to V21 following Planet Computer instructions after fingerprints failed to work on V20.

I noticed that Android Security Update is now 5 July 2019. I thought V20 had a more recent security update, but I can't remember now.

Fingerprint error seems to be fixed, but every time  I open the Cosmo after it has gone into sleep mode (closing cover) for a few minutes, I find that the system has either shut down or rebooted.

Still running V20 here and I can confirm that the security patch level is:
January 5, 2020
on mine.

MonkeyControl

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 78
    • View Profile
    • http://
V21 firmware
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 02:00:10 am »
Quote from: Rosie
Sorted now.  Switch the phone off, pop the SIM out, switch the phone on, switch the phone off, pop the SIM back in, switch the phone on.  Let your Cosmo pick up the settings from the 'new' SIM.

Rosie
I think I saw this problem myself, and I think I managed to fix it by randomly crashing around in 'settings/network-&-internet/mobile-network' and 'settings/network-&-internet/SIM-cards' and 'something/something/something' turning things off and on while occasionally cycling the power, and then moving onto something else entirely before I made a note of what I did.  
I think I prefer your method.