Author Topic: New firmware released and CODI version.  (Read 4084 times)

Steve Goodey

• View Profile
New firmware released and CODI version.
« on: March 22, 2021, 06:19:30 am »
As subject and after a nudge from #planet-devices new firmware released. After it's installed a new CODI is also available.

I found the CODI install needed airplane mode, DND, wifi and bluetooth off after CODI download.

Zarhan

• View Profile
Re: New firmware released and CODI version.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 06:27:34 am »
The changelog in updater says just "Security update and firmware improvements". https://support.planetcom.co.uk/ does not yet have details either.

So, any observations yet on what's actually changed?

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 07:50:43 am »
Indiegogo posting just included the changes:

This version includes the following:

Security patches up to Jan 2021
    Bug fixes and improvements
    Keyboard driver improvements - no delay when opening Cosmo
    Bootloader improvements - you can now set the default booting partition
    Cover Display assistant - more optimised flashing process
    Internal changes to enable future Planet Backup software to run on Cosmo

cam1965

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 12:14:26 pm »
Thank you. Already installed.

ianisthewalrus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 12:21:07 pm »
curious to hear how the updates treat everyone. want to avoid the late teens/early 20s fiasco from last year  8)

Pikku-iikka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 02:44:02 pm »
Everything working still fine after 10 hrs of use... Haven't tracked down any bug corrections, though.

I myself have found only one slightly annoying bug in the former releases, and it seems to be still here: If you have two SIM cards in, and have enabled a setting that when you make a call, you are asked which SIM to use for the call: Then you can't make any calls from the CoDi. You can select the number, but nothing happens when pressing it. No questions asked, no call. When cover is open, all works as expected. Well, maybe it is not bug but a feature... No, must be a bug... But I can live with it.

Once again, the CoDi update went with the first try. After downloading but before flashing I swiped the settings icons visible and tapped: CoDi off, Aeroplane mode on, Do not disturb on. Then flashed.
Pikku-iikka (alias Little Ike - 194 cm / 130 kg)
Planet Cosmo Communicator
Samsung Note 8, Jolla Phone (Sailfish), Nokia N9 (Meego)
Raspberry Pi 4B / RetroPie setup emulating Amiga.

Daniel W

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 03:23:18 pm »
The update itself was fairly smooth, for me anyway. On the first attempt, the firmware download stalled, without downloading anything, but I just backed out of it, tried again, and it worked. Both the download and the installation were fairly fast, so I reckon there weren't all that many changes this time.

Once Android was updated, I started the CoDi Assistant, which found 1.1.1.15 and downloaded it quickly. Just trying to install it (I had to try) didn't work, as usual, but after going to flight mode, do not disturb and turning the CoDi off from the notification shade, it flashed successfully in just a few minutes, on the first attempt. I will presume I just got lucky. While previous updates of the CoDi, has been a two-step process, flashing resources and the firmware separately, it seemed to only flash the firmware this time. Perhaps it could (re)use the existing resources?

I mainly look forward to see if the CoDi will be any less unstable now. I usually have to restart mine from the notification shade five or so times a day, when it's stuck showing the Planet logo instead of the time, a broken menu or, most often, nothing. It would also be VERY nice if it could abstain from waking up all the time, unless there is something I might actually want to know - not just that, say, AirMail did NOT find anything to download... but, well, while "not crashing all the time" should be achievable, implementing a useful notification filter is, reasonably, much harder. 

[Edit 2021-Jun-04: Fixed a silly typo]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 10:04:55 am by Daniel W »

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 03:42:10 pm »
Good to know. I'll still take backups and wait until weekend of my upgrade though :)

vldmr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 04:27:10 pm »
For me updating codi took 4 tries in airplane/dnd mode, after which the assistant reported that codi does not respond. After (cold) restart it came up just fine.

I noted that with this update right after restart the free memory settles for me at 3.79GB out of 5.63 (as reported by T-UI status line). I kind of remember it used to be higher than 4GB before, but maybe thats false memory and I have installed since something that backgrounds and eats memory

jakfish

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 10:09:25 am »
Also can confirm that CODI takes several tries before it catches (using vldmr's approach). Once it actually started flashing, the process held.

As for the wireless update, those Plant spinning balls last a while in the reboot. Don't panic :)

Jake

Zarhan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2021, 02:32:46 am »
Soo....any funny business (other than maybe Airmail) after the upgrade? No one has mentioned anything drastic so it seems safe.

Anything about power consumption?

Onkel Otto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 05:51:51 pm »
With this firmware v25 I finally decided to change to Planets rooted image.
One reason is, that their rooted image is signed and does not require an unlocked bootloader.

The other reason is, that PC removed the need to create a 30 GB Linux partition with firmware v25.
This was announced on Planets support page "https://support.planetcom.co.uk/index.php/Rooted_Android_For_Cosmo" with this note:
"
Note that in recent firmwares you will also have the option to keep all the storage for Android while allowing the installation of TWRP and rooted Android, which is useful if you want to have a rooted Android without using Linux.
"

Their recovery got a new entry in [Change the partition table of your COSMO]:
[Reserve most of the storage for Android (allow TWRP and rooted Android)]
See attached screenshot "01 Reserve most of the storage for Android.jpg"

The output of this command shows that partitions 38, 41, 42, 43 and 44 will be created.
See attached screenshot "02 Create partitons.jpg"

A few commands later the partitions 38, 41, 42 were renamed to
EMPTY_RECOVERY_BOOT_2
EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_3
EMPTY_NORMAL_BOOT_4
See attached screenshot "03 Rename Partitions.jpg"

As far as I understand the numbers in the mkpart command the sizes of the partitions 38, 41 and 43 are almost 64 MByte and partition 42 is exactly 64 MByte in size.
Partition 43 has got the name [linux].
As far as I understand this, there is still an unused partition for Linux. It is just not 30 GB in size but only 64 MB.
Is my understanding correct regarding this?

But I don't understand the size of partition 44 - userdata.
According to the mkpart command this partition has a size of almost 223 GByte. But the COSMO has just 128 GByte of internal storage.
Where is my mistake?