Author Topic: V19 Firmware Battery Life  (Read 2639 times)

a1astair

• View Profile
V19 Firmware Battery Life
« on: May 11, 2020, 08:03:05 pm »
I have resisted updating my Android firmware and am still on V19.

Up until a few days ago, I always got a day's battery life - even with CODI enabled.

Now if I leave it unplugged sitting there doing nothing (WiFi on as normal), I can pick up my phone and it isn't responding. Turns out the battery has drained and it has turned itself off. I estimate it is losing 25% charge in a little over 2 hours.

I haven't changed anything with the setup on the phone - nor have I installed any new apps.

Any ideas or is this just another Planet quality & reliability issue?

mmbika

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 08:29:01 pm »
Quote from: a1astair

Up until a few days ago, I always got a day's battery life - even with CODI enabled.

Now if I leave it unplugged sitting there doing nothing (WiFi on as normal), I can pick up my phone and it isn't responding. Turns out the battery has drained and it has turned itself off. I estimate it is losing 25% charge in a little over 2 hours.

I haven't changed anything with the setup on the phone - nor have I installed any new apps.

I reluctantly, but finally sold my Cosmo with losses around $500 ... and bought an oldish Sony VAIO P ... at least works as a computer andI need not worry about fixing a thousand things on my own ... it doesn't have any fake hardware inhibits preventing it delivering what is has capacity to  couldn't wait for till Cosmo & co. could get their acts right and starts delivering what was promised ... ever if they do,btw ...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:56:11 am by mmbika »

NormMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 02:00:09 pm »

On mine, there is something that occasionally causes the CPU to max out and the battery drains very fast.

There are a couple of tell-tales for this:
* Temperature goes way up in the area near the fingerprint reader
* Screen refresh rate is impacted, looks very jerky when sliding from one desktop to another (or any scrolling, really)

To counteract these, I always check if scrolling looks jerky before I put my phone away, and I have set up temperature alerts.  

Between these two measures I usually catch the problem within a few minutes of whenever it starts (you can see very clearly when it starts in GSamBattery's charts, the CPU goes to max, the battery drains fast and the temp starts creeping up).

If I catch it early the battery drains by just a few percent capacity, so I still get a full day on one charge.

This happens around 0.5-2x / day, ish.

Very much looking forward to the battery improvements in V22, whenever that comes.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 02:02:14 pm by NormMonkey »

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 06:26:12 pm »
I'm turning CODI off to see if that is the problem now. There are no obvious applications hogging the CPU time.

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 08:02:11 am »
Well battery started behaving itself, but now my CODI is broken. Looks like a hairline crack has appeared under the glass. It never got mistreated, so no reason for it to break. I recall other people having the same issue?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 08:03:03 am by a1astair »

a1astair

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 03:54:09 am »
So I have finally given up on my Cosmo. Broken CODI and pathetic battery life. Went back to my Gemini and had forgotten how good the battery life was. 10 hours on with WiFi and mobile data enabled, yet still over 70% battery left! Waiting for Planet to advise returns procedure to get my Cosmo fixed.

ianisthewalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 01:34:06 pm »
Well battery started behaving itself, but now my CODI is broken. Looks like a hairline crack has appeared under the glass. It never got mistreated, so no reason for it to break. I recall other people having the same issue?

I am now in the same boat. took it out of my pocket and the lcd looks SMASHED. the glass is fine. something must be structurally off in there for it to get that much stress... from a pocket....

Please let me know how it goes with planet. I just contacted them as well, and I will keep you in the loop with mine. :-)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 01:37:53 pm by ianisthewalrus »

PJS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 11:09:39 am »
LOL guys...

Geez I thought it was my special bad luck!

Several weeks ago I noticed the exact same thing - a hairline crack in the CODI
LCD screen *under* the touchscreen glass, rendering it dead.  

Mind you, the touchscreen is still working - putting me in airplane mode or
turning on the flashlight at all the "best" times.

This would all seem to indicate a structural problem in supporting the LCD
screen.  Mine too hasn't suffered any abuse, it's sole 1m fall on concrete
happened last November and the Cosmo never showed any issues.

Between the CODI and the foggy camera lens, the exterior of the Cosmo nearly
useless.

:/

At least I have company.    

Thanks,

PJS