Author Topic: Preview version of Sailfish for Cosmo  (Read 71959 times)

idc

• View Profile
Preview version of Sailfish for Cosmo
« on: October 27, 2020, 08:10:34 am »
I was corresponding with Davide Guidi, Planet Computers' CTO, about Sailfish. He has sent me the following link to download a preview of Sailfish for Cosmo, and encouraged me to make it available to interested parties. Note he mentions that screen rotation is broken — but I hope maybe people more technical than me might be able to fix this relatively easily?

Along with the recent announcement about making the CoDi work with Linux, I hope this might be welcome positive news for other enthusiasts for a google-free Cosmo!
All the best,
Ian

You can find the sailfish image for cosmo here: https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci/cosmocom-ci/-/jobs/432617888/artifacts/file/sfe-cosmocom-3.2.1.20-devel-20200211/sailfishos-cosmocom-release-3.2.1.20-devel-20200211.zip

Installation is a bit tricky, You need first to install Debian Linux as for http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Linux_for_Cosmo.

After that you have to:

- untar sailfishos-cosmocom-release-3.2.1.20-devel-20200211.tar into the Debian file system itself, in a folder called ".stowaways/sailfishos” in the root folder. Basically it should be in /.stowaways

- flash hybris-boot.img in an empty boot partition, such as EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_4, for example dd if=hybris-boot.img of=/dev/disk/by-partlabel/EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_4 bs=1M

That should be it, you should now be able to boot to Sailfish by selecting EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_4 at boot time.
This should be all, but let me know if you run into troubles.

As far as I remember, it might take a couple of reboot to finally boot Sailfish correctly. Also, keep in mind that it’s an early release, in particular screen rotation is broken.

The project is open source, feel free to forward the link to anybody that might be interested!

Kind regards,
Davide

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Preview version of Sailfish for Cosmo
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 09:48:40 am »
Thanks for sharing the link and the news, I have mirrored the archive here, just in case:

https://www.oesf.org/repository/misc/sailfishos-cosmocom-release-3.2.1.20-devel-20200211.zip

Varti

Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

oida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 11:15:03 am »
8 month old? hmmmm

szopin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 12:54:24 pm »
8 month old? hmmmm

There are some packages here from July (around the last debian update?):
http://repo.merproject.org/obs/nemo:/devel:/hw:/planet:/cosmocom/sailfish_latest_armv7hl/armv7hl/
it's devel so might be buggier, but worth a try (nothing for cosmocom in testing sadly)

EDIT: Manually updating with 'ssu re 3.4.0.24|version --dup' reboots around 70ish% and results in unbootable sfos, trying 3.3.0.16 right now, maybe updated kernel etc from the link above will help, looking at the geminipda initial updates it took some juggling hw-adaptation repos, so maybe this way
Sadly same with 3.3.0, updating restarts homescreen around 72% and reboot loop from there
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 01:03:53 pm by szopin »

szopin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 03:07:07 pm »
To get lanscape homescreen you can use this (hardcoding landscape as the hack for All orientations won't work without gyro/accelerometer):
Code: [Select]
devel-su sed -e "s/return allowed/return Orientation.LandscapeInverted/" -i  /usr/lib/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Silica/Page.qml

gabs5807

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 08:22:38 am »
I was corresponding with Davide Guidi, Planet Computers' CTO, about Sailfish. He has sent me the following link to download a preview of Sailfish for Cosmo, and encouraged me to make it available to interested parties. Note he mentions that screen rotation is broken %u2014 but I hope maybe people more technical than me might be able to fix this relatively easily?

Along with the recent announcement about making the CoDi work with Linux, I hope this might be welcome positive news for other enthusiasts for a google-free Cosmo!
All the best,
Ian

You can find the sailfish image for cosmo here: https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci/cosmocom-ci/-/jobs/432617888/artifacts/file/sfe-cosmocom-3.2.1.20-devel-20200211/sailfishos-cosmocom-release-3.2.1.20-devel-20200211.zip

Installation is a bit tricky, You need first to install Debian Linux as for http://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Linux_for_Cosmo.

After that you have to:

- untar sailfishos-cosmocom-release-3.2.1.20-devel-20200211.tar into the Debian file system itself, in a folder called ".stowaways/sailfishos%u201D in the root folder. Basically it should be in /.stowaways

- flash hybris-boot.img in an empty boot partition, such as EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_4, for example dd if=hybris-boot.img of=/dev/disk/by-partlabel/EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_4 bs=1M

That should be it, you should now be able to boot to Sailfish by selecting EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_4 at boot time.
This should be all, but let me know if you run into troubles.

As far as I remember, it might take a couple of reboot to finally boot Sailfish correctly. Also, keep in mind that it%u2019s an early release, in particular screen rotation is broken.

The project is open source, feel free to forward the link to anybody that might be interested!

Kind regards,
Davide

Hello, it did not work for me on my cosmo :(.
This is what i have done as root on my installed debian:

root@cc:~ # mkdir -p /.stowaways/sailfishos
root@cc:~ # cd /.stowaways
root@cc:/.stowaways # wget https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci/cosmocom-ci/-/jobs/432617888/artifacts/file/sfe-cosmocom-3.2.1.20-devel-20200211/sailfishos-cosmocom-release-3.2.1.20-devel-20200211.zip
root@cc:/.stowaways # unzip sailfishos-cosmocom-release-3.2.1.20-devel-20200211.zip
root@cc:/.stowaways # cd sailfishos
root@cc:/.stowaways/sailfishos # tar xvjf ../sailfishos-cosmocom-release-3.2.1.20-devel-20200211.tar.bz2
root@cc:/.stowaways/sailfishos # ..
root@cc:/.stowaways # dd if=hybris-boot.img of=/dev/disk/by-partlabel/EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_4 bs=1M
root@cc:/.stowaways #

On the next boot i select the EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_4 entry.
The Planet logo is shown a few seconds then the cosom did a reboot.
The blue LED  above Tab did not light during this phase.
The screen did flash a short time but always stay black, also after startup ???.
Only on Codi i see the bootup (and i can do a reboot on Codi).
So i think Android is up and running(?)  :-\.

I tried booting from EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_4 several (ten or more) times, but the result is always the same.
Booting debian and Andriod works as expected .

many thanks for any hint  ;D.

gabs5807
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 11:20:29 am by gabs5807 »
Amongst many other Computers and Phones i'm using a Gemini PDA WIFI+G4 and a Cosmo Communicator both with German keyboard, all with SailfishOS and Debian ;-)

Piece_Maker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 07:50:25 pm »
I used a .sh script in the Planet recovery/bootloader thing to flash the hybris-boot.img (modified from the Debian one), and have tried both the 3.2.1.20-devel zip and the newer 3.4 one on the CI, both fail to go any further than the Planet logo boot splash! Curious to know if anyone's gotten either image working, I'd really love to try Sailfish on the Cosmo :)

EDIT: Attached my Cosmo_Installer_Sailfish.sh here as requested in the Telegram channel
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:58:52 am by Piece_Maker »

gabs5807

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 05:09:27 pm »
I used a .sh script in the Planet recovery/bootloader thing to flash the hybris-boot.img (modified from the Debian one), and have tried both the 3.2.1.20-devel zip and the newer 3.4 one on the CI, both fail to go any further than the Planet logo boot splash! Curious to know if anyone's gotten either image working, I'd really love to try Sailfish on the Cosmo :)

EDIT: Attached my Cosmo_Installer_Sailfish.sh here as requested in the Telegram channel
I copy your script to my planet 'cosmo custom installer' sdcard and added it to the './cosmo-customos-installer/list_installers.sh'.
Now i can flash the hybris-boot.img to the last 'empty' boot slot via the 'cosmo custom installer' sdcard (similar as described at planets debian installer instruction)  ;D.

But this is only for flashing the boot img, so the system from the tar archiv must be extracted on the running debian system  ::).

The sailfishos-cosmocom-release-3.2.1.20-devel-20200211.zip contains an 'extract' script which shows that the content of the tar file should go to '/data/stowaways/sailfishos/' directory (FS_DST="/data/.stowaways/sailfishos" and tar use the option '--numeric-owner').

But this also did not work on my cosmo. Selecting SAILFISH_OS the system shows the planet logo and the blue led is on, but did not continue booting  :-\.

So sorry - no :( no tests are possible so far ...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 06:50:15 am by gabs5807 »
Amongst many other Computers and Phones i'm using a Gemini PDA WIFI+G4 and a Cosmo Communicator both with German keyboard, all with SailfishOS and Debian ;-)

szopin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2020, 12:59:50 pm »
The data needs to be in /.stowaways/sailfishos/ so make sure it is extracted there (it will have similar structure like / with etc, home, lib and so on). /data from within sfos will be your gemian root folder btw and the init scripts will leave a bit of a mess there, though nothing breaks (except maybe automounting sd cards under dolphin, it will still get mounted but will not be accessible until you chmod /media again as sfos sets /data/media to 0660 (can probably be tweaked in the .rc script))

gabs5807

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2020, 05:42:36 pm »
The data needs to be in /.stowaways/sailfishos/ so make sure it is extracted there (it will have similar structure like / with etc, home, lib and so on). /data from within sfos will be your gemian root folder btw and the init scripts will leave a bit of a mess there, though nothing breaks (except maybe automounting sd cards under dolphin, it will still get mounted but will not be accessible until you chmod /media again as sfos sets /data/media to 0660 (can probably be tweaked in the .rc script))
@szopin thank you. I rsynced the files to /.stowaways/sailfishos a few hours ago and now sailfish starts as expected ;D.

The main Problem i have now is the missing support of the german HW keyboard 'FN' key. No '_', '-', '@',... so i could not setup various accounts.

Installing the terminal allows me to type the missing values and copy (from virtual keyboard) / paste (Ctrl-V on HW keyboard) them to the apps (or settings) ::).
But this is very cumbersome. At that the WLan password is not stored ???.
Btw. the terminal is upside down (rotated 180°).

May be i can find the package for the HW keyboard on the Gemini PDA repository - should be the same as for cosmo?.

Getting newer packages causes an error:
[root@cc ~]# version --dup
REFRESHING CACHE AND DOWNLOADING PACKAGES
Resolving: 100%
Error: This request will break your system!
This request will break your system!
This request will break your system!
Finished transaction (status=2, runtime=23328ms)
UPGRADE NOT COMPLETE - Retry 1 of 9
Waiting 1 seconds before retry.

rsyncing /.stowaways/sailfishos on debian to a backup directory should allow a fast reset if anythings going wrong ;).

Many thanks.

szopin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 04:19:01 am »
ToeTerm works fine in landscape inverted. For Fn key to work I'm afraid the kernel will need hacking like on Gemini, but to get the whole setup compilable under platform SDK android base is also needed and Planet never provided it, NotKit was using some planet private MTK BSP and without it rebuilding the whole thing with defconfigs for sfos 3.4 or with tweaks for flatpak support to run angelfish browser, or for tweaking HW keyboard is not possible, so we can either push for planet to release the android sourcetree so more people can try to work on it, or hope that NotKit will compile us a newer version with the needed tweaks

klampfenfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2020, 10:37:12 pm »
Sailfish is booting. but after a few seconds theSailfish deskop freezes and the device reboots with a black screen. I had to complete power-off the device to get rid of the black screen. Why it is crashing?
Tried to vers --dup to version 3.4 in chrooted sailfish under Linux, but terminal hangs on : REFRESHING CACHE AND DOWNLOADING PACKAGES

csenarew45

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 10:08:55 pm »
Would someone who has this working please post steps to install and run Sailfish.
Thanks

csenarew45

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 01:18:35 am »
I got the preview running. Any fixes for running in landscape or receiving MMS?

gabs5807

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 05:36:47 pm »
There is a newer version (3.4.0.24) on https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci/cosmocom-ci/-/jobs/879327635 (select 'passed' and download 'Job artifacts').
Landscape bug is not fixed  ::), also WiFi configuration is not persist - it seems that the blobs are still missing ::).