Author Topic: Why does Planet use Mediatek CPU?  (Read 2362 times)

tac

• View Profile
Why does Planet use Mediatek CPU?
« on: January 16, 2021, 05:08:43 am »
This is a nonpoint for the Cosmo Communicator or the Astro Slide, but why was a Mediatek based processor chosen versus a Qualcomm? I ask because I would like to install lineage os, ubuntu touch or another alternative os on these devices. But, the CPU choice seems to be the impending factor. It has not been a simple task porting alternate os to planet devices, from what I can tell. Will all planet devices be based on MediaTek processors moving forward?

Daniel W

• View Profile
Re: Why does Planet use Mediatek CPU?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 07:02:23 pm »
For an authoritative answer, you would have to ask Planet themselves. The gist of my limited understanding is that fancy parts from, say, Qualcomm, are really expensive, if at all available, lest you can buy them in vast quantities, which Planet can't.

Someone making millions of phones, can buy each part a lot cheaper and have a way lower manufacturing cost, per device, than someone making a few thousand. Lest their products were to become silly expensive, Planet must thus try to get the best out of simpler parts and simpler manufacturing than the bigger brands. Also, when developing a phone, you can't just buy any SoC (System on Chip, containing, among other things, the CPU) you'd like. You must license the intellectual property (patents and stuff) involved, before you can even, legally, buy the chips. Licensing alone could probably eat Planets entire budget, so instead they are working with an ODM (Original Device Manufacturer, basically a phone factory) that already has the required licences.

An ODM having licenses for chips that are quite expensive, lest bought in big volumes, is likely going to be geared for big volumes and, thus, probably not interested in, or perhaps even capable of, making small production runs. So, the choices of a small vendor like Planet (with roughly a 0.001% market share) seems, to the best of my understanding, quite limited. They had to find an ODM they could afford, who could make small enough batches, cheaply enough to, at all, make their original Gemini possible.

Planet chose to work with East Aeon. We have been told they are only licensed to use MediaTek, so at least until Planet can find, afford, and wants to work with, another ODM, MediaTek it must be.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:03:58 pm by Daniel W »

spook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 07:50:04 pm »
Also a guess - but I'm assuming that now they have made the choice, it would be a lot harder to change. I assume most of their new devices have a very similar board design and schematics - which originally may have taken a lot of time and money to design. To change the CPU may require a serious redesign of the board, which might take them back to square 1...

ArchiMark

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 12:56:43 pm »
As I recall, Janko, PC, said in video that their Chinese fabricator, has contract with Mediatek.

This is due to the low volume production of this company as well as Planet.

There would need to be much higher production volume for them to use Qualcomm or other such vendors.

Silicon Valley Digerati - * Please see my Mini Laptops For Sale Listing *
Cosmo Communicator / One-Netbook One Mix Yoga 3S (Win 10/Manjaro 18)
Banana Pi Zero UMPC/Armbian
MacBookPro
Sold: C3200/N900/OQO/N5/Dell Mini9/Netwalker/UMID M1/