Author Topic: MNT Pocket Reform  (Read 3527 times)

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://github.com/greguu
MNT Pocket Reform
« on: July 13, 2022, 01:01:33 am »

This is quite exotic concept and design, but I like the modularity of it. Something to watch and perhaps put some money aside for.
Comes with a trackball and mechanical keyboard!

https://mntre.com/media/reform_md/2022-06-20-introducing-mnt-pocket-reform.html
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MNT Pocket Reform
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 03:18:09 am »
I have been following MNT's products development since they started to develop their first product, the VA2000 video card for the Amiga. Interesting stuff, the most attractive part is the CPU/RAM module, which means you'll be able to upgrade the device with a faster module in the future, providing that they will be available.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 12:38:26 am »
I am not expert on it, but the SODIMM SoM modules are an industry standard I believe, so there would be quite a wide option of modules and very likely future upgrade paths, even from other vendors. There are even PXA270 SODIMM available. More interesting is their hint at potential use of RISC-V modules in the future!

The M2 slot for a 5G module and SIM card slot make it also attractive. Recently got a Quectel RM502Q that has not seen much usage yet and would hopefully fit.

The small screen with the large bevel seems to be the only let down I can see, but perhaps this will change once a prototype is available.

Definitely interested. Just because its so odd.
Gemini-PDA (Sailfish X and Android) / LG Nexus 5 (Android 11) / Nokia N9 (MeeGo/Harmattan)
Sharp Zaurus C3100 (Borzoi) - Void Linux (voidz) Kernel 5.0.0 - Hardware (Buffalo CF LAN, DLink 660 CF WiFi, ASIX AX88772 USB Ethernet)

greguu

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 02:39:45 am »
The crowdfunding started last week on this model. https://www.crowdsupply.com/mnt/pocket-reform
I was playing with the thought of getting one, just because its odd and has a M2 WWAN slot.
but.. I can not get myself to spend so much for a device that is so slow and chunky.
Not sure.. anyone made the decision to get one ?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 03:08:52 am by greguu »

Varti

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 05:30:35 am »
I prefer devices with a more compact design, Planet's ones have IMHO the best balance between size and usability. I miss my Gemini, I still hope to be someday able to resurrect it, in alternative I might buy a secondhand Astro if I'll find one with an attractive price.

Varti
Planet Gemini PDA WiFi/LTE with Mediatek x27
SL-C1000 running Arch Linux ARM May2017, K30225 Wi-Fi CF Card, 64GB SDXC card
and many other Zauruses!

gidds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2023, 05:49:49 am »
I'm with Varti, I'm afraid. In my experience of using palmtops (almost three decades: various Psions, including a 5mx that I used until getting a Gemini, and now an Astro), all other things being equal, a machine which is with you is always better than one which isn't. (That's why so many photos are taken with phones these days, even by people who own much better cameras: phones are there when needed.)

An Astro fits into a trouser pocket. (I'd prefer a bit thinner and lighter, of course, but for me it's a reasonable compromise; the 5mx was bigger still.) And so it's always with me: at home, at work, on the train, visiting family and friends, wherever. That means it gets used.

A device the size of this MNT simply isn't carryable in the same way. That would make it far less useful for many of the things I'd want it for. I don't need a powerful mini-laptop at home; I already have a far better desktop machine. And what would be the point of a device for taking notes or looking up info, which isn't there at the point you suddenly find you have notes to take or info to look up?

Yes, upgradeability and use of standard components is great; but in this case the cost is heavy in terms of size and weight — much too heavy for me.

However, I'm sure it'll work for some people, and I wish them all the best for it!
   Andy/
Psion 3a → Psion 5 → Psion 5mx → Gemini → Astro

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 12:38:08 am »
At first I was intrigued by the Pocket Reform.

But the keyboard design just seems odd to me.....
Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/