Author Topic: Holy Downgrade, Batman!  (Read 7154 times)

gymbo

• View Profile
Re: Holy Downgrade, Batman!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2021, 03:21:15 pm »
Well, it *does* seem that they have learned something from communication. The Q&A session videos were good and they are holding another one soon.

Also, the battery was upped back to 4000 mAh (with thickness almost 19 mm).

Yes, and at a higher voltage than for Gemini/Cosmo, so it is actually an upgrade...

But would really appreciate if they could upgrade (or at least get it closer to the original specs) the main processor again as well, which they haven't mentioned anything about at all in their latest update. As I've stated before, I personally don't really need the phone to be especially fast for anything except for "future-proofing". But that is not necessarily the case for everybody else, and I would like Planet to get as many customers as they can, in order for THEM to be as "future-proof" as possible as well... And it's not so that I don't WANT an as fast a phone as possible either ;) :o ;D ::)

JamesGem

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 05:57:22 pm »
I wouldn’t worry about future proofing.

Six months or so after this has been released, Planet would be running low on revenue again, and announce a new device to get the pre-orders revenue in again. In the meantime, while developing the new product, very little effort is put into maintaining the support one would expect for those that have already purchased one of Planet’s current devices, not even the basics such as security updates.

I wish Planet would move away from this unsustainable business model, as the devices do have a genuine appeal. And I’d like to continue to use mine, but sadly, I fear the model is doomed, probably because the appeal is too limited to generate Planet an ongoing income.

Can’t really say I’m motivated to give them any more chances with my money.

RonWard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2021, 10:51:29 am »
Just received UK PC Pro Mag.
Iss 318 April 2021 and on page 39, CES 2021, List’s, Planet Computers Astro Slide Price Around £800 Available JUNE 2021.
…………………While there have been setbacks, most notably the need to drop down from a 2.4GHz Media Tek Dimensity 1000 SoC to the 2GHz Dimensity 800, Planet Computers assures us the Astro Slide is still snappy while deliverying on the key needs of its backers; …………full review as soon as the product starts shipping.

Have also produced an update of the spec to show changes and it does not look great!!!!

2.4GHz Media Tek Dimensity 1000 SoC: Bit suspicious about only being made available to Chinese market?  Years ago when I was in Malaysia I remarked that there seems to be a lot of bike & electrical products that are not available in UK and was told that the Japanese release them to find the bugs and then sell to US and European market under another name.