Author Topic: problem accessing forum (via IPv6?)  (Read 3752 times)

Frederik

• View Profile
problem accessing forum (via IPv6?)
« on: March 29, 2020, 09:03:59 am »
I seem to have problems accessing this forum via IPv6. When I try to open any forum, I only one line in firefox: "Could not determine your IP address". Toggling network.dns.disableIPv6 in about config and reloading the page works around this problem and I can browse without problem. Anyone else seeing this problem? Can it be fixed? I have experienced this problem on a number of devices, including the Cosmo but it only started a few weeks ago (can't remember exactly when).

Disabling IPv6 in firefox is not a satisfying solution...

Thanks, Frederik

kidietz

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 02:31:03 pm »
Quote from: Frederik
I seem to have problems accessing this forum via IPv6. When I try to open any forum, I only one line in firefox: "Could not determine your IP address".
I have the same issue.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 03:54:49 pm »
Our host is planning a migration of the forum to a new server, which will probably fix this issue, but before we can do that we need to finish the forum's migration to a newer software, since the current one doesn't run on the PHP version installed on the new server. Hopefully we'll finish the migration soon, afterwards we'll see if  the IPV6 issue is fixed. Please bear with us until we finish the forum's migration.

Thanks
Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

Frederik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 01:22:22 pm »
Quote from: Varti
Our host is planning a migration of the forum to a new server, which will probably fix this issue, but before we can do that we need to finish the forum's migration to a newer software, since the current one doesn't run on the PHP version installed on the new server. Hopefully we'll finish the migration soon, afterwards we'll see if  the IPV6 issue is fixed. Please bear with us until we finish the forum's migration.

Ok, thanks for the update. I appreciate the migration might not currently be the highest priority. Happy to wait a bit as long as it is on the list (which it sounds like it is).

Thanks,
Frederik

AP756

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 03:42:21 pm »
Another finding / interim solution: For me it's possible to connect to the forum using my VPN-account

Bye for now  Fred
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 03:42:56 pm by AP756 »

Dickon Hood

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 10:57:26 am »
I've been off this site since 23rd March (apparently) because I had no idea what the trouble was.

May I suggest amending the error message to at least mention IPv6?  It's pretty hopeless.

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 06:16:46 am »
Quote from: Dickon Hood
I've been off this site since 23rd March (apparently) because I had no idea what the trouble was.

May I suggest amending the error message to at least mention IPv6?  It's pretty hopeless.
Thanks for you suggestion, I have now updated the error message to a more informative one.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!

AP756

• View Profile
Re: problem accessing forum (via IPv6?)
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 09:36:07 am »
A side effect of the forum update: IPv6 now works (at least for me). Problem solved :-), thanks Varti

Bye for now  Fred

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: problem accessing forum (via IPv6?)
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 12:47:55 pm »
A side effect of the forum update: IPv6 now works (at least for me). Problem solved :-), thanks Varti
That's great to hear! IPV6 support was actually one of the reasons for the upgrade; so far we had not a single reported issue about IPV6.
Thanks for this confirmation.

Varti
and many other Zauruses!